REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-17-2014, 05:49 PM   #26
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
1 block south of 41 and granville would be 43 and granville. there is a church right by there. Is there where you parked?
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #27
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

This may seem dumb... but I just Leave my doors unlocked. You wanna go in my car and steal my $10 pair of sunglasses... fine just don't break my mother fucking window... steal the car? w/e its insured
4nik8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #28
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
My friend's apartment had 19 cars broken into last night
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #29
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nik8 View Post
This may seem dumb... but I just Leave my doors unlocked. You wanna go in my car and steal my $10 pair of sunglasses... fine just don't break my mother fucking window... steal the car? w/e its insured
This may or may not be smart -- some cars have an auto-alarm that arms so even if the door is unlocked, if the alarm is armed the alarm will sound whereas simply smashing the window and reaching in prevents the alarm from going off in almost all factory alarms

i drive my honda most of the time, there's a lock on the interior trunk release that I keep locked, as well as a lock on the rear folding seats that I keep locked. Any valuables get thrown in the trunk and nothing's left inside except for shitty CD's and mcdonalds wrappers
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #30
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
This may or may not be smart -- some cars have an auto-alarm that arms so even if the door is unlocked, if the alarm is armed the alarm will sound whereas simply smashing the window and reaching in prevents the alarm from going off in almost all factory alarms

i drive my honda most of the time, there's a lock on the interior trunk release that I keep locked, as well as a lock on the rear folding seats that I keep locked. Any valuables get thrown in the trunk and nothing's left inside except for shitty CD's and mcdonalds wrappers
This was a few years back, and I cannot find the original news report.

There was a Nissan Pathfinder owner who parked on the street that was always getting broken into. The doors and windows were so messed up there was no way of locking up the car so no valubles were kept inside anymore, so they started going for stuff like the radio, etc..

Finally ICBC told the owner in writing that they were no longer going to insure her. I can't remember what she ended up doing next.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #31
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
A friend of mine who used to live in East Van got tired of people breaking into his car for nothing. He decided to do a little experiment:

He put a little sticker on his window that reads "Dear thief, driver's door is unlocked. Please use it for your safety and convenience" and see if anyone would still be interested in breaking into his car. So everyday, he left the driver's door unlocked and put a small piece of clear tape on the door before he walks away from car. (so he can know whether anyone had opened the door)

And he never ever had anyone bothered to even open his door for a good 5 months until one morning, he found that the tape was tampered with a note left on his windshield inside the car that read "Dear car owner, FUCK you for leaving nothing. But thank you for your honesty, thief.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #32
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
^

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #33
RS controls my life!

My Lancer got broken into in front of my house awhile ago, smashed the front passenger window. No valuables were left inside. The thing that attracted the thief was probably the suction cup mount I left on the windshield. Went through the glove box and center console, didn't take anything.

And another time, my mother forgot to lock her car. The next day, we realized the car was searched. Again the glove box and center console were went through, but not the ashtray for some reason...there was like $10-$15 worth of change in there. Trunk was fine too. Nothing was missing.
Lancerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:47 PM   #34
degenerate extraordinaire

There are a few random people walking around here (by Magee) late in the night/early in the mornings as well. In fact, I saw a couple looking fairly shady in the neighbourhood as I was driving back 40 minutes ago. They just stood there on the sidewalk looking around. Hopefully those are the home owners taking in some fresh air.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #35
RS controls my life!

off topic: I never knew I have so many neighbours on RS!!!
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
----\\\-///----
-----\\///-----
------///\-----
-----///\\\----
----///--\\\---
xmisstrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2014, 11:23 AM   #36
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikkaku View Post
There are a few random people walking around here (by Magee) late in the night/early in the mornings as well. In fact, I saw a couple looking fairly shady in the neighbourhood as I was driving back 40 minutes ago. They just stood there on the sidewalk looking around. Hopefully those are the home owners taking in some fresh air.
Shady looking ppl couldn't afford a house near Magee.

Unless, their occupation:

KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #37
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
My van got smashed last month underground parking, along with several others. Our fault..for convenience we kept a backpack with nothing but diapers and wipes.

Nothing was stolen. But..thief left on my seat a fully wrapped package of 4 ferraro rochet..

I'm almost positive he didn't dig that up in my car, as chocolate does not last a minute within my vicinity.

$300 for 4 ferraro rochet..you best believe I enjoyed them.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #38
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
The scary part is you actually ate chocolate that a thief left behind in your vehicle...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #39
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO7 View Post
I probably park at almost the exact spot you were at whenever I eat at Ebei Sushi...

Have noticed broken glass on multiple occasions on that block. From now on, I think I'll park across the street near Esso instead.
This is exactly where I parked.. I didn't know it was a problem area
Make this a warning to those who wants to park there next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon604 View Post
recently I noticed a lot car break-ins/suspicious activities on the west side. I live around Granville and 49th. In fact couple days ago, I noticed my backyard door was opened. So I checked my video surveillance and found a women wearing a toque walking around my backyard, looking into my garage and home. She came from the front and enter thru the sidedoor. Then she just opened the backyard door and left...

This happened last sunday 3:00AM. So keep your eyes on the look out
This is messed up.. Do these people walk around and check on every single car if they are unlocked? I suspect it's those people that asks for change on one of those road islands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
1 block south of 41 and granville would be 43 and granville. there is a church right by there. Is there where you parked?
It's the south west side of Granville and 41st. It's between 41st and 43rd.
Watch out there guys.
LightKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #40
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
thieves are mobile too.

never have anything exposed that is visible.

it only takes 1 break in for a "lesson" learned to have an alarm on the vehicle.

doesnt matter if the items in your car are seen as "valuable" to you or not. a thief sees it as something they can sell, or your can can be used, its candy in their eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightKeeper View Post
I had my car broken in to last night. I parked on Granville street a block south of 41st. It was dinner time around 8pm. I really can't believe it happened there at that hour on such a lively street! My whole right rear passenger window was smashed and the person somehow ****ed up the door also. It wouldn't even open! All they took was my bag with my textbooks and okay.. The new ps vita I got for Christmas was inside. All I want are my textbooks back. Those are pricey as ****.

The most retarded thing is that I just fixed it up a month from another break in when I parked at home in burnaby.

How frequent do these break ins have to happen seriously..
Well I learned not to put anything in the car at all. It was just very unexpected this time on such a lively street. Ugh...
Posted via RS Mobile

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #41
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Warning for the people living around kingsway and nanaimo; my friend got his car stolen last night from 12-2am, late 90's 4-door accord. Those cars don't have alarms I guess, but it got driven away too.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:50 PM   #42
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
I won't lie, I've left doors unlocked on all my vehicles. Up to a full day.

BUT, there's nothing in my car to steal. I don't keep anything in my car except the manuals. I guess if a thief wanted to, they could steal my car and have it serviced
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #43
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I had three cars on my block smashed in including my car before I got an alarm.
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:42 PM   #44
My homepage has been set to RS

Some dude was posted up around the south burnaby area by my friends house, we walked out and asked him what he was doing, said he "worked for icbc and was monitoring break-ins" we looked around and there were high school kids walking all over the place as it was just after 3PM. It was a nice sunny day outside and I DID NOT believe him at all.

He then told us that this was the high season for break-ins for cars and that during Christmas time people get their cars broken into the most because of Christmas presents being in the trunk etc.

This ICBC guy and his partner were eating a sandwich with their car vehicle turned on fully... Don't know if this was a shady group or just a serious ICBC employee.

Anyone ever encounter this?
yellowpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:57 PM   #45
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
^havent encountered that but my area had a police car around at night after a few break ins. Also...if anyones car got broken into on Sat near 33rd, apparently there was a drunk guy just smashing windows for fun

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:17 AM   #46
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
you guys just live in shitty neighbourhoods
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-21-2014, 07:04 AM   #47
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowpower View Post
Some dude was posted up around the south burnaby area by my friends house, we walked out and asked him what he was doing, said he "worked for icbc and was monitoring break-ins" we looked around and there were high school kids walking all over the place as it was just after 3PM. It was a nice sunny day outside and I DID NOT believe him at all.

He then told us that this was the high season for break-ins for cars and that during Christmas time people get their cars broken into the most because of Christmas presents being in the trunk etc.

This ICBC guy and his partner were eating a sandwich with their car vehicle turned on fully... Don't know if this was a shady group or just a serious ICBC employee.

Anyone ever encounter this?
i've seen groups of people in the past in marked vests or clothing roaming mall parking lots looking into parked cars and giving out "tickets" on the windshield for stuff like "posessions left out in open" or "door unlocked", etc.. not sure if they work for icbc or not.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:21 AM   #48
I'm invisible

I think they volunteer for the RCMP people, just to let people know they have stuff left out in the open.. I saw it once at Richmond Superstore.
Posted via RS Mobile
Edison_Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #49
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,233 Times in 266 Posts
accidentally left my drivers side window completely down with my ipod plugged in on the side of the street where I park, when I went to my car the next day I thought somebody had broken into it but there was no glass anywhere and nothing missing

I'm not sure if nobody walked by or if anyone did maybe thought it was a bait car?
slicrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #50
degenerate extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
i've seen groups of people in the past in marked vests or clothing roaming mall parking lots looking into parked cars and giving out "tickets" on the windshield for stuff like "posessions left out in open" or "door unlocked", etc.. not sure if they work for icbc or not.
We've had that happen to us back in high school. The south arm community police/volunteers went through our parking lot to leave those notes on our dash. At first I was like why did I get ticketed for parking at school when I have the parking pass, and then it said I had some loose change (nickels and pennies) in my cupholder and my cd wallet was visible (door pocket).

I am pretty sure those people have vests or uniforms on, as I've seen a few community policing volunteers walk around in groups. Last thing they would want is to get assaulted by people thinking they're thieves, with what they do.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote