REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 12-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Question re: sick day.

So long story short about a week ago i woke up feeling like shit, aches and pains, puking, stomach ache, general mild flu... Anyway, i called in to work, and was asked for a Doctors note, found this a bit odd as i haven't called in sick ever... Been working at this job for just under two years.
Anyway, i called my family doctor and she had no appointment until tomorrow (the 27th), and told me to come see her then, or if i felt i was dangerously ill (i wasn't) go to the ER. ANYWAYS, i now don't have a doctors note... I will tell my boss what happened but who knows if he'll believe me. Any experience with this? I've never gotten into "trouble", never late, generally a damn good employee... Would suck getting written up for genuinely being sick.
Advertisement

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
My previous job, I always had to get docs notes for sick days. So very inconvenient.

If your fam doctor not in, just try to go to the walk-in clinic. However your fam doctor can write on the note that you called in on said day and said you were sick then and visited you on current day and you were sick. That should work as well.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
My previous job, I always had to get docs notes for sick days. So very inconvenient.

If your fam doctor not in, just try to go to the walk-in clinic. However your fam doctor can write on the note that you called in on said day and said you were sick then and visited you on current day and you were sick. That should work as well.
I know, it's so stupid... I could understand if i called in sick every month, but once in almost 2 years? Comon...
Anyway, i don't see much point in going to see her tomorrow as i'm not really sick anymore, it's been a week. Not sure if i should still go and see what she says... As for the walk in clinic, i never thought of that. Damn.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 12-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #4

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Don't worry about it too much.

If its your first time calling in sick in 2 years, don't stress it. Just explain what happened to your supervisor and try to give them the doctors note asap.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

also depends if you are hourly or salary... I was hourly, basically i didn't necessarily NEED the note for the day off, however to get paid out a sick day, I needed the note.

Don't know how it would work on salary basis. But just explain the situation to your boss. Let's hope he's human, unlike my old company.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Seems stupid for OP to go to the doctor to get a note just for the employers sake. OP is fine now and it is a waste of doctors time/OP time to go to doctor just to write him up a note... As mentioned, since OP is a good employee, the employer should be understanding, unless they are being completely unreasonable.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Seems stupid for OP to go to the doctor to get a note just for the employers sake. OP is fine now and it is a waste of doctors time/OP time to go to doctor just to write him up a note... As mentioned, since OP is a good employee, the employer should be understanding, unless they are being completely unreasonable.
Exactly what i'm hoping, i really don't want to waste my time, my doctor's time, and taxpayer money to go see her tomorrow when i now feel fine... If they want to make a big deal out of it so be it.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 12-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
I really hope so too. But my previous job was relentless. They didn't care, doctors note or no sick day pay. Doesn't matter if you're dying and can't make it to the doctors. lol.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Try looking at it from the employer's sake. At one point in time, there was a bad egg in the bunch that spoiled it for everyone.
My wife's place is union and people get unlimited sick pay. 75% pay if they were sick and 100% pay if their kids were sick. Some employee's are so bad that you could set your calender to whether or not they showed up to work.

While it isn't hard to go to any doctor's office to get a doctor's note, it is the company's way to say I know you are fcuking with us and here we are screwing you back.
And of course, some walk in clinics will actually charge you for a doctors note now, so the whole "waste of the doctor's time" is thrown out the window. But of course, it is an inconvenience to OP since he truely was sick.

As for OP, don't take it personally if they've never done anything against you in the past. Policy is policy and it wouldn't be fair if they asked the bad eggs for a doctor's note and not you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Try looking at it from the employer's sake. At one point in time, there was a bad egg in the bunch that spoiled it for everyone.
My wife's place is union and people get unlimited sick pay. 75% pay if they were sick and 100% pay if their kids were sick. Some employee's are so bad that you could set your calender to whether or not they showed up to work.

While it isn't hard to go to any doctor's office to get a doctor's note, it is the company's way to say I know you are fcuking with us and here we are screwing you back.
And of course, some walk in clinics will actually charge you for a doctors note now, so the whole "waste of the doctor's time" is thrown out the window. But of course, it is an inconvenience to OP since he truely was sick.

As for OP, don't take it personally if they've never done anything against you in the past. Policy is policy and it wouldn't be fair if they asked the bad eggs for a doctor's note and not you.
I get where you are coming from, and I am on the fence. I mean, there is a difference between someone who is calling in sick once a month or more, to someone who has called in sick only once in 2 years of employment. I think everyone can agree if they are going to ask for a doctors note, that there is only one individual in this scenario it makes sense harassing...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #11
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

There's no use arguing about it, OP made his mind, and we'll see what his supervisor said.

Like i said in my company it was black and white. whether you missed twice a month or once a year, note needed for sick day pay. A lot of companies just run on policy is policy, and do not budge, no matter how sympathetic or real the situation may seem.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
that there is only one individual in this scenario it makes sense harassing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
Like i said in my company it was black and white.
From a company's perspective, Nabs is absolutely correct in this statement.
As long as the bad employee is being asked for a doctor's note, then everyone has to do it. Can you imagine the shit storm that would be brewed up if the bad egg found out a good employee was let off the hook about getting the doctor's note.
It's the same thing about pay. Unless everyone is on a pay scale based on seniority or hours worked, imagine employees knew who made more or less per hour and guess how much of a shit storm that would cause if someone felt they deserve to be paid more than someone else just because they felt the other person did less work or their work was of lower quality.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #13

^ Oh man, there was a pay shitstorm a few months ago, turns out i got hired to do the same job as another guy who's been there for 8+ years, i make substantially more than him, and he found out somehow. That's a story for another day though. I will update this with what happens on the 30th (next day of work)

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 12-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #14
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
My work place never ask for doc notes when ppl call in sick. I have seen ppl literally call in sick every month and it always on a Friday or Monday lol.

You are right there are some bad apples once in a while.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #15
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
if you get paid sick days, screw em over by getting a doctor's note for the rest of the week! It may be because of the "timing" of when you called in sick more than anything. But some workplaces have different policies on dr notes. Most people only really need a day or 2 to recover enough from being sick... The fact is, drs will give you a note regardless of whether you are sick or not, as long as you say to them that you don't feel well.. End of the day, it is a deterrent from people calling in sick, but can backfire, especially for those who have paid time off for sick days.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #16
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
my work also doesn't ask for a doctors note..

BUUUUUT

We only get 3 paid sick days/year.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #17
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Pretty sure I'm allowed 10 sick days. Never ask for note. Only was 2 sick times this year.

My previous work, which was a large company, asked for a doctors note one time when I was absent more than 2 days. Makes sense.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #18
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
If one is consistently taking sick days, then it makes reasonable sense from employer perspective to ask for a note; however, if one takes 1 sick day in forever, it seems like a waste of time for employer/employee. OP would need to take time off work to get the note; whereas he can be working if the employer insists on the note...

In the end, every company is different. Some are more laid back in terms of policy than others.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #19
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
in unions, they are allowed to check based on ur ratios and you do get called in.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #20

The thing that pisses me off about it is there's more than one co-worker who consistently calls in sick once a month or more, never been asked for a sick note. Guess i pissed someone off...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 12-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #21

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
bring it up. see what they say about it. it should be equality in the work place.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby View Post
bring it up. see what they say about it. it should be equality in the work place.
Maybe it's just me, but the difference between a job and a career is knowing when to let things go and when to speak up.
Some wars just aren't worth fighting.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby View Post
So first day back today, boss never mentioned the note... I'll just leave it at that but i almost hope he asks me for it so i can bring up the inequality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Maybe it's just me, but the difference between a job and a career is knowing when to let things go and when to speak up.
Some wars just aren't worth fighting.
Some wars aren't worth fighting, you're right, but i don't know if i'm going to let this one slide yet...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #24

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
you let one thing slide, they are gonna walk over you in the future. sometimes you just have to speak up so they know their place.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #25

Very valid point. Hmm...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT