REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS
 
xpl0sive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burnaby,BC
Posts: 2,053
Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
If I were the reviewer, I wouldn't even read the letters. Prohibitions, aside from IRPs, are served because of the driver's history of bad driving. The offences are already on your record, which means you plead guilty to those offences. If you plead guilty to the those offences, and kept committing infractions, then you obviously have no remorse for your actions and/or don't care about the safety of other drivers around you. A driving needing their vehicle for work etc isn't a reason to have a Prohibition reversed, imo. They should have thought about that before they committed their 5th or 6th or 100th infraction of the year.
Great way to generalize, typical cop. You do know that it only takes 4 points to get suspended if you have a class 7N license, right? That means you can get one speeding ticket (3 points) and one drive contrary to restriction ticket, like not having an N sign or having too many passengers (3 points), in the time frame of 2 years and you get suspended for 4 months and have to restart your N for another 2 years. How can you sit there and say that a person who gets one ticket per year has no remorse for their actions and/or doesn't care about the safety of others? It doesn't take 5 or 6 or 100 infractions to get suspended when you have an N....
Advertisement
__________________
Fast, Reliable, Cheap

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #27
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
To quote the old cowboy movies...."let's not string him up right now...let's give him a fair trial.....then hang 'em.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,625
Thanked 7,179 Times in 2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
Great way to generalize, typical cop. You do know that it only takes 4 points to get suspended if you have a class 7N license, right? That means you can get one speeding ticket (3 points) and one drive contrary to restriction ticket, like not having an N sign or having too many passengers (3 points), in the time frame of 2 years and you get suspended for 4 months and have to restart your N for another 2 years. How can you sit there and say that a person who gets one ticket per year has no remorse for their actions and/or doesn't care about the safety of others? It doesn't take 5 or 6 or 100 infractions to get suspended when you have an N....
I got one speeding ticket, and one failure to display my N sign while I had my N, and I didnt get shit. So something tells me this guy has atleast more tickets then that...
__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #29
My homepage has been set to RS
 
xpl0sive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burnaby,BC
Posts: 2,053
Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
I got one speeding ticket, and one failure to display my N sign while I had my N, and I didnt get shit. So something tells me this guy has atleast more tickets then that...
Failure to display N doesn't have any points. You got lucky and the cop was nice and gave you the no points ticket instead of the one with 3 points
__________________
Fast, Reliable, Cheap

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #30
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
Great way to generalize, typical cop. You do know that it only takes 4 points to get suspended if you have a class 7N license, right? That means you can get one speeding ticket (3 points) and one drive contrary to restriction ticket, like not having an N sign or having too many passengers (3 points), in the time frame of 2 years and you get suspended for 4 months and have to restart your N for another 2 years. How can you sit there and say that a person who gets one ticket per year has no remorse for their actions and/or doesn't care about the safety of others? It doesn't take 5 or 6 or 100 infractions to get suspended when you have an N....
do you read much? The following is what the OP posted,

Ok so long story short, I haven't been the best driver on the road . I have received a few speeding tickets and also a previous 7 day prohibtion due to blowing a 'WARN' after a night of few drinks. Since then, I learnt my lesson and improved my driving on the road.

And so what if it only takes a couple of tickets a year to have your licence reviewed if you are a class 7 driver? There is a reason why the MVB is stricter on "new" drivers. If a new driver wants to drive around without an N sign, that is their own choice/risk. If they want to speed, that is their own choice.

Thanks for your useful input in this thread. Have a good night.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #31
My homepage has been set to RS
 
xpl0sive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burnaby,BC
Posts: 2,053
Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
I was not responding to his post, I was responding to yours, which is why I quoted YOUR post. You stated that if you were the reviewer, you wouldn't even read the letters because EVERYONE who got suspended and wrote a letter has committed a number of offenses and has no regard for the safety of others

^another post edited after I made you look like a tool... should have quoted the original post
__________________
Fast, Reliable, Cheap

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.

Last edited by xpl0sive; 11-29-2013 at 02:07 PM.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #32
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
I was not responding to his post, I was responding to yours, which is why I quoted YOUR post. You stated that if you were the reviewer, you wouldn't even read the letters because EVERYONE who got suspended and wrote a letter has committed a number of offenses and has no regard for the safety of others
So you think that a NOVICE driver is considerate of others around them when they speed, carry more passengers than they should, change lanes unsafely, conduct illegal u turns, drive without a seat belt, use a cell phone, etc etc etc? It's already illegal for class 5 driver's to do the above, but a Novice driver with limited driving experience is more of a risk.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #33
My homepage has been set to RS
 
xpl0sive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burnaby,BC
Posts: 2,053
Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Going with the flow of traffic in most parts of GVRD is technically speeding. So yes they are being considerate of others by keeping up with the flow and not slowing everyone down behind them.
__________________
Fast, Reliable, Cheap

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #34
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
Going with the flow of traffic in most parts of GVRD is technically speeding. So yes they are being considerate of others by keeping up with the flow and not slowing everyone down behind them.
we can argue about the flow of traffic all day and night. I am not going there.

I cannot speak for all cops, but the ones I know, including myself are pretty lenient with respect to speed limits within the city, depending on the type of road and the conditions. I have never given a ticket to anyone traveling 51-70km/hr in a 50 zone.

now back on topic...
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #35
My homepage has been set to RS
 
xpl0sive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burnaby,BC
Posts: 2,053
Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Well you generalized once again and said "speeding". You didn't specify if they were going 10, 20, 30, 80, 100 km/h over the speed limit. Going 10 over the limit, conditions permitting, would not endanger the general public a whole lot, but you can still technically get a ticket for it and get 3 points.

Regardless, you get two tickets with points in TWO years, you lose your license. That is not reasonable to me.

By the way, there are no points for not wearing a seat belt
__________________
Fast, Reliable, Cheap

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #36
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
Well you generalized once again and said "speeding". You didn't specify if they were going 10, 20, 30, 80, 100 km/h over the speed limit. Going 10 over the limit, conditions permitting, would not endanger the general public a whole lot, but you can still technically get a ticket for it and get 3 points.

Regardless, you get two tickets with points in TWO years, you lose your license. That is not reasonable to me.

By the way, there are no points for not wearing a seat belt
thanks Captain ICBC
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #37
My homepage has been set to RS
 
xpl0sive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burnaby,BC
Posts: 2,053
Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
You're the cop here not me...

Funny how when you're wrong you resort to name calling... real mature

By the way, nice edit of your post ^
__________________
Fast, Reliable, Cheap

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.

Last edited by xpl0sive; 11-28-2013 at 11:16 PM.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #38
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
You're the cop here not me...
I issue tickets. I'm not responsible for the penalty points associated to them. Just like I recommend Charges, and don't sentence people.

I apologize that you took that as name calling. I thought you would be honoured as you clearly know a lot about ICBC and their penalty point system.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #39
My homepage has been set to RS
 
xpl0sive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burnaby,BC
Posts: 2,053
Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
So what exactly is your contribution to this thread, or any post in this forum for that matter?
__________________
Fast, Reliable, Cheap

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #40
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
So what exactly is your contribution to this thread, or any post in this forum for that matter?
The same question can be asked to you. I simply quoted, and added to a reply in the first page, which obviously rustled your feathers.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #41
My homepage has been set to RS
 
xpl0sive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burnaby,BC
Posts: 2,053
Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
I actually try to help the people who ask questions and offer advice from my past experiences and actual knowledge about MVA and ICBC
__________________
Fast, Reliable, Cheap

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #42
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
I actually try to help the people who ask questions and offer advice from my past experiences and actual knowledge about MVA and ICBC
RS thanks you for that!

I like to express my opinions from the experiences I've encountered on and off the job. If you don't like it, so sorry.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #43
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
[QUOTE=dhillon09;8371114]this just in....
scientists at UCLA confirm that humans do indeed only live once



UCLA must have missed this then.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Only_Live_Twice_(film)
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #44
nma
#RVG
 
nma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Richmond
Posts: 557
Thanked 624 Times in 201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
we can argue about the flow of traffic all day and night. I am not going there.

I cannot speak for all cops, but the ones I know, including myself are pretty lenient with respect to speed limits within the city, depending on the type of road and the conditions. I have never given a ticket to anyone traveling 51-70km/hr in a 50 zone.

now back on topic...
Lucky for us, there are some cops like you who don't hand out the tickets like you described. Unfortunately for me, I've actually been pulled out of traffic to get a ticket for speeding, where I then discovered my N had been missing (There was a dirty outline of where it used to be that morning). Of course, I still received both tickets. Luckily I was not suspended because I disputed the tickets until I got my full license.
nma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #45
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy
 
snails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: in a shell
Posts: 2,581
Thanked 5,912 Times in 1,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecchiecchi View Post
Don't bother writing a letter. I haven't heard of a case where they changed their minds.

Just start serving your time and save yourself the fee for review.

to reply to a few posts but to start with this one. i had my licence prohibited a few years ago, i got 1 ticket and that did it for me "driving without consideration" wasnt stunting or anything and the cop lied and told me it was a 3 point ticket and my licence was safe.. and then i got a letter 2-3 months later



anyways i turned in my licence and disputed it by sending in a letter an the $100 and they reduced it by over a month.

i would understand then not bothering with disputes but you pay them $100 to read a letter.. i hope they give it some consideration..

dont expect a reply for almost 2 months if you do plan to dispute and when this is all over its going to be an expensive trip to get your licence back aswell as restarting your N

my ticket was $300 iirc
5-6 points? so its $100 a point after 3 points you have to pay back so 2-300$
then icbc has a re installment fee "cmon.. you cant expect them to lose money" and that was between 2-400$ and then you need a new licence thats 50-80$

ballpark about $1000 to get my licence back and then you need to drive like a saint.. next offense you commit you will lose it again. "offense being a ticket that carries points"

i happily have my class 5, i suggest getting that as soon as possible.. takes alot more to lose you licence. not suggesting driving like an idiot is a good thing, its just very easy to lose it with you N
snails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #46
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,097
Thanked 206 Times in 71 Posts
^ I got a notice of intent to prohibit over not having an N sign. First one was when I got into an accident and it fell off the back window of my vehicle from the impact. When the officer question me about it, I produced the N sign and showed him marks from the suction cup that was holding it up.

Second time was when I opted to put it on the back of the vehicle and people kept swiping it. It wasn't until the 3rd time someone took it before a police officer stopped me and gave me a ticket. I argued it on the spot but the officer assured me there would be no points associated and that I should just pay up.

A week after I went to ICBC to pay my fines, I got a notice with intent to prohibit. Both times they ticketed me from "Driving Contrary to Restriction."

I wrote a letter to a reviewer stating my case and I never heard back from them.

Coles notes of the letter:
- I was ticketed for no N sign but I had it both times.
- I required a vehicle to go to work.
- I need to work to pay for university.

I made the mistake of paying the ticket before taking my road test. Due to that stupidity, I had to drive like a saint for another 2 years.
__________________
:o
ecchiecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #47
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 4,922
Thanked 4,254 Times in 1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
So you think that a NOVICE driver is considerate of others around them when they speed, carry more passengers than they should, change lanes unsafely, conduct illegal u turns, drive without a seat belt, use a cell phone, etc etc etc? It's already illegal for class 5 driver's to do the above, but a Novice driver with limited driving experience is more of a risk.
Something seems slightly inaccurate in regards to the statements in bold...
__________________
2017 F150 FX4 1/30/17

2007 Mustang GT 11/01/17

2016 Subaru WRX 6MT 04/25/16 - 02/25/17 (SOLD)

2014 Ford Mustang 06/26/13 - 04/25/16 (SOLD)

With Function, form will follow
dared3vil0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #48
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
Something seems slightly inaccurate in regards to the statements in bold...
If you want to nit pick. I can easily justify that comment by saying >1 passenger for a class 7 driver, and a class 5 driver carrying >4 passengers in a vehicle with 5 seats total.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #49
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecchiecchi View Post
^ I got a notice of intent to prohibit over not having an N sign. First one was when I got into an accident and it fell off the back window of my vehicle from the impact. When the officer question me about it, I produced the N sign and showed him marks from the suction cup that was holding it up.

Second time was when I opted to put it on the back of the vehicle and people kept swiping it. It wasn't until the 3rd time someone took it before a police officer stopped me and gave me a ticket. I argued it on the spot but the officer assured me there would be no points associated and that I should just pay up.

A week after I went to ICBC to pay my fines, I got a notice with intent to prohibit. Both times they ticketed me from "Driving Contrary to Restriction."

I wrote a letter to a reviewer stating my case and I never heard back from them.

Coles notes of the letter:
- I was ticketed for no N sign but I had it both times.
- I required a vehicle to go to work.
- I need to work to pay for university.

I made the mistake of paying the ticket before taking my road test. Due to that stupidity, I had to drive like a saint for another 2 years.

Don't ya just hate when you actually have to obey the laws? Hope you're back to normal now.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #50
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jegglez View Post
Thanks guys, lots of optimism here. Well then, I'll start my letter now and let you guys know know when they reduce my prohibition sentence

Someone here just suggested that your letter might be more likely to be read and accepted if you started it with......"Dear Penhouse Forum, you might not believe this but..............."
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net