REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Spark Plugs (https://www.revscene.net/forums/691573-spark-plugs.html)

!Aznboi128 12-30-2013 03:16 PM

Spark Plugs

Hey guys

About time to change my plugs and just want to get some first hand experience on some plugs, car's a accord was just going to get some oem type ngk. However a friend of mine was saying he got a set of e3 and they work really well for him.

opinions?

blacK20 12-30-2013 08:53 PM

OE spec ngk is what you want. Don't waste your money on that hyped up E3 bojangles.

inv4zn 12-30-2013 09:14 PM

I bought the NGK ones online shipped to blaine for ~$50, for all 6.

Local prices went as high as $25, per fucking plug.

BrRsn 12-30-2013 09:30 PM

OE NGK is best IMO -- Even in my jeep I run the OE brand. I ran non-OEM plugs that were supposedly 'better' and it ran like shit.

I just did this on my accord -- the plugs were cheapest for me off rockauto.com. I ordered NGK so I wouldn't have to screw around with gapping/etc (NGK is pre-gapped to OE spec)

Word of advice, warm up the car first then pull the plugs. I did this and none of my plugs broke (I was a bit paranoid because they were originals @ 220K and 10 years old lol ... surprisingly they held up very well).

Holeshot 12-30-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 8390994)
OE NGK is best IMO -- Even in my jeep I run the OE brand. I ran non-OEM plugs that were supposedly 'better' and it ran like shit.

I just did this on my accord -- the plugs were cheapest for me off rockauto.com. I ordered NGK so I wouldn't have to screw around with gapping/etc (NGK is pre-gapped to OE spec)

Word of advice, warm up the car first then pull the plugs. I did this and none of my plugs broke (I was a bit paranoid because they were originals @ 220K and 10 years old lol ... surprisingly they held up very well).

Ummm not sure who you heard that removing spark plugs from a warm engine was a good idea. Especially if you have a car with a aluminum head. Your plugs will come out fine but you have a higher chance of destroying the threads in the head. Aluminum head remove spark plug only when the engine is COLD. Iron head cars or trucks, warm or cold is fine. If the plugs have been in there a while soak with penetrating oil for a few hours then remove.
OE plugs on the dealer is always a safe bet if you're not sure.
Posted via RS Mobile

BrRsn 12-30-2013 11:04 PM

^ did not know that lol

my mechanic friend suggested it -- made sense in terms of broscience (heat expands head, comes out easier)

fliptuner 12-30-2013 11:56 PM

The opposite is true. Cooler = contracted = "looser"

Aznboi, I'd suggest plain Jane NGK's. As long as the gap is within spec, no need for anything fancy.

PN: 6994 or ZFR6K-11

!Aznboi128 12-31-2013 08:24 AM

thanks guys!

guess it's kinda similar to "z-max" type deals

Indy 12-31-2013 10:37 AM

i would still check the gap with a feeler gauge on all "pre-gapped" plugs just in case.

Puck Luck 01-01-2014 10:54 PM

I always eyeball the gap but don't think i ever had to adjust NGK plug gaps. Along with everyone else, i agree with sticking to oem nkg's.
I've removed plugs from hot engines and cold engines. Never seemed to make any difference. Except on V6's. Don't want to burn your arms reaching over a hot engine