REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
dangonay's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 1,798
Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Small Claims Court Question

I've taken people to small claims court a few times over disputes so I'm pretty familiar with how things work. However, my current situation is a little different so I thought I'd ask here first.

The thing is, I'm not suing for money or a debt. I want to sue someone to hand over copies of documents. These documents are bank records and I have enough information to know they exist and that they were used to attempt to commit a fraud against me (fraud failed, I caught the transfer in time).

The bank can't hand them over without either a court order or police involvement due to privacy issues (the records are attached to the other persons account).

I don't want to involve the police just yet (but may later depending on how things go). I also know the other person so this isn't a random incident. The other person is not cooperating.

So my options are:

- Sue the bank itself to force them to hand over the records.
- Sue the other person and have the court order them to sign a consent form so I can see the documents.
- Let the police handle it (where I may or may not get full access to the documents anyway).

I'm going to call a lawyer tomorrow anyway, but I wanted to know if it's possible to sue through small claims court for something like getting access to documents, or if small claims is only for financial matters.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
RS Peace Officer
zulutango's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
You say you were the victim of attempted fraud. Talk to your lawyer, call the Police if he agrees.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc. cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of