REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vacations and World Travel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vacations-world-travel_246/)
-   -   Airplane Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/691382-airplane-thread.html)

Harvey Specter 03-14-2014 05:47 PM

Just booked F on Emirates from LAX to OMDB for September, can't wait to experience the F cabin on the A380.

lowside67 03-14-2014 05:54 PM

Are those the suites? That is awesome!

Curious what you do that you are always posting with the 4 digit airport codes, most everybody I have spoken to tends to gravitate towards the 3 digit IATA codes.

Mark

Harvey Specter 03-14-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8436069)
Are those the suites? That is awesome!

Curious what you do that you are always posting with the 4 digit airport codes, most everybody I have spoken to tends to gravitate towards the 3 digit IATA codes.

Mark

Yup, all suites. It should be quite the experience.

Lol, I use ICAO codes because of flight simming.

urban.boi 03-14-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8435875)

Congrats on CX F!!! Someday we need to have a beer, I dont know the first thing about accumulating non Staralliance points. What kind of plane do you fly for YVR-HKG-SIN?

YVR - HKG CX is 777
HKG - SIN on CX can be various whatever they reposition, so that sector changes even last minute.

Harvey Specter 03-14-2014 07:16 PM

Also keep in mind that the CX 777/A330 used within Asia will have the regional business class which isn't as nice as the international business product.

roastpuff 03-14-2014 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8435875)
Yeah I gave up the TPAC leg as I wanted more F legs so going back via the Atlantic gives me more time in the air. I'm also flying YYZ-IST with a friend so I am stuck in J for that one though I could probably find a YVR-MUC-IST in F leg if I wasn't staying on the same flight as him. I've still been wrestling with the idea of changing my return to ICN-LAX (New OZ A380 First Suites). If I do though, I give up NH's F AND LH F plus the FCT in FRA so probably not worth it.

Congrats on CX F!!! Someday we need to have a beer, I dont know the first thing about accumulating non Staralliance points. What kind of plane do you fly for YVR-HKG-SIN?

As to the legend and the faded cities for the stopovers... I could tell you... but I'd have to kill you.

Yeah, I don't think I would give up the FCT just for OZ suites. NH product is a suite as well, isn't it? As mentioned below, YVR-HKG is 77W, and HKG-SIN is currently schedule to be a 744 but it can change at any moment because CX likes to sub in whatever it can in that sector.

The easiest way to accumulate OW points is BA Avios, and flying Alaska/AA in the USA. American Express MR is great too, I'm waiting for their transfer bonus to Avios for this year - can get up to 50% bonus!!

Thanks for the tips on the legend, I just used paint lol.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Disick (Post 8436064)
Just booked F on Emirates from LAX to OMDB for September, can't wait to experience the F cabin on the A380.

Wow, awesome! Come back and tell us what bling air is like! :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by urban.boi (Post 8436100)
YVR - HKG CX is 777
HKG - SIN on CX can be various whatever they reposition, so that sector changes even last minute.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Disick (Post 8436113)
Also keep in mind that the CX 777/A330 used within Asia will have the regional business class which isn't as nice as the international business product.

Yes, so I will continue monitoring the situation closely in case anything changes, and proactively change flights to the best of my ability. :accepted:

lowside67 03-14-2014 11:20 PM

Is there a trip report on a Cathay 77w F seat that you know of? What's the big deal about seat 2a?
Posted via RS Mobile

roastpuff 03-15-2014 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8436292)
Is there a trip report on a Cathay 77w F seat that you know of? What's the big deal about seat 2a?
Posted via RS Mobile

Tons of trip reports on FT, and other places. It's a well-known and respected product. CX and SQ are basically my two favorites all-time for airlines. Consistent great service, pretty good hard product usually and lovely stewardesses.

Review: Cathay Pacific First Class ORD-HKG
Flight Review: Cathay Pacific First Class | The Points Guy
FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Years Trip to the Other Vegas, "Xin" City (CX F, Conrad HK/Macao, Grand Hyatt HK)

Seats 1A/2A on the 77W is considered to be "better" (all seats in that cabin are pretty much perfect, anyways lol) because the D/K side share a common aisle. A-side aisle is more private, and easier to talk to a companion if you are going on the same flight. It has its own aisle, basically...

The most desired seat on the 744 is the 1A/K combo in the nose, as it is a very private seat for couples and you get there before the pilots do!

Hard products are the same between the two planes. One is slightly refreshed with a newer screen and different colors.

777 and 747 seat maps in F
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/...ps57190141.pnghttp://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/...ps4b713776.png

EDIT: added a quote from the CX forum FAQ
Quote:

"77A/77D
1A, 1K, 2A and 2K are essentially the same seat. Similarly 1D and 2D are similar to each other.

Row 1 is obviously closer to the galley so may be slightly noisier during meal times. Note that although labelled “D” seats, the egress for suites 1D and 2D are actually on the right-hand aisle (i.e. the same aisle as 1K and 2K). This means that theoretically 1A and 2A should have less foot traffic. However, anecdotal evidence suggests that this is compensated for by cabin crew using the left-hand aisle when they need to access the forward galley."

Eff-1 03-15-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8436292)
Posted via RS Mobile

Never filed a trip report, but I can say for sure it was a fantastic place to spend 11 hours. If anything, I might have preferred another seat because 1K on the 77W is closest to the kitchen. But that's me being extremely nit-picky if I had to be.

I wouldn't worry too much about which seat is better than the others. Everything roastpuff said is true, but bottom line is once you're on board, they are all pretty damn good.

v_tec 03-15-2014 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff (Post 8436325)
The most desired seat on the 744 is the 1A/K combo in the nose, as it is a very private seat for couples and you get there before the pilots do!

Nitpicking here, like you mention - almost any seat in the cabin is as perfect as it get already. But for those that "been there & done that" on the 1A/K, actually prefers 2A/K instead. Reason is the first row is actually slightlyyyyy more narrow. While you you get max space in 2A/K and still be able to see the "straight" line out of the window.

roastpuff 03-15-2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eff-1 (Post 8436570)
Never filed a trip report, but I can say for sure it was a fantastic place to spend 11 hours. If anything, I might have preferred another seat because 1K on the 77W is closest to the kitchen. But that's me being extremely nit-picky if I had to be.

I wouldn't worry too much about which seat is better than the others. Everything roastpuff said is true, but bottom line is once you're on board, they are all pretty damn good.

Yeah, I mean once you're in F it's hard to complain about not having a good seat... I may never want to fly Y ever again lol.
Quote:

Originally Posted by v_tec (Post 8436639)
Nitpicking here, like you mention - almost any seat in the cabin is as perfect as it get already. But for those that "been there & done that" on the 1A/K, actually prefers 2A/K instead. Reason is the first row is actually slightlyyyyy more narrow. While you you get max space in 2A/K and still be able to see the "straight" line out of the window.

Never been in the nose of a 744 before, so I want to try 1A/K while they're still flying around. It's sad to see the the 747 get retired - I think it's one of the most graceful looking planes to fly.

urban.boi 03-15-2014 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff (Post 8436262)

The easiest way to accumulate OW points is BA Avios, and flying Alaska/AA in the USA. American Express MR is great too, I'm waiting for their transfer bonus to Avios for this year - can get up to 50% bonus!!

But redeeming with BA Avios for long haul isn't worth it for the surcharge in taxes they charge, the basic game plan guide line is AA for Long Haul, BA for short Haul and CX AM for upgrades.

roastpuff 03-15-2014 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urban.boi (Post 8436899)
But redeeming with BA Avios for long haul isn't worth it for the surcharge in taxes they charge, the basic game plan guide line is AA for Long Haul, BA for short Haul and CX AM for upgrades.

You can avoid fuel surcharges on Avios (or at least reduce it) by picking the right partners. JAL and CX are good for TPAC; IB, EI, AB for TATL. There are certain tricks for EI and AB that make them an absolute steal for TATL flights. For short haul Avios is definitely good for use on AA in the USA and CX/JL/MH in Asia.

The other way (the way I will probably use it) is to upgrade a WTP+ (BA PE) fare to CW (BA J). I'm not sure if I want to shell out for BA F, considering the mixed reviews that they've gotten. And the BA website is absolutely horrible for finding award availability with certain partners.

AA is not a transfer partner for Amex MR, and the CX AM transfer rate is less than desirable unfortunately. If only we had the Citibank AA credit cards in Canada...

Eff-1 03-16-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urban.boi (Post 8436899)

Using Avios, one way YVR - NRT on JL J, I paid $3xx.xx for YQ. Not too bad... especially when considering those Avios were gained by transferring Avion during a 50% promo.

CP.AR 03-20-2014 10:39 PM

CX 747 First Class is great, nice and quiet, tucked away from everything.
seats are comfortable, comparable to the new Firsts on the 777
Massaging chairs on first and business class are excellent

you have to ask someone else about the service though

LONG LIVE THE 747

Hehe 03-20-2014 11:13 PM

Any1 flew Aeromexico's J in 737 and 767?

Flying home to visit parents, and the fares seems really reasonable at 2k/tix vs. 1.2k in Y.

Eff-1 03-21-2014 02:11 PM

There should be a few trip reports online if you search google. Here's one:

Trip Report: Flying Aeromexico?s Boeing 767-200ER in Business Class | Airchive

roastpuff 03-21-2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuro Ray (Post 8441155)
CX 747 First Class is great, nice and quiet, tucked away from everything.
seats are comfortable, comparable to the new Firsts on the 777
Massaging chairs on first and business class are excellent

you have to ask someone else about the service though

LONG LIVE THE 747

Plus you get the nose! :woot2:

CP.AR 03-22-2014 09:25 AM

I get the 2nd best seat in the house ;)

lowside67 03-22-2014 04:06 PM

Well I can't believe it, but I have paid ANOTHER change fee... as I mentioned before, this is probably my only shot for some time to try out as many first class cabins as I can as it's unlikely I will be able to accumulate this many points again. StarAlliance has 6 total - Lufthansa, Asiana, All Nippon, Thai, Air China, and United - ranked in about the order that I posted (for their flagship newest product), though that is certainly open for some debate. I can do without AC and United but I really wanted to try out Asiana's new product, the fantastic suites, but unfortunately they have only been flying ICN-JFK and that is a route that simply doesn't help me at all. However, they have just announced that they are going to be flying ICN-LAX as of August 15th with their new A380s with the suites! I've been wracking my brains how to accomplish this within the confines of the MPM allowance - I needed a stop in Europe to connect with my Africa ticket, and definitely wanted a stop in SE Asia.

I must have tried a dozen routings, and finally found one that just squeaks in at 15,080/14,914 allowed on the outbound and 9,942/10,033 on the return.

New routing:

YVR-FRA (LH J, swap for LH F when they release the seats)... 747-400 with the dedicated beds
-stop-
FRA-CDG (LH J)
-stop-
CDG-NRT (NH F) 77W First Square
-overnight-
HND-BKK (TG F) 747-400 Updated F
BKK-SIN (TG J)
-stop-
SIN-ICN (OZ J)
ICN-LAX (OZ F) A380!
LAX-YVR (AC Y, standby for J)

The taxes/fees are hideous but I finally am hitting all 4 first class cabins I wanted to (would have preferred the TG A380 over the 747 refurbished but close enough) with my least preferred cabin on the shortest haul, so I'm a pretty happy camper. T-90 days until I leave now! Although to be honest at 260,000 points between the two tickets and about $1700 in taxes and fees, I am starting to wonder if it's really worth it. On a value basis compared to taking the flights for cash it certainly is, but still...

Mark

roastpuff 03-22-2014 08:34 PM

I think we're all a little crazy in this hobby... But I say go for it anyways! It's an awesome routing, you're going backpacking around the world and living the dream.

Besides, it's still about the same cost as a single BA F award ticket to LHR and back lol.

Hehe 03-22-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8442005)
YVR-FRA (LH J, swap for LH F when they release the seats)... 747-400 with the dedicated beds
-stop-
FRA-CDG (LH J)
-stop-
CDG-NRT (NH F) 77W First Square
-overnight-
HND-BKK (TG F) 747-400 Updated F
BKK-SIN (TG J)
-stop-
SIN-ICN (OZ J)
ICN-LAX (OZ F) A380!
LAX-YVR (AC Y, standby for J)

The taxes/fees are hideous but I finally am hitting all 4 first class cabins I wanted to (would have preferred the TG A380 over the 747 refurbished but close enough) with my least preferred cabin on the shortest haul, so I'm a pretty happy camper. T-90 days until I leave now! Although to be honest at 260,000 points between the two tickets and about $1700 in taxes and fees, I am starting to wonder if it's really worth it. On a value basis compared to taking the flights for cash it certainly is, but still...

Mark

Lol... good job at making the trip work. Very impressive work. I gotta start planning my trip better. I was only able to secure UA and OZ F for my trip to Asia later this year. :pokerface:

Oh well... on the other hand, my next business trip (on April 1st, can't say I'm not worried) involves flying with a very high profile client... in his Gulfstream 550!! Not sure if I'd be able to snap pictures on board, but will sure report back! :)

JesseBlue 03-24-2014 01:45 AM

Darn it as i had a 767 flying to narita...

And in regular news, i was in jal economy (hehe)..Oh well...at least the girl i was sitting beside was very pretty and had a nice conversation with the whole flight...that made the flight really short....

As for MAS, let's say that it wasn't the greatest service but there were certainly pretty faces in the crew...
Posted via RS Mobile

roastpuff 03-24-2014 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseBlue (Post 8442703)
Darn it as i had a 767 flying to narita...

And in regular news, i was in jal economy (hehe)..Oh well...at least the girl i was sitting beside was very pretty and had a nice conversation with the whole flight...that made the flight really short....

As for MAS, let's say that it wasn't the greatest service but there were certainly pretty faces in the crew...
Posted via RS Mobile

The new JAL Economy SKY Wider seats aren't bad actually - 34" pitch in Y which is great for Y! And their service/food/IFE is usually pretty good too.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inflight/in...at/index1.html

Too bad that their 787's don't have it, really silly that the 767 has a newer product vs. the 787. 32" pitch on the 787, blech. I kind of dislike the fact that the 767 is being replaced by the 787 to YVR.

JesseBlue 03-24-2014 05:36 PM

My ife stopped working halfway through the flight... Without my seatmate, i woulda been so bored...the chair unfortunately didn't help as it hurt my back...

On MAS, the japanese flight attendant was stick thin but was very cute...
Posted via RS Mobile