REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 03-31-2015, 07:10 AM   #76
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
hector!!!!

Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2015, 02:26 AM   #77
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Skipped this thread purposely to go in cold.... I loved it :3

Much Feels
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2015, 02:45 AM   #78
10psi aint enough...

Finally here...
Been a long time since nov.30,2013 and online says will be some closure to Paul Walker...

Gonna be some huge onion cuttings in the theatre.
Watched the white supra driving off, and just wanna sob...

RIP Paul Walker...will always be an inspiration...
HondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2015, 07:42 AM   #79
Witness protection

lol i would pay anything to see this...

Helen Mirren wants to star in a 'Fast and Furious' film | EW.com

http://www.etonline.com/movies/16213...uit/index.html
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 04-03-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #80
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

THAT ENDING. FUCK
───────▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
─────▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
───▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
──▐▒▒▒▄▄▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒▌
──▌▒▒▐▄█▀▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▐
─▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▌
─▌▒▀▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▌
─▌▀▐▄█▄█▌▄▒▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▐
▐▒▀▐▀▐▀▒▒▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▐
─▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▌
Jobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #81
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobo View Post
THAT ENDING. FUCK
did you go see it?

i'm reading reviews where they were saying almost the entire theatre was in tears...?
Old 04-03-2015, 11:29 AM   #82
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
did you go see it?

i'm reading reviews where they were saying almost the entire theatre was in tears...?
Yup. Was definitely super emotional to watch. Never would I have thought that a Fast and Furious movie would make me cry. I think it hits us hard since Paul Walker made such a big impact on our generation/community.

RIP Paul Walker

Spoiler!
───────▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
─────▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
───▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
──▐▒▒▒▄▄▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒▌
──▌▒▒▐▄█▀▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▐
─▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▌
─▌▒▀▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▌
─▌▀▐▄█▄█▌▄▒▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▐
▐▒▀▐▀▐▀▒▒▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▐
─▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▌
Jobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:41 PM   #83
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
All the feels of the ending...and some of the vintage Dwayne Johnson moments are awesome. Small, but if you know his past, they were there.
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #84
Witness protection

Old 04-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #85
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
I watched it today and without a doubt there were some ridiculous scenes, but it was highly enjoyable. The whole family theme will hit hard for those with young families, myself included.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:50 PM   #86
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Movie was great, gets your head thinking after the movie
JShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:59 PM   #87
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Watching the stunt crews do their work was always my favourite part of being on set. Just one reason why I'm getting my pyrotechnician license!

Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2015, 08:45 PM   #88
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Watching the stunt crews do their work was always my favourite part of being on set. Just one reason why I'm getting my pyrotechnician license!

you should bring your newfound skills to the next RS meet for a demonstration
Old 04-03-2015, 09:08 PM   #89
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Most ridiculous and amazing movie ever!

The end.. the feels... RIP Paul
Old 04-03-2015, 09:24 PM   #90
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Now I can focus on my long weekend. F7 will be one of the most memorable.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:18 PM   #91
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Saw it at Riverport tonight, recognized a lot of cars in the parking lot so I know some of ya'll did as well.

All I can say is wow, 14 years later, what a trip. I didn't cry, but I definitely felt it.

RIP Paul Walker.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:12 AM   #92
Head Moderator

Wont mince words as that was a fucking terrible movie (I'm sure that's gonna be an unpopular opinion). I've a feeling that their continuity supervisor either fell asleep ten minutes into the whole filming schedule and never woke up, or they didn't even bother hiring one. Simply on a technical level, the film had far too many mistakes. Even on a practical level, a lot of it didn't make sense.

That said, it's an FnF film, so I wasn't expecting a realistic movie. Definitely a leave-your-mind-at-the-door and simply enjoy the moving pictures in front of you. A few of the technical errors did end up pulling me out of my enjoyment but overall it was a decent addition to the franchise. My only real issue with that aspect is that it's definitely veered far off course from it's origins, though I did enjoy a bunch of the nods to the original film (Race Wars, driving under an 18-wheeler, etc).

And I did genuinely appreciate the final few minutes of the film. Nice monologue by Vin Diesel (in Dom-guise) to Paul.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2015, 12:33 AM   #93

Spoiler!

Last edited by Special K; 04-04-2015 at 12:51 AM.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:00 AM   #94

Dem feelz.

No better way to pay tribute to Paul Walker than that last scene.
van19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:26 AM   #95
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Not going to lie, I teared up a bit.

Logically, I know Paul Walker was just an actor in a movie.

But a huge part of me credits the FnF movies (mostly the first 3) with my love affair for cars. I remember being 9 years old and begging my dad to buy the VHS - yes, it was THAT long ago - copy of the first movie. We had to have watched it about 20 times the first week we owned it. To this day I can pretty much recite every single line in the film word-for-word. Growing up, guys like Walker were a huge role model for me. Not only on screen, but because he was a charitable individual who didn't do stupid-ass shit like the celebrities of today (Kim K, Kanye, Lindsay Lohan, Charlie Sheen, etc.) but instead stayed low-key and true to himself. I saw that clip of him where he went to Japan to visit Mine's and test drive an R34 and thinking... damn, this guy actually is Brian O'Connor in real life!

RIP Paul. IMO Universal did a good job with paying tribute to him, I was really worried they'd be insensitive and kill him off but the way they did it was awesome. Especially at the end when the two cars split ways (that song too, DAMN!) was extremely touching to watch. You can see the pain in Vin Diesel's eyes, and you know he isn't just acting at that point. Paul really was his best friend and it shows in their chemistry. Personally, I was crushed when I received the news that Paul died, and doubly crushed when the news came out that he passed away during a charity event... it's times you wonder why a celebrity who actually does something constructive with their fame dies, but many of them live senseless lives of hedonism and worthlessness for 80+ years...

That being said, the movie requires a LOT of "suspension of disbelief". But then again, movies are entertainment, and I personally enjoy movies that don't take themselves super seriously. I pay $15 to be entertained, not to pull out my imaginary fact checker and tick boxes in my head.

Realistically, I'll probably watch Fast 8 if (and when) it ever comes out. But those movies will never be the same without Paul Walker.

P.S: the only way they could have made this movie "better" as a tribute was to have Ja Rule at some point screaming "NOOOOO, MONICAAAA"
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2015, 02:18 AM   #96
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,419 Times in 255 Posts
^ Couldn't have put it better myself.

Watched the movie earlier tonight and goddamn, it definitely did not disappoint in the "no fucking way wtf how is that even happening" aspect. Hobb's one liners definitely deserve a honourable mention.

But those last few minutes hit way too hard. Tears were on the verge of falling out. The combination of the song, the tribute to the OG cars, Dom's words, and the cars splitting up was simply a perfect ending, while heartbreaking at the same time. You can tell it wasn't just a tribute to O'Connor and the family aspect, but a tribute to Paul Walker as a person. I was pretty speechless at the end of the movie and just sat there for a few minutes processing everything and gathering myself. The flashback scenes reminded me of back in early highschool when FnF marathons would air on MuchMusic on friday nights and I'd sit through all of them..oh man the memories. Never thought a FnF movie could make me feel this way. I thought the tribute at the beginning of Fast 6 was good, but this one just slammed everyone in the theatre with the feelz.

On a side note, while I was headed to the theatre, I drove behind a STI with the RIP Paul Walker decal on their rear window. Thought that was a cool little coincidence.
j.f0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2015, 10:27 AM   #97
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Wont mince words as that was a fucking terrible movie (I'm sure that's gonna be an unpopular opinion). I've a feeling that their continuity supervisor either fell asleep ten minutes into the whole filming schedule and never woke up, or they didn't even bother hiring one. Simply on a technical level, the film had far too many mistakes. Even on a practical level, a lot of it didn't make sense.

That said, it's an FnF film, so I wasn't expecting a realistic movie. Definitely a leave-your-mind-at-the-door and simply enjoy the moving pictures in front of you. A few of the technical errors did end up pulling me out of my enjoyment but overall it was a decent addition to the franchise. My only real issue with that aspect is that it's definitely veered far off course from it's origins, though I did enjoy a bunch of the nods to the original film (Race Wars, driving under an 18-wheeler, etc).

And I did genuinely appreciate the final few minutes of the film. Nice monologue by Vin Diesel (in Dom-guise) to Paul.
Lomac being a production guy, and me being a nerd for this sort of stuff, there was one technique in the fight sequences I don't think I have ever seen before. Curious to see if it stuck out to you as much as it did myself.

It happens atleast 3 times in the movie, I believe the first time being when Hobbs first fights statham, the next being when Brian fights the guy inside the bus when it flips on it's side, and the final time when Letty is fighting Rousey in Abu dhabi.

They "roll" the camera, it's a unique effect. If you watch as the fighters get flipped upside down, or as the bus rolls over the camera also does a roll. It sort of freezes the fighters in the frame, but you can tell what's going on. It's pretty cool.

I'd be interested to see how they achieved that. I looked through some of the behind the scenes stuff and didn't notice this mentioned.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #98
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Lomac being a production guy, and me being a nerd for this sort of stuff, there was one technique in the fight sequences I don't think I have ever seen before. Curious to see if it stuck out to you as much as it did myself.

It happens atleast 3 times in the movie, I believe the first time being when Hobbs first fights statham, the next being when Brian fights the guy inside the bus when it flips on it's side, and the final time when Letty is fighting Rousey in Abu dhabi.

They "roll" the camera, it's a unique effect. If you watch as the fighters get flipped upside down, or as the bus rolls over the camera also does a roll. It sort of freezes the fighters in the frame, but you can tell what's going on. It's pretty cool.

I'd be interested to see how they achieved that. I looked through some of the behind the scenes stuff and didn't notice this mentioned.
I forget what the name of that technique is called, but it's a relatively simple process. Typically it's merely a matter of bolting the camera to a wall or piece of furniture that's going to be moving along with the actors. If a couch flips onto it's back, just tack the camera to the top and let it fall with the scene.

Another means of achieving this shot is to use a remote swivel head that can rotate upside down or to use an actual repurposed industrial robotic arm. The former is definitely cheaper but the latter can be programmed to do the exact same shot as many times as you need, at whatever speed you want.

Alternatively they could have been using an extensively modified version of a body harness.

Either way, it's definitely an effective shot.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2015, 11:26 AM   #99
Head Moderator

One thing I want to touch on that I doubt most people will think about is the change of directors from Justin Lin to James Wan. A lot of people were critical of having a director that's done virtually nothing but horror movies suddenly in charge of an action thriller. Merely looking at the way Fast 6 and Furious 7 are visualized, I think it was a good decision to go with Wan. The thing about directing horror movies is that, at least in his case, it tends to be a very visual genre. Therefore a lot of shots have to be thought out well in advance and need to add something to the scene. Lin's visuals were good, yes, but still very generic shots. Wan, on the other hand, seemed to give his Director of Photography more freedom on the creativity aspect (as touched on in Meme405's comments). No, not all of the shots succeeded and some were definitely overused (far too many 360* dolly shots, imo), but overall it added that little extra visual eye candy that was missing from the other movies.

If you still don't quite know what I'm talking about, watch Ron Howard's Rush. The camera work and angles in that movie is probably the best I have ever seen in any movie, especially when it comes to the creativity of many of the angles.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #100
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I thought the movie sucked compared to the previous ones. It started off really well with race wars but then it focused too much on fights, guns and explosions instead of cars, became another typical action genre movie. I thought the military helicopter and the predator drone in the middle of LA was really ridiculous and not in the cool way.

PS the MMA girl can't act lol
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: