REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Will I Get Suspended Again? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/691943-will-i-get-suspended-again.html)

Tone Loc 01-13-2014 03:29 PM

Will I Get Suspended Again?

Long story short...

1. Received ticket for Excessive Speed in May 2011. Car impounded as well. Had my N at the time, didn't dispute it as I knew I was guilty. Paid it the next day.

2. License was suspended for 4 months Sept 2011-Jan 2012. I was surprised, believe me, but since my offence happened shortly after those 12 kids were busted racing down Hwy 99 I guess the OSMV got tougher with Novice drivers.

3. Got license back. Got another ticket in March 2012 for Illegal U-Turn. Disputed it, was hoping to use defence of necessity. Basically, was on Hwy 1 Eastbound, planned to get off at Exit 44 Coquitlam, it was closed due to construction and I ended up in Surrey. I never go to Surrey and I was lost, running low on gas to boot. Did a U-Turn on 152nd to quickly get back to Hwy 1 before detours would take me further, got served a ticket.

4. Got court date for July 2013, had it adjourned... important job interview that same day, didn't want to re-sched and give the boss my "reason". Got the job (thankfully).

5. Got my Class 5 in Dec 2013.

6. Went to court this past week, JP didn't see it my way - Guilty! - but was sympathetic to the point that my fine was reduced to $70 and given until end of Feb to pay.

So my question is... will I get suspended again? My understanding is that the points, though I only was determined guilty now, would be put on as of the March 2012 violation date which would have been during my probation. Obviously, this would mean a suspension of my license again.

I spoke to the Officer today though, and he said "in my experience I have never seen anyone get suspended for a U-Turn ticket before, especially now that you have your Class 5. The Excessive Speed was in your N stage, when you get your 5 it is almost like a new license without your old points on it". He stated that the points would be put on my license as of the day I plead guilty and thus out of the probationary period, which he said ends when you get your Class 5.

Was he just trying to make me feel less bad? Or was he serious. He looked like an older Member with lots of experience on Traffic Duty.

Oh and this is my first post even though I had an account here since 2008. So.... hello...

zilley 01-13-2014 03:36 PM

strong first post since 08.

I thought some other member had the same offences. weird.

anyways, I doubt you will be suspended again because you now have your class 5.

and why were you surprised you were suspended for excessive speeding?

snails 01-13-2014 03:43 PM

May 2011 for the first offence

i think on the letter it tells you that you will be under a probation period for 2 years or something

and now that you have your class 5 it will be very unlikely that they take it based on points anyways

Tone Loc 01-13-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zilley (Post 8398780)
strong first post since 08.

I thought some other member had the same offences. weird.

anyways, I doubt you will be suspended again because you now have your class 5.

and why were you surprised you were suspended for excessive speeding?

I know what I did was moronic, I f***ed up, I was a stupid high school kid trying to impress a GF who was equally as dumb. But reading these forums back then, many people had tickets past Excessive Speed that led to the suspension. I'm not saying I didn't deserve it - I did, and my idiot driving has changed since then - but I was just surprised by the heavy handedness of the 4 month punishment.

Tone Loc 01-13-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snails (Post 8398785)
May 2011 for the first offence

i think on the letter it tells you that you will be under a probation period for 2 years or something

and now that you have your class 5 it will be very unlikely that they take it based on points anyways

I don't have a copy of the letter as I moved houses since then and lost it. I called ICBC today and they have zero clue, the lady just kept repeating that I was suspended from Sept 2011 to Jan 2012 (no sh*t) and I ended the call realizing I was getting nowhere.

Spidey 01-13-2014 05:09 PM

did you have other tickets before the Excessive speeding one? It could have been because of penalty points that you got your Licence suspended. If not, even though Excessive carries only 3 points, it could be because of the fact that it was "excessive" and ICBC frowns greatly on that for an N.

The fact that the officer said he never seen anyone have their Licence suspended from a U turn is inaccurate. Most offences don't get your licence suspended. It is usually going over the maximum Penalty points you are allowed in a year, or more severe offences like Impaired driving. U turns carry only 2 penalty points.

geeknerd 01-13-2014 05:38 PM

I have experience with this. You won't get suspended now that you have your class 5. However, with your excessive speed, you will be paying DRP. I disputed my 2nd N ticket so that the court date is after my class 5 test. I passed the test, paid the ticket and no suspension.

GabAlmighty 01-13-2014 06:00 PM

As others have said, you won't be suspended. I had friends who were disputing multiple tickets and kept pushing the court dates back so that they could get their class 5's and not be suspended.

Tone Loc 01-13-2014 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeknerd (Post 8398863)
I have experience with this. You won't get suspended now that you have your class 5. However, with your excessive speed, you will be paying DRP. I disputed my 2nd N ticket so that the court date is after my class 5 test. I passed the test, paid the ticket and no suspension.

Been paying that for the past 2 years, my understanding is that this is my last year (2014). Please don't tell me the 2 points from the U-turn will add on to my DRP...:okay:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 8398848)
did you have other tickets before the Excessive speeding one? It could have been because of penalty points that you got your Licence suspended. If not, even though Excessive carries only 3 points, it could be because of the fact that it was "excessive" and ICBC frowns greatly on that for an N.

No. That was my first and only ticket until the U-Turn one. But you have a very valid point, that was an incredibly pigheaded thing for someone my age and experience to do. I'm just happy I learned the easy way - ticket, suspension, DRP - rather than getting into an accident where someone innocent was hurt.

AW607 01-13-2014 09:40 PM

With a fresh class 5, suspension is very unlikely. How much longer do you have to shell out payment for the DRP? Seems like a while..

Tone Loc 01-13-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AW607 (Post 8399118)
With a fresh class 5, suspension is very unlikely. How much longer do you have to shell out payment for the DRP? Seems like a while..

I was told 3 years. So 2014 would hopefully be my last year :fullofwin: