REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!

Thanked 9,234 Times in 3,293 Posts
Dukezong (shangri-la) 1300+yr old town razed in 10hr fire

Town that is advertised as being the inspiration for the stories of Shangri-La caught fire in the early morning hours and within 10hrs was destroyed :/ such a shame but given the close proximity of everything and the materials I guess it isn't a surprise? :/

Chinese tourist town of Dukezong, Shangri-la, Yunnan, razed in 10-hour inferno | News.com.au

Fire ravages Tibetan neighbourhood said to be inspiration for mythic Shangri-La - The Globe and Mail

Quote:
Fire ravages Tibetan neighbourhood said to be inspiration for mythic Shangri-La
CHRIS BUCKLEY
HONG KONG

Fire blazed through an ancient Tibetan neighbourhood in southwestern China on Saturday, destroying hundreds of wooden homes and shops that have drawn tourists to an area that has cast itself as the inspiration for mythic Shangri-La.

Chinese television news said that the fire in Dukezong in Shangri-La county, Yunnan province, had broken out in the early hours, and that hundreds of firefighters, soldiers and volunteers had largely extinguished the blaze by late morning. There were no immediate reports of deaths or serious injuries. Yet even without casualties, the fire will deal a heavy blow to a community that has sought to protect its traditions while attracting growing crowds.
Advertisement
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,258 Times in 474 Posts
A shame... looks like a beautiful town steeped in tradition and ancient culture
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
oh man, that is really quite sad
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

very unfortunate
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:29 AM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Sucks, but that's just waiting to happen. All these old wooden buildings, and most likely no (not just insufficient) sprinklers like modern buildings..
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
Performance Moderator

Thanked 3,380 Times in 956 Posts
I'm sure the China government will step in and help all the people who lost their homes
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #7
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Now some real estate development firm conveniently steps in to buy the land, build apartments and market them as the new Shangri-la.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #8
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Very sad indeed. But I agree, the government would probably take advantage of this situation
Posted via RS Mobile
BBMme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,042 Times in 303 Posts
how did the fire start?
zilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #10
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,301 Posts
such a shame...i would've loved to visit this place IRL

Old 01-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #11
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,070 Times in 518 Posts
Such a shame to see such to see such tradition destroyed. I'm a big fan of seeing such history in places all over the world. That's why on my first trip to China a couple years back I picked Beijing over Shanghai so I can see some history from my Chinese past.

I also went to Hong Kong for my 2nd time on the same trip, with my previous visit being about 20 years ago. I hated it the first time and didn't enjoy it my 2nd time either but was rather disappointed I didn't see much of that Hong Kong tradition I remember and also seeing in movies and tv throughout my life. Skinnypup touched on this in a different thread as well.

I hope the people who had their homes ruined in this tragic fire get back up on their feet soon and RIP to anyone who may have lost their life.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:14 PM   #12
Bieksa eats bears for breakfast...

I've been to HK every year for the last 6 years - the first 2 years i thought the same. However, its been the last 4 years that I've been able to find the HK tradition that you see in the movies and in television. It takes effort to find it, and you can't really be in Yau Tsim Mong area or else you won't see it, but its there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Such a shame to see such to see such tradition destroyed. I'm a big fan of seeing such history in places all over the world. That's why on my first trip to China a couple years back I picked Beijing over Shanghai so I can see some history from my Chinese past.

I also went to Hong Kong for my 2nd time on the same trip, with my previous visit being about 20 years ago. I hated it the first time and didn't enjoy it my 2nd time either but was rather disappointed I didn't see much of that Hong Kong tradition I remember and also seeing in movies and tv throughout my life. Skinnypup touched on this in a different thread as well.

I hope the people who had their homes ruined in this tragic fire get back up on their feet soon and RIP to anyone who may have lost their life.

Your balls are sensitive things!! They shouldn't be played around with, at least not like that, and you should NOT BE DIPPING THEM IN AFTERSHAVE! Oh my god, I feel sorry for your balls!"

ODC: "Wrong, a roots type blower will produce max boost from 0rpm to redline."

Iceman_19: "A roots makes zero boost at zero rpm, lol"

Ulic Qel-Droma: "haha go google image big black dick. or black cock. i forgot which term i used. it's one of the many."
Iceman_2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,384 Times in 575 Posts
Wow... that's sad.

I went there a few years back with my wife (then GF) as part of our Yunan trip.

It' was a beautiful town.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #14
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
such a shame...i would've loved to visit this place IRL

not sure why but that remind me of uncharted lol. Is that pic from that game?
striderblade is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2014, 10:46 PM   #15
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,301 Posts
yeah they called it Shambhala lol
it's hard to tell without clicking on it if it's a game with 'good' visuals or just a scenic photo with HDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoc View Post
Now some real estate development firm conveniently steps in to buy the land, build apartments and market them as the new Shangri-la.
good theory but I don't many would flock to a new development in a rural area...unless there's some stunning view

Last edited by twitchyzero; 01-12-2014 at 10:52 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote