REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 12-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

Wheel setup for 2000 Honda Prelude SE

I'm a newbie so go easy on me. So I recently bought a prelude. It came with the stock 16" SE wheels , as well as a set of 18" MSR 045 wheels. I wasn't familiar with what would work and what wouldn't work on a prelude so I went ahead and paid a bit extra for the 18's.

A few days later when I put them on my car I came to find out that not only do they rub over bumps and turns,
It's a terrible ride with those.

Now I'm back on the 16's which I love but I'd like to keep them as a winter set. I looked around and I'm considering a set of 17's. I'm sure there is tons of forums on this topic but I couldn't find anything on someone who was dealing with a stock suspension.

Pretty much what I want to know is what are my options in terms of wheel and tire sizes without making my car look stupid. I am on stock suspension at the moment but somewhere down the road I might want to throw some coilovers or lowering springs on the car
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
aj94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
18s will rub on stock suspension. If you put on coilovers, they'll be fine. But imo, 18s are a bit too big. ATM Ive got 17s and imo, I sort of want to go smaller or wider... Also...I'm not sure about the wideness of the wheels, but for offset, anything less than +30 is going to look mexiflush rediculous

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-04-2013, 02:21 AM   #3
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 2,028 Times in 501 Posts
i had 17's on my bb2 and it was definatly the way to go,

but for a full database of wheel setups check out

RIMTUCK.com

shows you pictures and details like:
camber
rolls/pulls
coils or springs
wheels and offsets.
spacers ect.

its useful
Nicotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:48 AM   #4
I am Hook'd on RS

That's the thing, I want to do it once and do it right. Last thing I want to do is dish out tons of money for wheels and eventually realizing it's not the setup I want. Hopefully someone buys the 18s from me soon so I can use that money towards another set of wheels.

The wheels were 18x8 with a +35 offset, on 235/40/18..pretty much a terrible ride.

I was even considering just getting some coilovers and leaving the car on the 16s for the time being. Anyone have any suggestions for wheels that would work well with a lowered 5th gen lude? I really like the look of the xxr 521 wheel
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-04-2013, 03:37 AM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
^ I'm planning on getting either enkei J10s or RPF01s. I've seen some preludes rock BBS RS rims and RAYS CE 28s, but idk if you want to dish out that kind of money. Also, someone on here has xxr 521s but with a +25 offset...

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
OFFSET

i would have stuck with 225/4018s

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Yup, those wheels specs w/ 225/40's should be close enough to stock that they wouldn't rub. If you hate the ride on 235/40/18's, I doubt you'll like it any more on 225/45/17 or 215/45/17's. You can't expect the same ride comfort with a lower profile tire but your handling should improve - it's a tradeoff, same with swapping suspensions.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
^ I'm planning on getting either enkei J10s or RPF01s. I've seen some preludes rock BBS RS rims and RAYS CE 28s, but idk if you want to dish out that kind of money. Also, someone on here has xxr 521s but with a +25 offset...
I know someone with rpf01's on their prelude, it's a really nice wheel. I'm hoping to maybe just find someone on Craigslist or here that has a nice set of wheels that are up for trade or even sale. I'd just rather sell the set I have lying around before buying new ones just to be safe
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by aj94; 12-04-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
Yup, those wheels specs w/ 225/40's should be close enough to stock that they wouldn't rub. If you hate the ride on 235/40/18's, I doubt you'll like it any more on 225/45/17 or 215/45/17's. You can't expect the same ride comfort with a lower profile tire but your handling should improve - it's a tradeoff, same with swapping suspensions.
Don't really know how to quote multiple replies so sorry in advance.

Yeah that would make sense, I think I'd only be able to work with a 205/40 or 215/40 tire...or am I wrong?

I can sacrifice a bit of comfort for handling and overall performance so I'm fine with that, I just don't want to feel like I'm driving on the wheel itself haha
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #10

My point is that the sidewall on a 235/40/18 is taller (thicker) than a 215-225/40-45/17, so if you hate the way it rides now, you'll hate it even more with those sizes.

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
Old 12-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
My point is that the sidewall on a 235/40/18 is taller (thicker) than a 215-225/40-45/17, so if you hate the way it rides now, you'll hate it even more with those sizes.
Oh okay, I see what you mean..comfort wise right? I think it would be bearable if I could turn without rubbing and having to be so cautious. Do you think that would be possible with a 205 or 215? I remember with the 18s it was like turning a truck and I didn't have enough clearance to turn my wheels all the way. Sorry If I sound stupid, I'm pretty new to all of this lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #12

Personally, I'd stick with a 225/40/18 or if you go 17's, 225/40/17 or 215/45/17. I think your main issues are that the tires are too wide and your suspension's too soft.

If it were up to me, I'd get a suspension I like, drive on it with the stock wheels for a bit, then decide on wheels and tires. In the meantime, do some reading and maybe see if you can catch a ride with guys with similar cars at a meet or something. Don't rule out that you might have to roll your fenders and remold your liner a bit.

RSUV #7
Old 12-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #13
I am Hook'd on RS

^ Yeah I talked to a few people about it and they suggested getting the suspension first and then seeing what I have to work with. Do you know of any decent suspension off the top of your head, maybe something decently priced but still good? Is there a meet for newbies like me? Haha

Don't have much done to my car but nonetheless, I'd like to bring it out and see what suggestions people have.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

This is all you need.

Recommended Tire size & Offsets! - Honda Prelude Forum
dahonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #15
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahonga View Post
Yeah I was checking that out recently, that was really the most helpful thing I've come across so far. I just wanted to ask around and see what people have on their cars. Like I said, Last thing I want is for my car to look stupid after spending all that money. Thanks though!
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #16
I am Hook'd on RS

So I found a set of 17x7 xxr 521's but the owner is unsure of the offset. After checking some websites I'm pretty sure it is 38. They're on 205/45/r17 tires. I know the ideal offset for a prelude is between 40-50 but I really want to know if this wheel setup will fit without rubbing. If not, is there something that can be done to make them fit? I'm currently sitting at stock height, but I plan on lowering in the near future. I'm totally new to this stuff so if I sound stupid, go easy on me. Thanks in advance!
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #17
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj94 View Post
So I found a set of 17x7 xxr 521's but the owner is unsure of the offset. After checking some websites I'm pretty sure it is 38. They're on 205/45/r17 tires. I know the ideal offset for a prelude is between 40-50 but I really want to know if this wheel setup will fit without rubbing. If not, is there something that can be done to make them fit? I'm currently sitting at stock height, but I plan on lowering in the near future. I'm totally new to this stuff so if I sound stupid, go easy on me. Thanks in advance!
Posted via RS Mobile

They should fit, since the xxr's aren't that aggresive. Don't think it'll rub, unless your suspension is really soft or something.
PLUJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUJ View Post
They should fit, since the xxr's aren't that aggresive. Don't think it'll rub, unless your suspension is really soft or something.
I'm still on the stock suspension which is why I'm still a bit hesitant. I think I might get some coilovers before I get wheels then. Any suggestions for a good coilover kit?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #19
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
look at your budget and go from there. i have function n form on my prelude. otehr common ones are BC racing and TEINs, personally id go with BC or F&F

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #20
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
look at your budget and go from there. i have function n form on my prelude. otehr common ones are BC racing and TEINs, personally id go with BC or F&F
don't really have a set budget, i'll probably kind of just find something i like and then set money aside depending on that. Hopefully I can find something that's decent but not too expensive
Old 12-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #21
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
if you take my suggestion for coilovers and go with BC or F&F , they cost about 900$ US, so keep that in mind. going to be a bit more if you buy them locally.

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #22
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj94 View Post
I'm still on the stock suspension which is why I'm still a bit hesitant. I think I might get some coilovers before I get wheels then. Any suggestions for a good coilover kit?
Posted via RS Mobile
Definitely do this. Suspension is a way better first step than wheels.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #23
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
if you take my suggestion for coilovers and go with BC or F&F , they cost about 900$ US, so keep that in mind. going to be a bit more if you buy them locally.
Do you think it would be worth it to maybe just order them from the US and pick them up at the border?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-04-2014, 05:53 AM   #24
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
also forgot.

5th gen preludes have a little plastic tab on the rear bumper where it meets the rear quarter panel in the rear wheel wells, you might just want to trim it off when you lower the car as the wheels/tires will rub against it.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #25
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 2,028 Times in 501 Posts
you need to get the rest of your suspension upgraded first.
especially if your going to be keeping the wheels for a while.
that way you know how much room your actually playing with in the end.
get coilovers first and lower it to a comfortable point.
if your worrying about rubbing i recommend you find a set of coilovers to adjust height and dampening (stiffness) the reality is if you want to be low, alot of times its not comfortable. and if your on springs after a while you get bouncy.
also prerolling fenders wouldn't be a bad idea either. even if you dont need it, its good to know you have the room.

it seems right now like this would cost you more money, but in reality were saving you from buying another set of wheels/tires later on.
ive made the mistake. dosent feel good.

Last edited by Nicotine; 01-05-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Nicotine is offline   Reply With Quote