REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #51
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
^im actually amazed the test is that thorough. regardless of being on a dyno or real life.

i assumed they did something like put it on a dyno with no resistance and cruised at 60km/h and recorded the number. lol
Advertisement
Old 11-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #52
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Great, a bunch of people repeating stuff they heard from each other, same as what I'm seeing on here. That's why I asked, because I DID look on google and I couldn't find anything credible.

So you can stick your facepalm up your ass.

Also, google isn't 'ask jeeves'. You don't ask it questions.

Modern fuel injected cars measure ambient air temperature. When temperature goes up, they increase the amount of fuel injected to richen the mixture and prevent detonation. So your car can run leaner in the cold.

That was my understanding, but I'm definitely open to hearing an explanation of why that might not be true.

They use less fuel when cold (after the initial startup)
Oil temperature rapidly gets up to normal temperature
AC runs in the summer too
It's not always snowing when its cold
Dirty cars have less drag (mythbusters!)

So except for the very short period of initial warmup, I still don't understand. Maybe if your average journey is only 10 minutes or something.

I think a more likely explanation is that people drive more slowly in the winter. It has nothing to do with the car at all.

Most new cars have the A/C compressor on when your defrost is on, which also turns on the rad fan, making it the warm up cycle a lot longer in winter.

My wifes versa gets 500km to a tank in summer and 400km in winter. We've had the car for 3 years and its the same every year.

As to the article 7.9l/per 100km is actually pretty good. As mentioned elsewhere the rating system is set by transport Canada, you can't blame the manufacturers for useing goverment tests. BTW my wifes versa doesn't get anywhere near the Canadian rating, but bang on the US rating.
Fastam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #53
Need to Seek Professional Help

stupid people... calgary is around 1,084 m (3,557 ft) above sea level so less air... and its really cold in winter, and really hot in the summer... plus fuel economy also depends on the driving style, and how well you maintain your car... maybe they drive like a douchebag... i don't get y they are b!tching anyways, since their gas is so much cheaper...
95 AE101L -sold-
GotRice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:48 AM   #54
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
I still don't get why Splinter is adamant that multiple people are wrong on the same subject. Unless you are trolling. Otherwise, stahp.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #55
straight from the fields of squamton

I had a cruze with a 1.4l. it even had the eco package with the crazy transmission. it was rated at 4.5l/100

Best I ever saw, which was fuel computer reset at the midpoint of the ironworkers bridge, out to hope, at the speed limit was 5.2l/100. That car was so unrealistic it wasn't funny. I'd be lucky to get 7l/100 on the sea to sky! While i honestly wasn't expecting to get 4.5 on the sea to sky, it was upsetting

then the engine blew up at 24k kms and i traded it in for a speed 3

The speed3 is rated at 8l/100 highway, and I can consistanly get lower numbers than that. I can get better numbers than the cruze did on the sea to sky!!

so why was the cruze rated soooo far under my normal average, and the speed 3 is almost always better than rated????
Old 11-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #56
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
I still don't get why Splinter is adamant that multiple people are wrong on the same subject. Unless you are trolling. Otherwise, stahp.
Because no one has actually explained it yet.

It doesn't matter if 50 people say the same thing, if they all heard it from the same incorrect source.

I'm not saying they're wrong, I just want to hear an explanation. I'm genuinely curious.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #57
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
That Google thing - CRAZY. I didn't even type in a question **mind blown**....is the US Department of Energy credible enough, or is this another "incorrect source" for you?

Many Factors Affect MPG
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990TSI View Post
I had a cruze with a 1.4l. it even had the eco package with the crazy transmission. it was rated at 4.5l/100

Best I ever saw, which was fuel computer reset at the midpoint of the ironworkers bridge, out to hope, at the speed limit was 5.2l/100. That car was so unrealistic it wasn't funny. I'd be lucky to get 7l/100 on the sea to sky! While i honestly wasn't expecting to get 4.5 on the sea to sky, it was upsetting

then the engine blew up at 24k kms and i traded it in for a speed 3

The speed3 is rated at 8l/100 highway, and I can consistanly get lower numbers than that. I can get better numbers than the cruze did on the sea to sky!!

so why was the cruze rated soooo far under my normal average, and the speed 3 is almost always better than rated????

The us gov data, which is bang on accurate for all 3 of my cars, dissagrees with you. So does the consumer reported data.
Compare Side-by-Side
Old 11-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
That Google thing - CRAZY. I didn't even type in a question **mind blown**....is the US Department of Energy credible enough, or is this another "incorrect source" for you?

Many Factors Affect MPG
Is it really necessary to be such a sarcastic piece of shit or can you converse like a normal human being?

I don't get why you're 'coming at me'. I said something which may have been incorrect, people offered different opinions, I asked for something to back it up so I could understand it.

No need to act the way you are.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #60

Quote:

It doesn't matter if 50 people say the same thing, if they all heard it from the same incorrect source.

I'm not saying they're wrong, I just want to hear an explanation. I'm genuinely curious.

I can elaborate on my above post.Even the owners manual on my versa says it will get worse millage in winter time. This is because of several factors, when the defrost is on the A/C compressor is always on. As the A/C dries the air while heating it, creating parastitic loss. In order to run the A/C the rad fan comes on, so its always pulling extremely cool air (compared to summer) it takes far longer to reach operating temp, up to 5-6 min of driving. ECUs add fuel to bring a car up to operating temp. If you've ever had a car with a bad coolant temp sensor you'd get horrible fuel millage all the time as the ECU defauts into warm up mode if the temp reads to low or not at all.

I have a data logger on my BMW that shows the exact coolant temp in winter its always 15-20 degrees colder. My IATs are are 20-30 degrees cooler in winter. The logger shows the ECU adding fuel and timming, consequently the car makes more power in winter , but its worse on fuel, to the tune of about 3 mpgs on average.

Gasoline engines have poor thermal efficiency, much of the heat they produce is lost and not used to produce work, the colder it is, the less efficient they are.

If my explanstions aren't enough. Read this.
Why is the fuel economy of an automobile worse in the winter than in the summer?: Scientific American

Last edited by Fastam; 11-27-2013 at 05:52 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #61

Intelligent, insightful, well written and polite.

Thank you, sir.
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #62
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
"You SPEND $7,250 more in fuel costs over 5 years compared to the average new vehicle"

fuck hah.....
Old 11-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #63
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Is it really necessary to be such a sarcastic piece of shit or can you converse like a normal human being?

I don't get why you're 'coming at me'. I said something which may have been incorrect, people offered different opinions, I asked for something to back it up so I could understand it.

No need to act the way you are.
I suggest Google - hundreds of links to answer your exact question, you swear at me in two different posts, and I'm not conversing like a human in your eyes. Sorry you took a simple post the wrong way.

Not coming at you, I just don't act like you.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
I suggest Google - hundreds of links to answer your exact question, you swear at me in two different posts, and I'm not conversing like a human in your eyes. Sorry you took a simple post the wrong way.

Not coming at you, I just don't act like you.
You suggested it in an extremely rude fashion.

Anyway, whatever it doesn't matter.

Last edited by Splinter; 11-27-2013 at 05:57 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #65
Banned By Establishment

Quote:

3 different people explained it. You claim they are all wrong. That is quite possibly the stupidest reasoning for not accepting you are wrong, that I have ever heard, and I have read a lot of Timpo posts.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #66
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
You suggested it in an extremely rude fashion.

Anyway, whatever it doesn't matter.
HAHAHAHAHAHA. Pull your wet fucking panties out of your goddamn back pussy. Jesus fuck woman.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
3 different people explained it. You claim they are all wrong. That is quite possibly the stupidest reasoning for not accepting you are wrong, that I have ever heard, and I have read a lot of Timpo posts.
I did accept that I was wrong, when someone explained it properly with a credible source.
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #68
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:

so you say no one has explained anything.

i posted this a page back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
gas has different mixtures in the summer and winter. winter gas contains more butane which contains less energy so you burn more

engines are made to run best at normal operating temp and burn more fuel when cold

even things as simple as oils are significantly thicker when they are cold (engine, tranny, difs, grease in bearings)

AC running when your windshield defroster is on

Simply having to push thru slush and snow

plus all the way smaller reasons like colder air being denser, dirty car having more air drag, etc
you refuted or simply argued (incorrectly or otherwise) all of my points except the first one which you apparently didn't look on google

Quote:
Great, a bunch of people repeating stuff they heard from each other, same as what I'm seeing on here. That's why I asked, because I DID look on google and I couldn't find anything credible.

They use less fuel when cold (after the initial startup)
Oil temperature rapidly gets up to normal temperature
AC runs in the summer too
It's not always snowing when its cold
Dirty cars have less drag (mythbusters!)
You say everyone's opinion is invalid because it it just their opinion, then you turn around and say things like

Quote:
Can you explain that? It goes against everything I know about engines.
and
Quote:
That was my understanding,
So maybe your 'understanding and 'everything [you] know about engines', was, infact, incorrect.