REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Will I Get Suspended Again?

Long story short...

1. Received ticket for Excessive Speed in May 2011. Car impounded as well. Had my N at the time, didn't dispute it as I knew I was guilty. Paid it the next day.

2. License was suspended for 4 months Sept 2011-Jan 2012. I was surprised, believe me, but since my offence happened shortly after those 12 kids were busted racing down Hwy 99 I guess the OSMV got tougher with Novice drivers.

3. Got license back. Got another ticket in March 2012 for Illegal U-Turn. Disputed it, was hoping to use defence of necessity. Basically, was on Hwy 1 Eastbound, planned to get off at Exit 44 Coquitlam, it was closed due to construction and I ended up in Surrey. I never go to Surrey and I was lost, running low on gas to boot. Did a U-Turn on 152nd to quickly get back to Hwy 1 before detours would take me further, got served a ticket.

4. Got court date for July 2013, had it adjourned... important job interview that same day, didn't want to re-sched and give the boss my "reason". Got the job (thankfully).

5. Got my Class 5 in Dec 2013.

6. Went to court this past week, JP didn't see it my way - Guilty! - but was sympathetic to the point that my fine was reduced to $70 and given until end of Feb to pay.

So my question is... will I get suspended again? My understanding is that the points, though I only was determined guilty now, would be put on as of the March 2012 violation date which would have been during my probation. Obviously, this would mean a suspension of my license again.

I spoke to the Officer today though, and he said "in my experience I have never seen anyone get suspended for a U-Turn ticket before, especially now that you have your Class 5. The Excessive Speed was in your N stage, when you get your 5 it is almost like a new license without your old points on it". He stated that the points would be put on my license as of the day I plead guilty and thus out of the probationary period, which he said ends when you get your Class 5.

Was he just trying to make me feel less bad? Or was he serious. He looked like an older Member with lots of experience on Traffic Duty.

Oh and this is my first post even though I had an account here since 2008. So.... hello...
Advertisement

Last edited by Tone Loc; 01-13-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,063 Times in 308 Posts
strong first post since 08.

I thought some other member had the same offences. weird.

anyways, I doubt you will be suspended again because you now have your class 5.

and why were you surprised you were suspended for excessive speeding?
zilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
May 2011 for the first offence

i think on the letter it tells you that you will be under a probation period for 2 years or something

and now that you have your class 5 it will be very unlikely that they take it based on points anyways
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilley View Post
strong first post since 08.

I thought some other member had the same offences. weird.

anyways, I doubt you will be suspended again because you now have your class 5.

and why were you surprised you were suspended for excessive speeding?
I know what I did was moronic, I f***ed up, I was a stupid high school kid trying to impress a GF who was equally as dumb. But reading these forums back then, many people had tickets past Excessive Speed that led to the suspension. I'm not saying I didn't deserve it - I did, and my idiot driving has changed since then - but I was just surprised by the heavy handedness of the 4 month punishment.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
May 2011 for the first offence

i think on the letter it tells you that you will be under a probation period for 2 years or something

and now that you have your class 5 it will be very unlikely that they take it based on points anyways
I don't have a copy of the letter as I moved houses since then and lost it. I called ICBC today and they have zero clue, the lady just kept repeating that I was suspended from Sept 2011 to Jan 2012 (no sh*t) and I ended the call realizing I was getting nowhere.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
did you have other tickets before the Excessive speeding one? It could have been because of penalty points that you got your Licence suspended. If not, even though Excessive carries only 3 points, it could be because of the fact that it was "excessive" and ICBC frowns greatly on that for an N.

The fact that the officer said he never seen anyone have their Licence suspended from a U turn is inaccurate. Most offences don't get your licence suspended. It is usually going over the maximum Penalty points you are allowed in a year, or more severe offences like Impaired driving. U turns carry only 2 penalty points.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #7
I bringith the lowerballerith

I have experience with this. You won't get suspended now that you have your class 5. However, with your excessive speed, you will be paying DRP. I disputed my 2nd N ticket so that the court date is after my class 5 test. I passed the test, paid the ticket and no suspension.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
As others have said, you won't be suspended. I had friends who were disputing multiple tickets and kept pushing the court dates back so that they could get their class 5's and not be suspended.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
I have experience with this. You won't get suspended now that you have your class 5. However, with your excessive speed, you will be paying DRP. I disputed my 2nd N ticket so that the court date is after my class 5 test. I passed the test, paid the ticket and no suspension.
Been paying that for the past 2 years, my understanding is that this is my last year (2014). Please don't tell me the 2 points from the U-turn will add on to my DRP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
did you have other tickets before the Excessive speeding one? It could have been because of penalty points that you got your Licence suspended. If not, even though Excessive carries only 3 points, it could be because of the fact that it was "excessive" and ICBC frowns greatly on that for an N.
No. That was my first and only ticket until the U-Turn one. But you have a very valid point, that was an incredibly pigheaded thing for someone my age and experience to do. I'm just happy I learned the easy way - ticket, suspension, DRP - rather than getting into an accident where someone innocent was hurt.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #10

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
With a fresh class 5, suspension is very unlikely. How much longer do you have to shell out payment for the DRP? Seems like a while..
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW607 View Post
With a fresh class 5, suspension is very unlikely. How much longer do you have to shell out payment for the DRP? Seems like a while..
I was told 3 years. So 2014 would hopefully be my last year