REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Congrats to Westopher! 1 of Vancouver Best Restaurants? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/691507-congrats-westopher-1-vancouver-best-restaurants.html)

godwin 12-27-2013 03:41 PM

Congrats to Westopher! 1 of Vancouver Best Restaurants?

Hard work pays off! More toys for your M3 this spring?

Tasty eats: Vancouver's 13 best new restaurants

From light French cuisine to simple comfort food, there’s something for every taste and budget in 2013.

December 18, 2013 4:01 PM

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/foo...?size=620x400s

Homer St. Café Bar 898 Homer St. | 604-428-4299 Info: homerstreetcafebar.com In the tumult of the nervous economy of a few years ago, we discovered our restaurant bliss point at casual, affordable places. Homer St. Café was about as fancy as it got in 2013 and it’s a bistro, albeit a pretty fancy one, anchored by a fire-engine red Rotisol Grande Flame Olympia roasting multiple spits of free range chicken. The lower level of the bistro is clean and chic in white Carrera marble; the upper level is more conservative in dark wood. The executive chef is Marc Andre Choquette of Tableau at the Loden Hotel. Homer St. Café celebrates comfort foods (like shortribs with mushroom pie in a cast iron casserole and garganelli pasta with lobster).
Photograph by: Gerry Kahrmann, PNG

tiger_handheld 12-27-2013 03:51 PM

nvm

StylinRed 12-27-2013 03:54 PM

awesome congrats! i didn't realize he had one that's very cool another place for an RS Discount? :D

Eff-1 12-27-2013 05:05 PM

Your thread title is misleading. One of Vancouver's best restaurants?? Definitely not. The article lists best NEW restaurants from this year, which is more accurate.

It's a beautiful space, no question, and service is top notch. But I wouldn't call it affordable if you order the rotisserie chicken. Maybe I am the only one that thinks $18 for a 1/4 chicken ($26 for 1/2 chicken) is overpriced, not including any sides. Save your money, pick one up from costco for $7.50 and enjoy at home. Yes the restaurant uses free range chickens and has a very fancy rotisserie oven, but personally I cannot tell the difference. The other mains, however, are nice and offer better value. Well either way, congratulations to westopher for a successful launch. The restaurant business is a tough one!

subordinate 12-27-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eff-1 (Post 8389429)
Your thread title is misleading. One of Vancouver's best restaurants?? Definitely not. The article lists best NEW restaurants from this year, which is more accurate.

It's a beautiful space, no question, and service is top notch. But I wouldn't call it affordable if you order the rotisserie chicken. Maybe I am the only one that thinks $18 for a 1/4 chicken ($26 for 1/2 chicken) is overpriced, not including any sides. Save your money, pick one up from costco for $7.50 and enjoy at home. Yes the restaurant uses free range chickens and has a very fancy rotisserie oven, but personally I cannot tell the difference. The other mains, however, are nice and offer better value. Well either way, congratulations to westopher for a successful launch. The restaurant business is a tough one!

You must rarely eat out then, as you can make most things yourself.

Eff-1 12-27-2013 05:24 PM

Much of the enjoyment I get from eating out is having foods that aren't simple enough to eat at home. For me, rotisserie chicken isn't one of those meals. Like I said, I believe the mains at Homer St Cafe offer better value.

bcrdukes 12-27-2013 05:34 PM

Eff-1 doesn't eat out.

:fuckthatshit: & :rofl: x 100

Slifer 12-27-2013 06:21 PM

Westopher is the owner of that restaurant?

Marshall Placid 12-27-2013 08:05 PM

Very nice Westopher!

Next up... should be the award for best casual dining 2014....

Best Casual 2013 | Vancouver Magazine

(But for the upcoming 2014 awards!!!)
-----------------------

I tried Homer St. Cafe twice.

Both were good.

The absolute best dish was the lobster pasta which they don't have any longer.

The lobster and pasta were cooked very well, with a perfect complementary sauce.

Actually, it was cooked by westopher himself (found out later in this thread:
http://www.revscene.net/forums/53095...ml#post8324983
)

The chicken has a lot of taste, much more than Swiss Chalet or the local Save On's chicken.

westopher 12-27-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slifer (Post 8389477)
Westopher is the owner of that restaurant?

LOL no, I'm a small piece of the puzzle. Chef de partie. That photo is of Chef Tret, the head chef. The menu has changed as of 2 weeks ago, and they are some big changes and awesome ones. All this best restaurant list stuff is all subjective, although cool to get some recognition.
Its fun being a part of the hype, but I'm just a nobody:)
I'm a shareholder in a restaurant back in edmonton though oddly enough. Its called the greenhouse. A healthy lunch spot that is aimed at getting people away from fast food shit lunches.

Jas29 12-27-2013 09:54 PM

Rs meet to see westopher in action

multicartual 12-27-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jas29 (Post 8389554)
Rs meet to see westopher in action

420 first

Vansterdam 12-28-2013 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8389575)
420 first

:nyan:
Posted via RS Mobile

murd0c 12-28-2013 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 8389641)
:nyan:
Posted via RS Mobile

I'm game

CP.AR 12-28-2013 03:21 AM

So can RS make people successful? damn I need to spend more time in this place

meme405 12-28-2013 11:11 AM

Well done man. I would be game for a meet & dine here.

We would need to get a partie together so that we can have westopher prepare our food.

Westopher whats the minimum for a private party?

cho 12-28-2013 11:18 AM

congrats, one day i'll be where you are ;)

Phil@rise 12-28-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

If costco is your comparison you need to get out more lol

RTS 12-28-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

This is literally one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen on rs. And after being on here for over 10 years, that's saying a lot.

By your logic, you probably don't eat japadog either. I mean, you can go to costco and eat a $1 hotdog which tastes almost the same. F*ck it, let's boil all food down to the lowest common denominator and just east spam all day everyday. If we buy wholesale it will be amazing value. You can even wash it down with FREE tap water!

Why anyone would look for "value" in a trendy yaletown restaurant is beyond me.

Eff-1 12-28-2013 12:52 PM

Holy smokes, you guys don't read. I said the other mains on the menu are great. And I said the rotisserie chicken is over priced for what it is.

Sue me.

Eff-1 12-28-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTS (Post 8389835)
This is literally one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen on rs. And after being on here for over 10 years, that's saying a lot.

By your logic, you probably don't eat japadog either. I mean, you can go to costco and eat a $1 hotdog which tastes almost the same. F*ck it, let's boil all food down to the lowest common denominator and just east spam all day everyday. If we buy wholesale it will be amazing value. You can even wash it down with FREE tap water!

Why anyone would look for "value" in a trendy yaletown restaurant is beyond me.

I've been here 11 years. Nobody cares.

Have you eaten at Homer St Cafe?

What a shame, you missed my point and make yourself look like an ass.

multicartual 12-28-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTS (Post 8389835)

It is super passive-aggressive, but it is a great example of how people on the internet look to pick fights and belittle other people for personal gratification

meme405 12-28-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

One of Vancouver's best restaurants?? Definitely not.

You are the one who made an ass out of yourself and it started right here.

To come into a thread congratulating someone on winning an award, and then belittle the accomplishment of the restaurant he works in was a stupid thing to do.

The rest of your post was useless as well. You cannot compare a restaurant that serves quality food with a good dining experience to Costco then call it overpriced.

While I believe even this to be an unfair comparison it is still closer than yours. Go have a look at Nandos and Homer St. Cafe. The prices are not completely off base.

EDIT: I guess my post comes down to this: why did you decide to come into this thread and make 85% of your post about the "overpriced" chicken. You could have just said congratulations and moved on. Instead you decided to nitpick at 1 out of a possible 20+ items on the menu, just because you didn't like the price. :seriously:

SoNaRWaVe 12-28-2013 02:07 PM

congrats westopher in being part of this accomplishment. regardless how big or how small of the pie you are in the bigger pie, you are still part of it. it wouldn't be where it is without everyone there.

as to all of you bickering about the interwebs and posts, take a chill pill and lets not derail this thread. arguing on the interwebs is stupid.

Harvey Specter 12-28-2013 02:14 PM

Always looking for new places to eat, I'll check this place out next month seeing how it's linked to a great RS member.