REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Heading down to LAX/LAS

Hey everyone,

I am thinking of heading down to Los Angeles in a couple months (with the loonie being this low i know) for a road trip. I've decided to rent a 2013 Rav4 with Hertz and I'm planning to drive it through the Mojave Desert. How reliable is this car for some rocky terrain? Is there anything I should know about a Rav4? I just drive a 07 Civic here in Van, and I have driven an SUV many times before.
I am travelling with 3 others, and I'm just wary of the reliability of a rental SUV when I'll be venturing to the Kelso Sand Dunes for a hike in April where there will be no cell reception, and probably no people either. The distance away from civilization and probably reception will be about 75 miles, so 150 miles both ways.

Any insights or advice please don't hesitate! Thanks
Advertisement
jpw12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:19 AM   #2
Need my Daily Fix of RS

should rent a wrangler instead, more clearance for different terrains and it sounds like it would be more fun
buddha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:46 AM   #3
10psi aint enough...

I own a rav4 4wd and find that the car is pretty reliable and low maintenance. Easy driving but a little nimble with sharp turns... But overall decent car. The 2013 is more roomy than mine so 4 ppl shouldnt be a problem. As long as you check tire pressure, oil, all fluids, and overall car is maintained well... There shouldnt be a problem driving to anywhere...
I think theres a 2wd and 4wd trim package now, right?? Which one did you rent?

Its a nice drive to LA, I drove from Van to SF last year for a road trip and found that its quite a nice drive. Once you get to Lake Oswego, the roads are wide and easy to drive, remember to stop at cannon beach, nice area to walk the beach and eat... Village is nice to walk, Toursit attraction.

Medford has some decent stops but nothing too exciting.
Rest of the way to california is easy as road signs are everywhere... Make sure stop by fisherman wharf.
Afterwards driving to LA should be simple too.
I didnt go past SF/San Leandro since thats my final spot.

Have a good time, dont worry about the rav4... If car is maintained well, you will be fine.
Posted via RS Mobile
HondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

This is literally all I can think about

Always opt for the additional insurance!
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #5
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGuy View Post
I think theres a 2wd and 4wd trim package now, right?? Which one did you rent?
Posted via RS Mobile
I rented the 2013 4wd trim. I am actually renting from Hertz in LAX. I will be flying from Bellingham to Los Angeles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rriggi View Post
Always opt for the additional insurance!
I am using my mastercard's MasterRental benefit which provides me with the Loss And Damage Liability Waiver coverage for cars $65,000 or under. This way I won't have to pay the additional insurance that Hertz offers. Any advice on this matter?
jpw12 is offline   Reply With Quote