REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #26
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
stairs are dangerous too
Advertisement
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #27
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
CFL's are shit. Even with the new CFL's I can notice a warm-up time, and they get worse with age. I have a few left in my house which I'll be changing out to LED's soon. LED's just need to come down in price.

I don't think this whole issue with light bulbs is something the government needed to legislate. If people want to use incandescent light bulbs and are willing to pay for the energy to do so then so fucking be it.
x2

I'm starting to swap out all my exterior lights from incandescent/halogen to LED. The nice thing about them is that LED bulbs don't attract bugs during the summer, and there are millions of them up here. Of course, I also have a million outside potlights to replace, so they're only being replaced as they burn out. lol

And I agree about the pricing. If I want to pay the extra cost associated with using incandescent light bulbs, let me. It genuinely saves me on heating (one bedroom with a three bulb ceiling light can heat that entire room, and I've always left the heating vent shut). Sure, that savings is off-set by the increased electric bill but it's less wear and tear on my furnace. Let the open market decide what consumers choose to buy. If CFL's are indeed that much better, the sales will indicate it as such.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #28
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
i bought a philips LED bulb from home depot last month when they had them discount promotion going on and it is awesome. however it dosen't come on immediately with a flick of the switch for me... there is maybe under a half-second delay to fire up?

unfortunately i cannot say the same for the small projector bulbs, depending on your size/type. the light projector is too focused so it's only good for highlighting stuff but is weak for lighting up a room.

but yes they throw a very nice white light and run cool. and to vouch for what lomac posted, the plain incandescent potlight bulb we replaced the old heat lamp bulb with in the washroom is still enough to warm up the small room in a few minutes but when i tried the LED bulb out of curiosity there was no change in room temp.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:08 AM   #29
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
however it dosen't come on immediately with a flick of the switch for me... there is maybe under a half-second delay to fire up?
Probably yeah. But it's not like the 30-60 seconds it takes a CFL to achieve full brightness.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:10 AM   #30
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Probably yeah. But it's not like the 30-60 seconds it takes a CFL to achieve full brightness.
i need to pay more attention. our CFLs are installed in corridors or exterior lights so they are either usually on all day or are unattended.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #31

Some are better than others. I have some bulbs that turn on pretty quick (but never faster than a few seconds), but others that take a minute or two
Old 01-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #32
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
lol all i know is, i bought some fluorescent bulbs when they first came out, and were like 7 bux each before taxes or something ridiculous.

that was like. over a decade ago, and i'm still using the same exact bulbs. and I use these lights like 8 hours a day.

as for disposal, like batteries and other "dangerous" crap, just dispose of it properly...

the once every 10-15 years you have to dispose of one. lol.

i remember using incandescent lights, i had to replace them multiple times a year. i hated it. and they generated so much heat and sucked up so much electricity.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #33
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
so are canned fruits.
split my hand open on a can lid once. horrible feeling of it dig in to your palm

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #34
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,480 Posts
I was wondering why Canadian tire had such a shitty selection of bulbs the other day. Ended up buying CFL's and I hate them!
Old 01-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #35
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Which colour temp or colour style, or hell, even bulb brand, is the one to go for to replace the old style bulbs? The one time I ever bought a CFL it ended up being super dim and cold and it was labeled to be a warm replacement. I dont want to blow a ton of money figuring out which bulbs are the best as the old style burn out.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:21 PM   #36
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
Which colour temp or colour style, or hell, even bulb brand, is the one to go for to replace the old style bulbs? The one time I ever bought a CFL it ended up being super dim and cold and it was labeled to be a warm replacement. I dont want to blow a ton of money figuring out which bulbs are the best as the old style burn out.
IDK What you're looking for but the Sylvania Micro-Mini 60 watt 6500K 'DayLight' color bulbs they sell at superstore are what I use for studying/computer room. They're bright as hell and the light is white with a blue tinge, but they work pretty well in terms of providing a ton of light and they make me feel less groggy/sleepy than warmer lights -- I wouldn't put them in the living room though, would make it look cold/ugly

They usually say lumens on the side of the box and that's usually a little better than comparing wattage alone. Like HIDs most of them should say the color on the side -- 4300 being slightly yellow (warm) and 6000+ being cold/blueish
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post
In some controversial threads, you've sided and posted the same main stream media views... just a couple of weeks ago in the bitcoin thread you label me in your category of "nut jobs" for my revelations.

Even here
http://www.revscene.net/forums/66707...ml#post7900247

You're pretty quick to judge... yet we find that there are people like yourself who are effected by a different type of dirty electricity too... getting the same kind of headaches as I show in the TV video later in the same thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/66707...ml#post8285595
Just because I think you're a nutjob doesn't mean I am "defending the government". If someone is right about something, I will agree with them. If they are wrong, I'll disagree.

Not everything is this deep conspiracy.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #38
I subscribe to Revscene

Well it actually is with the light bulb.
Quote:
The Light Bulb Conspiracy combines investigative research and rare archive footage to trace the untold story of Planned Obsolescence, from its beginnings in the 1920s with a secret cartel, set up expressly to limit the life span of light bulbs
The Light Bulb Conspiracy | Watch Free Documentary Online

I would go further to say that giving people health problems has its own benefits for our overlords.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #39

Fuck sake man even when I agree with you a little bit (on the 'dirty electricity') you go right off the fucken deep end with "secret cartels" and "overlords"

They want to save electricity. That is a good thing. The only thing I don't like is people not having a choice.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #40
I subscribe to Revscene

In the states 70% of electricity comes from fossil fuels like coal and natural gas. If "we" wanted to save energy then why is public transport close to being as expensive as driving a car... why has the cartel promoted these heavy gas guzzling SUV's for so long?
Its because they make crazy amounts of money from selling us oil and gas.

At the end of the day, with these light bulbs, we are the ones who are suppose to save money from burnt fossil fuels to make electricity at the expense of our health.

You have some kind of warning mechanism that tells you when your cells are being stressed... not everyone has that. These EMF fields could be impairing our organ and repair systems in the comfort of our own homes and the system knows this.

Lastly I'd like to see you debunk that documentary if you think you're so knowledgeable.
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
Old 01-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #41

They use fossil fuel because it's hard to convince people to use nuclear power, and leaves a lot of waste that we still can't use that does nothing but accumulate.

Public transit is not close to being as expensive as driving a car. Not even close.

They promote gas guzzling SUVs because people buy gas guzzling SUVs.

I agree that Fluo lights suck. And it sucks that they are taking away the alternatives. But it's not a conspiracy, it's just a shitty decision run by dumb people. The "government" is just made up of people... There are dumb ones and there are smart ones. If enough dumb people are in the government to make dumb decisions, this is the type of thing that happens. It is the major drawback of a democracy...

And that documentary is not even worth the effort of acknowledging its existence.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #42
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
a little off topic, but, CiC, what exactly is NOT a conspiracy to you?
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #43
I subscribe to Revscene

I dont know what to say to that...
SkinnyPupp Im not going to go into tangents on why I think your points are wrong, but here is a working light bulb from the 1900's, featured in that documentary.
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
Old 01-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #44
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post
I dont know what to say to that...
SkinnyPupp Im not going to go into tangents on why I think your points are wrong, but here is a working light bulb from the 1900's, featured in that documentary.
World's Longest Running Lightbulb Goes Out In Livermore - YouTube
and look at the size of the filament.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #45
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby View Post
a little off topic, but, CiC, what exactly is NOT a conspiracy to you?
McDonalds is advertising that the Egg McMuffin is only 290 calories. A nutritionist I heard today said most store-bought muffins are loaded with so much oil, they run 300-500 calories.

Pretty sure there's a conspiracy there somewhere.

Now as for CFLs... has nobody clued in that WE'VE BEEN LIVING WITH FLUORESCENT BULBS IN NEARLY EVERY INDUSTRIAL AND COMMERCIAL ENVIRONMENT FOR ***DECADES***??? Your CFL - the C stands for COMPACT, remember - takes exactly that same technology and shrinks it down into a little spiral tube. EVERY. SINGLE. DANGER. that seems to have been "recently" discovered with CFLs - the flicker, the "dirty" power, the mercury - has been around FOR ***DECADES***... yet somehow none of them seem to have become a major earth-shattering problem until the discontinuation of incandescent bulbs was announced.

Don't get me wrong, I think all these technologies - CFL, LED, tungsten, halogen, etc. - have their place, and I think the move to get rid of incandescents is just knee-jerk stupidity... but the bitching and moaning and pulling of hair over it by making CFL out as some kind of villain is just as much knee-jerk stupidity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #46
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
i didnt realize that the US was banning 60watt incandescent bulbs too and thats why Harper hopped on board, bloody Harper quit being Americas butt rag
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
McDonalds is advertising that the Egg McMuffin is only 290 calories. A nutritionist I heard today said most store-bought muffins are loaded with so much oil, they run 300-500 calories.

Pretty sure there's a conspiracy there somewhere.

Now as for CFLs... has nobody clued in that WE'VE BEEN LIVING WITH FLUORESCENT BULBS IN NEARLY EVERY INDUSTRIAL AND COMMERCIAL ENVIRONMENT FOR ***DECADES***??? Your CFL - the C stands for COMPACT, remember - takes exactly that same technology and shrinks it down into a little spiral tube. EVERY. SINGLE. DANGER. that seems to have been "recently" discovered with CFLs - the flicker, the "dirty" power, the mercury - has been around FOR ***DECADES***... yet somehow none of them seem to have become a major earth-shattering problem until the discontinuation of incandescent bulbs was announced.

Don't get me wrong, I think all these technologies - CFL, LED, tungsten, halogen, etc. - have their place, and I think the move to get rid of incandescents is just knee-jerk stupidity... but the bitching and moaning and pulling of hair over it by making CFL out as some kind of villain is just as much knee-jerk stupidity.
Not sure what your point is.. fluorescent lights have ALWAYS sucked, whether compact or full size.

The difference is, people had a choice to not use them at home if they didn't want to.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:32 PM   #48
This title intentionally left blank MOD

I stock up on LED bulbs every time I head to WA and OR. All my bulbs are being switched over to LED with the exception of my bedroom lights which are all pot light halogens.

CFL, as mentioned, take too long to reach optimal brightness, and I found actual "lifetime" of the bulbs to be rather poor. Replacing CFL bulbs after 2 years, where I had incandescent bulbs last double that in low use situations, that's just ridiculous.

As far as "health" concerns... why on earth would you break any light bulbs? There are recycling places you can take the bulbs, instead of just throwing them out in the trash.

LED Bulbs FTW! Best price I've found thus far is $10.99/3 pack.

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #49
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Not sure what your point is.. fluorescent lights have ALWAYS sucked, whether compact or full size.

The difference is, people had a choice to not use them at home if they didn't want to.
Did you have a choice anywhere else. If you work in a office or a store you spent 8 hours under florescents 5 days a week. If you went to school same thing. I bet a lot of people spent just as much time if not more under florescents than they did under Incandescents.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Did you have a choice anywhere else. If you work in a office or a store you spent 8 hours under florescents 5 days a week. If you went to school same thing. I bet a lot of people spent just as much time if not more under florescents than they did under Incandescents.
That is a really poor argument.