REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:30 AM   #101
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Isn't an outlet mall suppose to be built OUT OF THE WAY?

All the outlet malls in the Washington, Oregon, and California (well, maybe not Citadel in LA) are all located in low traffic locations.
Advertisement
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #102
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
#BcosRichmondDrivers ?
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:49 AM   #103
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
Quote:

All the outlet malls in the Washington, Oregon, and California (well, maybe not Citadel in LA) are all located in low traffic locations.

The architect for this outlet wants those fashion designers to make a quick buck off the ballers who go the airport.

Convenience trumps transport infrastructure/traffic management in this case.

Talk about how not to build a smarter planet.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:50 AM   #104
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Why am I not surprised that this happens nears Richmond? You get poor transportation planning combined with people looking for a "deal" on designer stuff to cause this mess.
You forgot another important factor: Richmond drivers.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2015, 10:52 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
You forgot another important factor: Richmond drivers.
The owners of this designer outlet really know their buyers demographics well. The Chinese housewives, the C-Lai, driving their Benz, their CLA to the outlet.

-lousy drivers who wear their "fashionable" UV protection visors while trying to get to the outlets safely.

They have the money to buy this stuff but not the driving skill to get to this outlet safely.

The designer outlet's buyer demographic:

Last edited by pastarocket; 07-10-2015 at 10:58 AM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #106
private modder

Thanked 2,612 Times in 733 Posts
I'd go!

If they built an observation platform to watch planes.
Eff-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #107
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
The construction has actually only been about 14 months so far, i'm not counting january and february when the project broke ground and there was like 5 people on site.

It certainly will end up around 2 years by the time all the contractors are off site and deficiencies are completed, but i'd say the 100's of tradespeople you are referring to would have only been there for maybe 12 months of the project. The rest of the time there would be less than 50.

I know a few guys on that project, and they only took the job to stay in town during the summer of 2014, and be able to go home to their families. Otherwise those guys make shit money in town, they would much rather be up north if they could.
You're right on the dates looking back it was tendered August of 2013 and started sometime after that for some reason it seemed longer then that. It was an expensive design, none of the buildings were typical, it was a difficult take-off as well. We didn't end up with the project at the end of the day, the GC was actually from Europe which is just weird I don't know how they can compete with the local guys we didn't even bid them.

Shit money in town is relative, I'm guessing your buddies weren't doing construction for minimum wage in town.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2015, 10:56 AM   #108
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,221 Times in 1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
I'd go!

If they built an observation platform to watch planes.
Will just end up being a c-lai in Lexus/BMW/Mercedes/Audi wearing welding mask spotting platform. Might as well stick a camera on there to count how many fender benders or instances of "unintended acceleration" occur
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:59 AM   #109
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,168 Posts
I don't see the point of outlet in YVR unless they are somehow able to compete with Seattle Outlet price-wise and also the variety of brands.

But again, I don't shop at outlet anymore. It used to be that you could get premium brand's quality/design for cheap. Now they just make crappy design and shitty materials with the brand tag throw on top.

I just wait for major retailers to go on sale. They are usually cheaper than outlet and I get the real deal.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #110

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
I remember people talking about efficient Crown corporations and citing YVR as an example. Well, here's a perfect example of a Crown Corp with sufficient assets (e.g. land) and making the most of those assets to generate revenue. The media is reporting that YVR is getting half of the revenue from Macarthur Glen as part of the lease which is pretty good if you ask me. It's probably why other municipalities, such as Richmond, complained about the project (though Malcolm Brodie was there for the opening ceremony). The mall may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it makes sense on many levels.

TL;DR - people will always find a reason to be negative, even in the face of sound business decisions.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I remember people talking about efficient Crown corporations and citing YVR as an example. Well, here's a perfect example of a Crown Corp with sufficient assets (e.g. land) and making the most of those assets to generate revenue. The media is reporting that YVR is getting half of the revenue from Macarthur Glen as part of the lease which is pretty good if you ask me. It's probably why other municipalities, such as Richmond, complained about the project (though Malcolm Brodie was there for the opening ceremony). The mall may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it makes sense on many levels.

TL;DR - people will always find a reason to be negative, even in the face of sound business decisions.
Good points all around, but I'd add that you have neglected to take the intangible costs into the equation.

The traffic jams impose a cost on everyone involved. The shoppers themselves, the police, travelers trying to get to YVR on time, the workers and courier companies nearby, the air quality from all that extra idling, etc. In this case, YVR is a prime beneficiary of the outlet mall, as is the mall owners. However, a lot of other people are paying for those intangible costs.

I wonder how many people missed their flights yesterday and have to spend extra money on hotels, plane tix, fees, and such...
Old 07-10-2015, 11:18 AM   #112
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Good points all around, but I'd add that you have neglected to take the intangible costs into the equation.

The traffic jams impose a cost on everyone involved. The shoppers themselves, the police, travelers trying to get to YVR on time, the workers and courier companies nearby, the air quality from all that extra idling, etc. In this case, YVR is a prime beneficiary of the outlet mall, as is the mall owners. However, a lot of other people are paying for those intangible costs.

I wonder how many people missed their flights yesterday and have to spend extra money on hotels, plane tix, fees, and such...
That's just a dumb excuse.

Learn to leave earlier than you're suppose to when travelling to the airport during their store hours. Or god forbid, learn to take the skytrain which is not affected by traffic.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-10-2015, 11:19 AM   #113

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
^ Well, when you have a monopoly such as YVR on international travel in Metro Vancouver, those intangible costs are hard to quantify in terms of lost business, public reputation, etc.

Like I said, people whine and complain when an organization makes sound business decisions so it can retain and attract airline carriers. Can you imagine if Translink attempted a similar venture? The venting would never end!

YVR is pretty nimble, so I'm sure they'll work out the logistics quickly, or just wait until the crowds come to a simmer.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
That's just a dumb excuse.

Learn to leave earlier than you're suppose to when travelling to the airport during their store hours. Or god forbid, learn to take the skytrain which is not affected by traffic.
You can't realistically expect everyone to be equipped with all the information they need. For example, how is a foreign traveller supposed to know that it was Grand Opening day yesterday at this outlet mall? Say he is a US traveler, and has budgeted the standard 2 hrs prior for his flight. The traffic jam held him back for a solid 30 min. Then he runs into a little delay / longer line up at border security, and boom, he missed his flight.

Over time, I'm sure things will work out a lot better. And as the glamour of the brand spanking new outlet mall fades, I doubt we'll be seeing the same traffic volume trying to squeeze into that same plot of land at the same time (edit: Oh wait... it'll be traffic chaos all over again during Black Friday and Boxing Day sale...). Still, it remains to be seen what the on-going traffic and customer volume would be like. With its proximity to the airport, I seriously hope it wouldn't result in any traveler delays.

Last edited by Traum; 07-10-2015 at 11:43 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #115
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

As part of the YVR's contract with Premium Outlets, the prices were agreed to match the prices at the Seattle Premium Outlets. I'm not sure if that will happen. The YVR Outlet is also supposed to look nicer as well as they are using an European developer.
wesamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:56 AM   #116
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:

I thought the big draw of this new outlet is accessibility; it's only 2 stations away so travelers can visit this during a layover.

Also, are foreigners (Chinese passport for ex.) able to cross US border easily? Saves on visa costs/paper work/travel time/lack of fluency in English so even if the merchandise here is priced a bit more than Seattle/Tulalip, you bet they'd rather go here than get hassled by the CBSA for not declaring a high-end handbag
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:01 PM   #117
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
The mall was strategically built where it stands.

It has Canada Line access, YVR makes money off unused land, and there really wasn't any other purpose for the land. You can only build so tall with the airplanes landing, and housing is out of the question because of airplane noise.

Do they need to up the road infrastructure? Ofcourse, but YVR probably figures after afew weeks (or summer) traffic will eventually balance out and they can live with what is there.

I can imagine though that UPS will complain as time passes by, as their HQ is near Iona past the outlet mall.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2015, 12:03 PM   #118

As a side note, a distant cousin of mine asked me if I know any fluent Mandarin speaking people with customer service skills who could work during the grand opening of this outlet.

I told him that I would ask around. Then I realized "Shit, I forgot to post this on RS".

Here is his company: KaiZenCreativeGroup Inc.

-hoping that the people that he hired to work for him took the Canada Line to get there.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:44 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
I thought the big draw of this new outlet is accessibility; it's only 2 stations away so travelers can visit this during a layover.

Also, are foreigners (Chinese passport for ex.) able to cross US border easily? Saves on visa costs/paper work/travel time/lack of fluency in English so even if the merchandise here is priced a bit more than Seattle/Tulalip, you bet they'd rather go here than get hassled by the CBSA for not declaring a high-end handbag
Skytrain there is absolute flawless. I agree on that.

Traffic is actually not that bad on the Arthur Liang bridge. Just stay on the left lane. Richmond to YVR though... that was insane.

Also there is a back road that goes to the outlet. But most are not familiar with the roads.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:10 PM   #120
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Hope traffic won't be this bad at end of Oct. Suppose to go on a flight end of Oct and I usually arrive 2 hours beforehand anyways.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:12 PM   #121
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,221 Times in 1,387 Posts
Gf is there right now, says there are not many Chinese folks anymore, mostly brown and flip peeps, guess they weren't too impressed by the selection after going there on opening day?
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:27 PM   #122
I don't get it

Cambodians are sometimes been mistaken as flips.... Just sayin
evlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:27 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
Gf is there right now, says there are not many Chinese folks anymore, mostly brown and flip peeps, guess they weren't too impressed by the selection after going there on opening day?
They already feasted in the first 30 mins.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:38 PM   #124
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

The important question we all have to ask: like any real mall, does it have a portrait studio?
Spoiler!
El Dumbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #125
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
Will just end up being a c-lai in Lexus/BMW/Mercedes/Audi wearing welding mask spotting platform. Might as well stick a camera on there to count how many fender benders or instances of "unintended acceleration" occur
If the platform is wide enough someone will try to park their cars on it or get stuck on the staircase.
fishCak3s is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: