REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 12-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Hotel in Calgary...

Anyone been to either one of these and have comments?

Westin Calgary or Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire

Currently debating between the 2... Planning to go in May or June 2014... They are pretty close to each other and are located in central Calgary..

Thanks for any input
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2013, 05:34 AM   #2
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
doesn't matter, cause there is not a lot to do in downtown calgary, you'll be driving lots so.

there is not like a huge robson or downtown to hang out so don't expect much from downtown.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,507 Times in 4,310 Posts
I've stayed at both. It just comes down to a preference between the two hotels. I personally prefer the Westin myself but both hotels have been fine. I don't really have anything to add unless you have a specific question.

Not sure when you were last in Calgary but it has changed quite a bit, compared to maybe 5 years ago? There have been more pubs/bars and restaurants that have popped up in the downtown core but like you said, it's nothing like Robson or Downtown Vancouver. Pretty much everything after 5pm in Downtown Calgary is closed save for the establishments I mentioned.

Just an FYI for the OP - the Eau Claire Market across from the Sheraton is not all that exciting. It's nothing like Lonsdale Quay or Granville Island.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
G
Banned (BBM)

Stayed at the Westin. Not bad. There's also the Marriott downtown as well. If you want something close to the airport, the Best Western Freeport is pretty good.
G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
doesn't matter, cause there is not a lot to do in downtown calgary, you'll be driving lots so.

there is not like a huge robson or downtown to hang out so don't expect much from downtown.
Good to know you were able to visit Calgary back in 1957.

Now there is actually a lot of good places to go to in downtown Calgary, especially on 17th ave. The ship and Anchor is a great pub to check out or you can try National if you are interested in one of their MANY draft brews.

As for a good hotel, the Sheraton on 32nd ave is where my friends Company meetings are EVERY year. They have been going since eternity and it always seems pleasant for them. Its close to the airport, but about 10 minutes from Downtown.
sevewone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post

Just an FYI for the OP - the Eau Claire Market across from the Sheraton is not all that exciting. It's nothing like Lonsdale Quay or Granville Island.
Eau Claire market is definitely not the place to go to at night. It is more of a relaxing place to hang out at the park in the afternoon. What day are you going?
Old 12-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #7

I see.. the last time I have been to Calgary was 3-4 years ago...
I will plan a day trip out to Edmonton but probably wont be staying there...

Where are some good places to eat/recommend?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
I've been there 3 times this yr and I visit there every year for the last 6 years and it's not for work. My X was from Calgary, lives in downtown core, relatives own two restaurants and pubs in downtown and all my buddies are there.

No one walks on the street in downtown as everyone is on the +15s cause it's so mofo cold. Just like how people don't normally walk in downtown Toronto as they use the underground.

You guys are right 17th ave is "hip" (as they named it the RED strip) but it's like our poor man's version of commercial drive. Yes, you do have the "awesome" Analog Coffee house, Tubby Dog (western version of Japadog) etc.
You know how you can walk down Robson on Sat and Sunday here with people everywhere, well it's pretty much a dead city in downtown in Calgary.

I don't know you but I host 10+ out of town guests from Calgary each year and they are blown away with our Yaletown, Gastown, Downtown, Davie street and Denman. I have yet to see someone from Vancouver saying they MISS and LOVE the vibrant 17 ave.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #9

Quote:
I've been there 3 times this yr and I visit there every year for the last 6 years and it's not for work. My X was from Calgary, lives in downtown core, relatives own two restaurants and pubs in downtown and all my buddies are there.

No one walks on the street in downtown as everyone is on the +15s cause it's so mofo cold. Just like how people don't normally walk in downtown Toronto as they use the underground.

You guys are right 17th ave is "hip" (as they named it the RED strip) but it's like our poor man's version of commercial drive. Yes, you do have the "awesome" Analog Coffee house, Tubby Dog (western version of Japadog) etc.
You know how you can walk down Robson on Sat and Sunday here with people everywhere, well it's pretty much a dead city in downtown in Calgary.

I don't know you but I host 10+ out of town guests from Calgary each year and they are blown away with our Yaletown, Gastown, Downtown, Davie street and Denman. I have yet to see someone from Vancouver saying they MISS and LOVE the vibrant 17 ave.
Cooooool story, man. By the sounds of it you seem to be in Calgary a lot, you should probably just move here if you like it so much.

Oh and sweet facts about 17th ave but btw, its called red MILE, not red STRIP. But why am I telling you, you pretty much know everything about Calgary
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
RS Veteran

He must be a WASP and staunch conservative too.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 12-08-2013, 12:52 AM   #11
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
I stayed at the Westin & Marriot before.

There's nothing much to do in downtown Calgary and you probably wont be staying indoors for long.
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:

Don't listen to this guy. He has no idea what is he talking about. Commercial Drive is NOTHING like 17th, and, frankly, 17th ave is just as lively and vibrant as anything Vancouver has to offer. Not saying one is better than the other, but there's definitely plenty there. Also, aside from tourists and out-of-towners, nobody calls it the Red MILE, it's just 17th Ave.

Tubby Dog and Japadog have nothing in common, aside from the fact that they both serve hot dogs.

The only thing he's right about is that most of the downtown core is pretty bland, especially on weekends. Exception: shopping areas have some life, like Stephen Ave and TD Square.

However, you can leave downtown and hit a lot of places that are close by (aside from 17th). There's Chinook Centre, which is a massive shopping mall, there's Kensington, Inglewood (which IMO is the closer approximation to Commercial), etc. etc.
Majestic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #13

There's nothing much to do in Calgary unless your partying it up at flames central.

During the summer downtown was pretty much dead... since most Calgarians go to the mountains such as Banff and chill at lake louise enjoying nature.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #14

lol.. sounds like I should cancel my calgary trip... was thinking hitting edmonton for a day trip and check out the West Edmonton Mall...
Old 12-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
There's nothing much to do in Calgary unless your partying it up at flames central.

Flames Central?! Cant say I have been there in probably 3 years nor has anyone I know. Not sure where you are getting your info from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
During the summer downtown was pretty much dead... since most Calgarians go to Kelowna and chill at B.C enjoying nature.
Fixed. Dude you have no idea what you are talking about
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #16
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
lol.. sounds like I should cancel my calgary trip... was thinking hitting edmonton for a day trip and check out the West Edmonton Mall...
Both a calgary trip and W.E.M are the worst ideas in life. I grew up in edmonton. You might as well just head to saskatoon for a vacation. Banff is an awesome visit from Calgary, and Jasper is an awesome visit from edmonton, but other than catching a hockey game, getting tattooed, or getting blackout drunk with my friends from high school, both cities are pretty lacking considering where we live and whats around us here. If you do end up in Calgary, check out hotel arts if its still around. Very nice hotel, easy walks places and can usually find a good deal.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevewone View Post
:
Fixed. Dude you have no idea what you are talking about
All i know is they go to the rockys because that's what 8/10 locals says, unless i asked the wrong people
Old 12-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #18
RS Veteran

Hotel Arts gets my +1 and yes, it's still around.