REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Audio, Video, & Security Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/audio-video-security-tech_10/)
-   -   compustar wiring harness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/691464-compustar-wiring-harness.html)

girlcrazy_420 12-25-2013 07:58 PM

compustar wiring harness

I have a compustar alarm in my truck. It is probably 5 years old at the most. I want to replace the brain. Can I just go buy a new system and just instal the brain and remote? Will it plug and play? I am trying to save myself the $180 install fee...

Recon604 12-25-2013 08:32 PM

u still need to go to an authorized compustar to unlock the features from the brain, only they have the software to access that

girlcrazy_420 12-26-2013 04:28 PM

Software? Are we talking about the same thing? Lol. I'm talking about a 2way fm Compustar with the lcd remote... How do you program it? Does it have wifi?

orgasm_donor 12-26-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlcrazy_420 (Post 8388959)
Software? Are we talking about the same thing? Lol. I'm talking about a 2way fm Compustar with the lcd remote... How do you program it? Does it have wifi?

No Wifi. LOL.

You will need to find out what brain it is. It is most likely a 3000 or 4000 brain (if its an alarm/starter) which we can still get harnesses for. If it is anewer car that has data controlled locks then you will need a module to control them. If you want to hook up the starter then you may need an immobilizer bypass module for that as well. Sometimes you can get a bypass module/data module all in one depending on the car as well.

So we'll need to know the brain that you have, the year, make and model of the car and what features you will want to install. If you need one or more modules, you will need them 'flashed' by an authorized Compustar dealer. You can do manual programming with Compustar but it is very complex without a proper programmer.

Cman333 12-26-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlcrazy_420 (Post 8388624)
I have a compustar alarm in my truck. It is probably 5 years old at the most. I want to replace the brain. Can I just go buy a new system and just instal the brain and remote? Will it plug and play? I am trying to save myself the $180 install fee...

It's plug and play if you get the exact same unit and assuming the previous installation has no issues.

But if you get a different model brain it will need to be reinstalled. Keep in mind only certain model remote/antenna will work with certain model brains.

If you swap the brain you will likely need some of the features reprogrammed or you can manually do it but it's bit of a pain in the ass.

girlcrazy_420 12-28-2013 11:17 PM

Oh okay, I didnt know these things needed programing. I figured they came programmed right out of the box. Just plug in the door pin wiring, a relay to turn the ignition on and another for the start. Brake pedal, rpm sensor, power wires and shock sensor. I have a 1994 GMC 3500. I shouldnt be needing any ignition module for this old beast. If I arm the truck, it kills my battery over a few days. If I dissable the alarm and just use the remote to lock my doors my truck is fine. I figure the brain is toast since I dont see why else it would kill the battery only when it is armed. I have been trying to figure out what brain box I have, but its stuck up under the colum pretty good with the wrong side facing me.

Cman333 12-30-2013 10:22 PM

They somewhat work out of the box. Just remember this one brain supports diesel/fuel injected, auto/standard, double pulse unlock, etc etc.

It would work out the box almost for almost everything pre 2000 (Obviously will still be exceptions). If your truck is a Diesel it'll definitely need programming for the glow plug delay and extended run time.

before buying a new brain I would just recommend doing a battery load test to see how much amperage your alarm is drawing. Easiest way is get a volt meter and measure your voltage with alarm disconnected, then again with alarm connected and armed.

If you have an older battery with low CCA and your truck sits outside in the cold, it might be your battery and not the alarm brain.

If you're looking for the part number is should be on a white label saying CM3000, CM4000, CM5000, CM600, etc.

I'll guess it's a CM5000. Keep us posted :)

MG1 01-03-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlcrazy_420 (Post 8388959)
Does it have wifi?

http://www.revscene.net/forums/custo...pic54868_2.gif

sorry.......... could not resist.