REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Just at the point to fail air care...only a little (https://www.revscene.net/forums/692120-just-point-fail-air-care-only-little.html)

gc8c4dd 01-20-2014 11:54 AM

Just at the point to fail air care...only a little

1995 civic 1.5L

NGK spark plug.

No driving test,

But on idle test, everything passed except hydrocarbons

They allowed 116 and I got 126....
Is there anything to help?

I heard Methyl Hydrate or guarantee to pass will do the trick, which one should I try? Thanks
Posted via RS Mobile

snails 01-20-2014 12:09 PM

certain things cause you to fail certain parts of the test.. google what causes high hydrocarbons and address that aspect.. i dont remember exactly but i think retarding your timing helps with hydrocarbons?

dont quote me on that, use it as an example

SuavePapi 01-20-2014 09:55 PM

What kind of gas are you using? In my case (barely failed HC aswell) i was using 94 instead of using 87. In addition, i've also changed my air filter, got an oil change, and used guaranteed to pass and BOOM PASS DAT WITH FLYING COLORS srs.

gc8c4dd 01-21-2014 06:01 AM

Thanks guys for the reply..I'm still using 87...but I did not warmed my car well...then a few hours later, I went to lordco and buy a gurentee to pass, pull the whole bottle in a half tank....2nd gear 3-4k rpm at 60km/h.....keep running 2k rpm while waiting, hydrocarbons dropped down from 126 to 56 and passed, and sold my car 2 hours later!!

Another thing to ask, I'm buying a 96 subaru wrx type-ra sti ver II V-limited...they said first registering the car doesn't need to pass air care, but currently my insurance is in-transfer now, and 1 year ten is expiring in march, do I need to do air care when I renew my insurance?
Thanks
Posted via RS Mobile

ywgscooby 01-23-2014 05:14 AM

The one year starts from when you initially register your Subaru if you are the first owner.

StanleyR 03-05-2014 09:25 PM

get it hot...and by hot I mean hotter than hell hot! I guarantee you'll pass!

I had that issue with my 88 325is. I failed the first time.
The same afternoon after finding out I didn't heat it up enough, I took the car up the mt seymour and back down again. After that hard drive the cat was fully heated up and did it's job beautifully. Passed by a WIDE margin!

fliptuner 03-05-2014 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyR (Post 8429609)
get it hot...and by hot I mean hotter than hell hot! I guarantee you'll pass!

I had that issue with my 88 325is. I failed the first time.
The same afternoon after finding out I didn't heat it up enough, I took the car up the mt seymour and back down again. After that hard drive the cat was fully heated up and did it's job beautifully. Passed by a WIDE margin!

While a cat works best at full operating temp., it doesn't mean it's going to be that hot when he takes the test - especially if there's a line-up.

Yodamaster 03-16-2014 04:23 PM

I replaced the emissions equipment in my buddy's Jeep, and it failed it's first aircare test by a pretty large margin. He drove it around on a three month insurance permit, and we tried again with new 91 oct in the tank, got it nice and hot and it passed with flying colors.