REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #51
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
i'd rather have an investment advisor that can offer me everything vs. bank advisors, which i believe (though could be wrong) are pushed to sell the bank products. agian, i could be wrong and would be more than happy to hear that i am.

my financial advisor is a friend - i trust him, there are controls in place, and i know how to invest and he and i share the same investment strategy, so i'm happy (don't go with a friend b/c they're ur friend)
Advertisement
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:11 AM   #52
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
i'd rather have an investment advisor that can offer me everything vs. bank advisors, which i believe (though could be wrong) are pushed to sell the bank products. agian, i could be wrong and would be more than happy to hear that i am.

my financial advisor is a friend - i trust him, there are controls in place, and i know how to invest and he and i share the same investment strategy, so i'm happy (don't go with a friend b/c they're ur friend)
I wouldn't say bank advisors are pushed to sell products. The system plugs out certain recommended funds/most advisors don't know any better. Vast majority don't trade nor do they understand underlying mechanisms of the market.

Easiest way to tell, sit down and have a conversation with them if you have to see them in the first place.

You're right though, I would rather have an Investment Advisor because they have more and different securities to play with. Same case though, vast majority don't know shit.

Frankly, I would rather have a portfolio manager who can act under discretion. The time lag between an IA contacting a client, asking to confirm the trade, and performing the trade is just too damn annoying.
dasani604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:31 PM   #53

If ur IA is trading, u need a new IA.

If they're trading, they're doing it bc they make commissions on each trade. Any IA worth his weight will also preach diversification with slow and steady approaches - trading is more for a portfolio manager, and in that case I think they don't need permission to do what they do in their portfolio
Old 04-27-2014, 07:19 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
I tend to keep most of my money invested with only $1000 in the bank to cover car and insurance payments. Why let it rot in there? If I need more than $1000, there's the line of credit that I can pay back with the next pay check or by cashing out some holdings.

I used to trade daily and did very well but now with a few business ventures on the side in addition to the full time job, I don't have time to do my market research every evening. Instead, I've been buying up dividend funds. Specifically, PGP, PHK, NCV and NCZ. I don't have to do squat and it brings me a steady monthly payout. PHK at it's current price yields 12% right now, that's 1% per month. Because their dividends are a fixed dollar amount, the principal can go up/down/left/right and I'll still get the same dividends. Reinvest the dividend and your payout the following month will be bigger.

What I do with the dividend every month depends on my mood but I never spend it. Sometimes I reinvest it into the same funds, sometimes I reinvest in a new fund I found, sometimes I buy some gold for insurance and sometimes I'll buy a stock if it's low and I feel like speculating.

As always, don't take my word for it regarding these funds... do your own due diligence before buying.
Do u know what the premium over their nav is? I think at least one of them has a 50% prem! that's pretty risky. I assume u've done this analysis as part of ur dd, but that would scare me especially in the junk investment space
Old 04-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #55
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I am 17, but I think I can help. DO NOT go to any investment advisor, they alwayd tell you to diversfiy, which is stupid. Invest your money into a business your passionate about and follow your dream, life is short. One of my dads friends got a degree in accounting and started a small firm where only he and another employee worked from his house and he raked in $300,000 a year although he is now retired.
Posted via RS Mobile
mr.wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #56
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,171 Times in 2,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wonderful View Post
I am 17, but I think I can help. DO NOT go to any investment advisor, they alwayd tell you to diversfiy, which is stupid. Invest your money into a business your passionate about and follow your dream, life is short. One of my dads friends got a degree in accounting and started a small firm where only he and another employee worked from his house and he raked in $300,000 a year although he is now retired.
Posted via RS Mobile
Lolololol truth. Are you multucartual Jr.?
Posted via RS Mobile
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wonderful View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
no man, starting a business is for old ppl, what you want to do is take your money, buy a bunch of drugs, and sell it.

i know this one guy, he did this, now he's dead.

you're an idiot,
Old 06-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #58
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I would invest in RRSP's or at least stocks. You dont want to be 60 and not have enough
speediandy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-16-2014, 06:36 AM   #59
Rs has made me the man i am today!

RRSP is not an investment, it's an investment vehicle
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote