REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 01-23-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Leaking Coolant! Help please

Hi guys, I'm here again. I'm completely oblivious to repairing cars but i'm trying my best to learn. Okay so here's my problem

I have a 1997 integra GS and i recently replaced my upper radiator hose as it has exploded and coolant went all over the place. So 2 days later i started smelling coolant and popped the hood and what do ya know... coolant is right under clamp thats close to the fan, the one nearer to the front bumper (if that makes any sense). I'm trying to figure out where the leak is coming from but I have absolutely no idea where the source is. I felt all around the radiator hose clamps and could not feel any leaks.

I'm thinking maaaaybe its because i over filled the coolant that goes into the gasket, or should i replace the hose that's connected to the gasket to coolant reservoir, replace clamps (not to sure if this will fix it), or maybe its the gasket pressure cap. I have no idea lol, someone please help willthank/10
Advertisement
SuavePapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,164 Times in 201 Posts
Could it be leaking from the radiator seams? Was the coolant system bled properly after you changed the hose? I'd suggest changing the thermostat and rad cap as those two have to do with pressurizing the system. Could've been the culprit to the first rad hose bursting! Any pics?
Posted via RS Mobile
DiiCii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiCii View Post
Could it be leaking from the radiator seams? Was the coolant system bled properly after you changed the hose? I'd suggest changing the thermostat and rad cap as those two have to do with pressurizing the system. Could've been the culprit to the first rad hose bursting! Any pics?
Posted via RS Mobile
IMG_2873.jpg
IMG_2874.jpg
IMG_2875.jpg
Check them out let me know. I tried squeezing the end piece (near the clamp) and a little bit of coolant comes out. Could it be that i need to place the clamp a bit closer to the end?

PS. I didn't change the clamps, thermostat, or bled the system and i'm not too entirely sure if its the top of the radiator thats leaking. Everything feels dry... weird eh?

EDIT: Okay so i think i found the source of the leak

kuntt.jpg

I cleaned up the coolant and took the car for a quick little drive and popped the hood and saw it leaking, not from the hose but from the radiator?

Last edited by SuavePapi; 01-24-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Change the clamp and make sure theres no holes in the hose. Also by the looks of it, the hose isnt on far enough. Could also be corrosion beneath the hose.
Posted via RS Mobile
BraedenDA is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraedenDA View Post
Change the clamp and make sure theres no holes in the hose. Also by the looks of it, the hose isnt on far enough. Could also be corrosion beneath the hose.
Posted via RS Mobile
I changed the hose yesterday and I just recently moved the clamp more closer to the end and its still leaking. if its corrosion beneath the hose could i just use some kind of sealant and just seal it so it doesn't leak?
Old 01-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

You would have to take the rad end of the hose of and scrub it with emery cloth.
Posted via RS Mobile
BraedenDA is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
If it's cracked, it's toast.

I might have one, have to check.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #8
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraedenDA View Post
You would have to take the rad end of the hose of and scrub it with emery cloth.
Posted via RS Mobile
Would that help at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
If it's cracked, it's toast.

I might have one, have to check.
I really hope it isn't cracked and it's just the hose that's leaking lol. Everything was perfectly fine before replacing the hose (besides the hose exploding) but other than that... yeah it was all smooth sailing o_o
Old 01-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Just be careful of anywhere where you have the metal of the radiator meeting the plastic housing -- that's usually where they start to leak

Look at your hood, there might be white powdery stuff from the coolant spraying and drying, that might help track down the leak

but, if you're sure that it is the hose leaking, what kind of a clamp did you use on it -- the screw type clamp, or a tension clamp that requires pliers to put on/take off? The screw clamps can be hit and miss and loosen unexpectedly
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #10
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
Just be careful of anywhere where you have the metal of the radiator meeting the plastic housing -- that's usually where they start to leak

Look at your hood, there might be white powdery stuff from the coolant spraying and drying, that might help track down the leak

but, if you're sure that it is the hose leaking, what kind of a clamp did you use on it -- the screw type clamp, or a tension clamp that requires pliers to put on/take off? The screw clamps can be hit and miss and loosen unexpectedly
I'm pretty sure its where the metal meets the plastic housing is where its leaking, right under the gasket cap hose god damn lol. Would i have to replace the whole thing or are there any other fixes?

& i used a tension clamp. I think its the OEM one, i don't think previous owner changed it ever since but it's snug though.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:06 PM   #11
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,164 Times in 201 Posts
Replace that clamp with an actual hose clamp. I usually toss the old clamps out. I've always had bad luck with reusing oem clamps that you just squeeze to loosen..
Posted via RS Mobile
DiiCii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2014, 11:10 PM   #12
RS controls my life!

aftermarket upper rad hose...my guess is the hose doesn't fit snuggly around the upper rad spout. Especially after seeing that first pic, almost looks swollen. Thats on oem clamp, likely not strong enough. try another hose clamp, the ones you can crank tighter. And move the clamp closer to the end of the spout. (just before the bulge)
Old 01-25-2014, 12:25 AM   #13
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
It is a 2+ person job.

1. Drain the coolant and dispose it properly, leave the bottom radiator drain plug open. Having coolant around just makes things messy and you have to refill anyways.
2. Flush the cooling system (ie while the car is running, put a hose with running water to it, turn up the heat). Keep the water circulating in the system, until the fluid that comes out of the radiator is clear for a while (you would want to catch the first few seconds of the flushing and dispose of it).
3. While the car is running, turn down the hose, then you should be where the leak is.
4. Once you locate the leak, open the radiator plug again to drain the water. Refill with proper coolant with proper procedure.

Hint: If the damage requires removing radiator hoses etc.. Consider changing the thermostat and water pump + related hoses, since you have to go in and do those things anyways.

Make sure your clamp is automotive grade not designed for homes. Automotive ones won't bite into the hose.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #14
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Okay I fixed it! I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier.... Ughh

So what i did was dried down the whole radiator and drove the car for 10 minutes hard. Then i looked at where i thought the leak was and what do ya know, the clamp wasn't on tight enough. So I let the car cool down for about 2 hours went and bought a new clamp and put that bad boy on and what do ya know! It stopped leaking.

Lesson of the day,

Don't forget to bleed the coolant, change the gasket cap, and change the clamps everytime you put on an aftermarket hose onto your radiator. Lesson learned! Thank you all for the help thanks has been given. add me on snapchat i'm king dik