REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   $550 million Mega Millions Lottery jackpot: Canadians are eligible to buy a ticket. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/691252-%24550-million-mega-millions-lottery-jackpot-canadians-eligible-buy-ticket.html)

pastarocket 12-16-2013 07:06 PM

$550 million Mega Millions Lottery jackpot: Canadians are eligible to buy a ticket.

Are you feeling lucky? Canadians are eligible to buy tickets in the U.S. to win the $550 million plus jackpot of the Mega Millions lottery.

-approximate 30% federal withholding tax plus applicable state taxes for a
non U.S. winner.

It's time to go to Bellingham for some shopping and lottery tickets. :)

Canadians can play in $550M U.S. Mega Millions lottery | CTV News

As of Monday, that means a $550-million jackpot paid out in a 30-year escalating annuity, with one initial payment, followed by 29 annual payments, or $295 million in one lump sum, according to the lottery's website.

StylinRed 12-16-2013 07:08 PM

on CNN's ticker: you have better chances of getting hit by an asteroid than winning megamillions (much better)

pastarocket 12-16-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8383424)
on CNN's ticker: you have better chances of getting hit by an asteroid than winning megamillions (much better)

Those terrible odds didn't stop my father's former supervisor, a Mr. Bird, from buying a lottery ticket. This Mr. Bird won half of a Lotto Max jackpot, $25 million!

What was shocking to many of that lottery winner's colleagues is that this Mr. Bird still worked at his federal government job for two more years so that he could maximize his pension before retirement.

Talk about unbelievable greed. $25 million wasn't enough for him and his family. He wanted to max out on the government pension. :fulloffuck:

static 12-16-2013 07:18 PM

I don't know if I would ever call working greedy.

RRxtar 12-16-2013 07:23 PM

how is being smart = greedy? 2 years is not a long time.

especially when like 90% of lotto winners blow all their money lol. at least he would have a retirement locked up PLUS the pension may be transferable to his wife after his death including health care.

z3german 12-16-2013 07:30 PM

2 years aint bad at all, if i had 25 mil in the bank id work that 2 years and take it super laid back chill, dont need to try to work my way up no more :woot2:

StylinRed 12-16-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastarocket (Post 8383427)

Those terrible odds didn't stop my father's former supervisor, a Mr. Bird, from buying a lottery ticket. This Mr. Bird won half of a Lotto Max jackpot, $25 million!

lotto max' odds are waaaay better than megamillions

lotto max 1 in 28.6 million

megamillions 1 in just under 260 million

pastarocket 12-16-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 8383432)
how is being smart = greedy? 2 years is not a long time.

especially when like 90% of lotto winners blow all their money lol. at least he would have a retirement locked up PLUS the pension may be transferable to his wife after his death including health care.

Is it smart when this Mr. Bird didn't like his job with the government? It's like not like he needed the paycheque anymore.

He told my father that he only wanted to work those two years to get a higher pension. He said that he didn't like the work he was doing or the other supervisors that he worked with.

Being miserable at work for a few years more in order to collect a bigger pension? What a waste of his time.

Back to the topic. Who's gonna buy a Mega Millions lottery ticket to try to make it rain?

http://www.refinedguy.com/wp-content...ke-it-rain.gif

BBMme 12-16-2013 08:13 PM

If I didn't have work, I would drive down to pick up a ticket
Posted via RS Mobile

MG1 12-16-2013 08:32 PM

I got one early this morning. I've been buying Powerball tickets for nearly a year now and not a single fricken win......... Today, because of the crazy amount, I decided to get the mega millions.

If I win, I will buy everybody in this thread a Bons Off Broadway breakfast, LOL.

jtrinh 12-16-2013 08:51 PM

^in for breakfast on MG1

tiger_handheld 12-16-2013 09:26 PM

in for bons

MG1 12-16-2013 09:57 PM

WTF was I thinking? If I won the jackpot, I would buy Bons Off Broadway and turn it into a Revscene Club House.

Now that, my friends, would be awesome.

550 million+ is a helluva lot of happiness............... btw, you ever notice only poor people say, "Money can't buy you happiness?"

Speed2K 12-16-2013 10:14 PM

^In to hang out with MG1 at the new RS clubhouse! :fullofwin:

yray 12-16-2013 10:14 PM

^ICEBOY can be in charge of HR :troll:

captain happy bubble :fullofwin:

rsx 12-16-2013 10:14 PM

Like the Great one said, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Ulic Qel-Droma 12-16-2013 11:08 PM

you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

but there are better shots than others. you only have so many shots. lol.

Gerbs 12-16-2013 11:13 PM

woo ayce bons
Posted via RS Mobile

TOPEC 12-16-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8383597)
WTF was I thinking? If I won the jackpot, I would buy Bons Off Broadway and turn it into a Revscene Club House.

Now that, my friends, would be awesome.

550 million+ is a helluva lot of happiness............... btw, you ever notice only poor people say, "Money can't buy you happiness?"

captain happy bubble ver 2.0

Ch28 12-16-2013 11:59 PM

What's the closest location for us?

elwell 12-17-2013 01:13 AM

+1 for all you can eat bons, good luck mg1

Hehe 12-17-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8383523)
I got one early this morning. I've been buying Powerball tickets for nearly a year now and not a single fricken win......... Today, because of the crazy amount, I decided to get the mega millions.

If I win, I will buy everybody in this thread a Bons Off Broadway breakfast, LOL.

With 550M, you should just buy the place out and offer free BF for any RS member prior that date for life. :p

Edit: lol on me... didn't read a few post down.

If I win, I will just host a pussyfest for all the sausages in here. :fuckthatshit:

GLOW 12-17-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yray (Post 8383609)
^ICEBOY can be in charge of HR :troll:

captain happy bubble :fullofwin:

if ice is HR...sah-prisee!!!

:troll:

zilley 12-17-2013 07:19 AM

MG1, can you turn it to cafe Lu type of thing? :badpokerface:

murd0c 12-17-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastarocket (Post 8383427)

What was shocking to many of that lottery winner's colleagues is that this Mr. Bird still worked at his federal government job for two more years so that he could maximize his pension before retirement.

Talk about unbelievable greed. $25 million wasn't enough for him and his family. He wanted to max out on the government pension. :fulloffuck:

Helping out his entire family and maxing out his pension is greedy? It's smart and show's winning the lottery isn't going to change what he worked his entire life to get which he is entitled to....

I went to school with his daughter and both her parents are really great people and are being smart with the lottery winnings...