REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Audio, Video, & Security Tech

Audio, Video, & Security Tech This forum is brought to you by Sounds Good Auto in Coquitlam and Burnaby.

Enter SPL Competitions, display your Setups, DIY Projects

Old 12-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

compustar wiring harness

I have a compustar alarm in my truck. It is probably 5 years old at the most. I want to replace the brain. Can I just go buy a new system and just instal the brain and remote? Will it plug and play? I am trying to save myself the $180 install fee...
Advertisement
LADIES!!! Tired of being alone? Going through too many batteries at bedtime? Would you like a "hand"?? Well, you're in luck!!! S.T.U.D.S IS HERE FOR YOU!!! We offer all types of services, from a basic lube, to the full service! S.T.U.D.S.
girlcrazy_420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

u still need to go to an authorized compustar to unlock the features from the brain, only they have the software to access that
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #3

Software? Are we talking about the same thing? Lol. I'm talking about a 2way fm Compustar with the lcd remote... How do you program it? Does it have wifi?
LADIES!!! Tired of being alone? Going through too many batteries at bedtime? Would you like a "hand"?? Well, you're in luck!!! S.T.U.D.S IS HERE FOR YOU!!! We offer all types of services, from a basic lube, to the full service! S.T.U.D.S.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlcrazy_420 View Post
Software? Are we talking about the same thing? Lol. I'm talking about a 2way fm Compustar with the lcd remote... How do you program it? Does it have wifi?
No Wifi. LOL.

You will need to find out what brain it is. It is most likely a 3000 or 4000 brain (if its an alarm/starter) which we can still get harnesses for. If it is anewer car that has data controlled locks then you will need a module to control them. If you want to hook up the starter then you may need an immobilizer bypass module for that as well. Sometimes you can get a bypass module/data module all in one depending on the car as well.

So we'll need to know the brain that you have, the year, make and model of the car and what features you will want to install. If you need one or more modules, you will need them 'flashed' by an authorized Compustar dealer. You can do manual programming with Compustar but it is very complex without a proper programmer.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:
I have a compustar alarm in my truck. It is probably 5 years old at the most. I want to replace the brain. Can I just go buy a new system and just instal the brain and remote? Will it plug and play? I am trying to save myself the $180 install fee...
It's plug and play if you get the exact same unit and assuming the previous installation has no issues.

But if you get a different model brain it will need to be reinstalled. Keep in mind only certain model remote/antenna will work with certain model brains.

If you swap the brain you will likely need some of the features reprogrammed or you can manually do it but it's bit of a pain in the ass.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #6

Oh okay, I didnt know these things needed programing. I figured they came programmed right out of the box. Just plug in the door pin wiring, a relay to turn the ignition on and another for the start. Brake pedal, rpm sensor, power wires and shock sensor. I have a 1994 GMC 3500. I shouldnt be needing any ignition module for this old beast. If I arm the truck, it kills my battery over a few days. If I dissable the alarm and just use the remote to lock my doors my truck is fine. I figure the brain is toast since I dont see why else it would kill the battery only when it is armed. I have been trying to figure out what brain box I have, but its stuck up under the colum pretty good with the wrong side facing me.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
RS Licensed Vendor

They somewhat work out of the box. Just remember this one brain supports diesel/fuel injected, auto/standard, double pulse unlock, etc etc.

It would work out the box almost for almost everything pre 2000 (Obviously will still be exceptions). If your truck is a Diesel it'll definitely need programming for the glow plug delay and extended run time.

before buying a new brain I would just recommend doing a battery load test to see how much amperage your alarm is drawing. Easiest way is get a volt meter and measure your voltage with alarm disconnected, then again with alarm connected and armed.

If you have an older battery with low CCA and your truck sits outside in the cold, it might be your battery and not the alarm brain.

If you're looking for the part number is should be on a white label saying CM3000, CM4000, CM5000, CM600, etc.

I'll guess it's a CM5000. Keep us posted
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #8
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Does it have wifi?

sorry.......... could not resist.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 01-03-2014 at 01:32 PM.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote