REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 01-06-2014, 03:41 PM   #26
Director of RS Cares

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post

I will say that I sympathise with people who have to work during this time, it must be tough. But for customers to complain about this? Calling it a "plague" and bitching about people posting photos on Facebook? What a pleasure you must be to be around if you have that kind of attitude.
I get it, DOV is attractive with their price points and gives people who might be on a budget/wanting to try a particular place but never got around to it etc. I also understand what you're saying but for me, my beef with DOV is when people who maybe goes out to eat once or twice a year, complain or act all high and mighty when their $38 (or whatever the most expensive set is nowadays) isn't served on a gold plate and complain how service was "TERRIBLE," when it probably wasn't even that bad at a well known establishment. They start becoming overnight food critics and giving restaurants a bad name when that might not be the case. I don't call myself a food blogger or critic, but coming from a lifestyle where I'm eating out at least 3 times a week I don't think DOV really highlights the true light that restaurant might have VS when it's just a normal dining experience outside of their promo (DOV) time.

I don't participate in DOV unless friends want to get together and make a night out of it, but not something I need to go crazy over with reservation like when I was 18. Of course, there is a chance the resto really does suck and even DOV can't save them. To each their own for this.

PS. I have nothing against people who choose to eat out once or twice a year either. Just stating my peeve with those who complain when they have nothing to compare that experience to/just complaining to complain.

PPS. Actually, one DOV resto I would visit is the Keg as for $38 is a steal considering I always end up ordering an appie and dessert (BILLY MINERS PIE!!) along with my prime rib which is already over the deal price.
Advertisement

Last edited by miss_crayon; 01-06-2014 at 03:49 PM.
miss_crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #27
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,811 Times in 8,187 Posts
Quote:
people who maybe goes out to eat once or twice a year, complain or act all high and mighty when their $38 (or whatever the most expensive set is nowadays) isn't served on a gold plate and complain how service was "TERRIBLE,"
I dunno it sounds like you guys are coming up with scenarios in your heads that don't exist... or you just socialize with annoying people who would be annoying pieces of shit whether DOV exists or not

Like I said, I have had good experiences at DOV and bad ones. When I have good ones, I almost always go back, and have become a 'regular' at at least one
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #28
Director of RS Cares

^i did have one person in mind when I was thinking about their posts on FB previous DOV years now that you mention it. But I do know a few peeps that don't go out often and or only rely on restos in the entertainment book to fulfill their dining experiences (mainly the fast food ones
...not so much the restaurants actually)

But with everything said, wishing everyone a happy dov if they do decide to go!

Posted via RS Mobile
miss_crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #29
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
so....are we here talking what a shitty deal/experience DoV is or are we here suggesting which restaurants we should try out?

i would rather like the latter...
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #30
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
so....are we here talking what a shitty deal/experience DoV is or are we here suggesting which restaurants we should try out?

i would rather like the latter...
if you really want to "try out" a restaurant go outside of dov because you will get a "tru-er" experience than you will at dov. That seems to be the consensus, and the resident restauranteur makes a valid point to that effect.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #31
-Stare-

Thanked 8,013 Times in 648 Posts
Regardless of the decreased quality of service, what are some places to go to?
ShadowBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #32
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
To me, I don't think the food quality should have any change. Portion sizes being smaller, I can definitely understand as the price point reflects that, but having the quality of food drop is bad for business.

The main thing I don't like about DoV is that the service drops to shit. I understand that the restaurant is trying to bring in as many people as possible, and you want to make a profit so you cut shifts and have less people working.. But god-damn, don't cut yourself so short that you can't handle your restaurant..

From last year;
-Gyu-Kaku wasn't a bad place to be, except that our reservation was delayed by about 30 minutes which was quite annoying.
-Joe Fortes was delicious as always with good service. (Same quality of food and same service as "full-price" times)
-Hamilton Street Grill had awesome service, but the menu was quite closed off and the choices weren't that great. (IMO)
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #33
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
To me, I don't think the food quality should have any change. Portion sizes being smaller, I can definitely understand as the price point reflects that, but having the quality of food drop is bad for business.

The main thing I don't like about DoV is that the service drops to shit. I understand that the restaurant is trying to bring in as many people as possible, and you want to make a profit so you cut shifts and have less people working.. But god-damn, don't cut yourself so short that you can't handle your restaurant..

From last year;
-Gyu-Kaku wasn't a bad place to be, except that our reservation was delayed by about 30 minutes which was quite annoying.
-Joe Fortes was delicious as always with good service. (Same quality of food and same service as "full-price" times)
-Hamilton Street Grill had awesome service, but the menu was quite closed off and the choices weren't that great. (IMO)
Some restaurant can't really cut their portions as it was already not a big portion to begin with....... I don't eat a lot but even with regular portions I don't really get full so if the restaurant decrease the portions I am sure a lot of people would complain.

Been to Joe Fortes and Hamilton Street Grill and their DoV menus is pretty decent. The food is good and at least I don't to wait over an hour for my food to arrive.

That being said DoV is not what it used to be any most restaurant put out a different menu that what they usually serve so you don't really get a chance to experience what you normally experience.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #34
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

I went to YEW last year. The food was ok, nothing special and I had horrible service, had to wait 30 min for the guy to bring the credit card machine over and the restaurant wasn't even full too!
icemiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
if you really want to "try out" a restaurant go outside of dov because you will get a "tru-er" experience than you will at dov. That seems to be the consensus, and the resident restauranteur makes a valid point to that effect.
i would still need suggestions.....hence the latter part of what i said....
Old 01-09-2014, 05:58 AM   #36
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
i have a date during DOV times and i have ot look speicifically for a restaurant that doesn't have DOV.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #37
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
i would still need suggestions.....hence the latter part of what i said....
Outside of DoV dates, Yew n Market n Five Sails are usually good though.
Posted via RS Mobile
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #38
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
anyone tried out cactus club before? looks promising...

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #39
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
TIP: Some restaurants have $100 GC for $80 at Costco. Saw Glowbal and Boathouse the other day. There's probably more.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #40
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
^Haven't seen recently, but those are the only DOV restaurants that have said GCs at Costco. The Glowbal one is good since you can go to any of their menus to check. Done that a few times over the years, but nothing piqued my interest this year.

The other restaurant GC that's there is Hy's. Glowbal and Hy's are always there. Boathouse only seems to be there during the holidays, so if you like the place you should stock up while supplies last.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #41
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
The Hys ones are pretty awesome, essentially free $40, two people have an excellent dinner and ya save $40 when ya buy $200 worth
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:21 AM   #42
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

DOV or not, Miku and West has always been good. I agree with all of Skinny Pupp's points in this thread.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:50 PM   #43
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Went to Italian Kitchen tonight. Took lots of pictures and posted them on facebook. I wrote a review on yelp because I thought it wasn't very good either.

Appetizers were great and when I walked in all I could smell garlic bread so I had to order some. Lobster ravioli was the better of the mains. Service was good and atmosphere was good. Will go again.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:11 PM   #44
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,811 Times in 8,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Went to Italian Kitchen tonight. Took lots of pictures and posted them on facebook. I wrote a review on yelp because I thought it wasn't very good either.
Such a poser

You are literally the plague
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #45
I subscribe to Revscene

anyones been to or going to forage?
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:24 AM   #46
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Going to Seasons in the Park again this year. Mom's favourite place.
zetazeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #47
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,688 Posts
Pier 73 near the Delta Hotel, Airport south terminal has a decent DOV menu for $28 per person.

Appetizers: NotSoBoston Crowder (Seriously, that's the name) OR Seafood platter (calamari, sturgeon crabcakes, and albacore tuna on top of some Japanese noodles).

Main Course: Seafood stew (shrimp, mussels, pacific fish, in fennel and tomato broth), or Flat Iron steak, or Pork Loin.

Dessert: Tart flight (peanut butter cup,lemon meringue tart, and cheesecake).

A quiet restaurant except when we watched the Seahawks and 49ers game during our dinner last Sunday. Free parking as long as you give your licence plate number to the staff.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durrann View Post
anyones been to or going to forage?
Went last night. It was freaking amazing. Service was top notch. Everything was explained in what was in our dishes.

Food was excellent. I had the chowder, pork belly and the blueberry financier for dessert. If you go I recommend that. My wife had the bison carpaccio, salmon, and the rye toast for dessert. Bison carpaccio was delicious. It had a creamy buttery texture to it. Salmon wasn't dry at all.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #49
xxx

anyone been to Kobe Japanese Steakhouse? How does it compare to the Keg if you're looking for a nice juicy steak?

edit: never mind not going to either places

Last edited by Oleophobic; 01-21-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #50
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Not much of a 'foodie' but went to The Sandbar on Friday night for dine out. Food was all really good, service was awesome. Was definitely skeptical reading through this thread, but I was happy with everything probably try a couple more places in the next week or two.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote