REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 30,977 Times in 7,100 Posts
Massive aston martin recall for "counterfeit plastic" parts.

I guess plastic parts are too pricey for a measly 140k car, although its not really astons fault I suppose.
Quote:
DETROIT (Reuters) -- Aston Martin is recalling most of its sports cars built since late 2007 after discovering a Chinese sub-supplier was using counterfeit plastic material in a part supplied to the luxury sports carmaker.

Aston Martin, which is owned by Kuwaiti and private equity investors, is recalling 17,590 cars, including all of its left-hand-drive models built since November 2007 and all right-hand-drive models built since May 2012, affecting about 75 percent of all vehicles built in that period, a spokeswoman said.

The Vanquish is not affected.

Aston Martin found that Shenzhen Kexiang Mould Tool Co. Ltd., a Chinese subcontractor that molds the affected accelerator pedal arms, was using counterfeit plastic material supplied by Synthetic Plastic Raw Material Co. Ltd. of Dongguan, according to documents filed with the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The cars are being recalled from model years 2008 through 2014 because the accelerator pedal arm may break, increasing the risk of a crash, according to the NHTSA documents. The engine would return to idle and the driver would be unable to maintain or increase speed, according to the documents.

22 failed parts

Aston Martin spokeswoman Sarah Calam said there had been no reports of accidents or injuries related to the issue and 22 failed parts had been reported. She said the financial impact to the automaker was small, but did not quantify the total.

The cost of the recall is of great interest because Aston Martin has struggled to fund the development of a range of new vehicles while rivals like Bentley, owned by Volkswagen, and Rolls Royce, owned by BMW, have the ability to draw on the resources of their parent firms.

Aston Martin's owners include Italian private equity fund Investindustrial, Kuwait-based Adeem Investment and Prime Wagon. Germany's Daimler AG also has stake of less than 5 percent in the British automaker.

Of the Aston Martin cars affected in the recall, 7,271 are in Europe and 5,001 in the United States, Calam said. The company sells cars in 41 countries.

The latest recall replaces one announced last May and expanded in October.

Because of the issue, Aston Martin is now being supplied directly by a DuPont distributor.

Both Aston Martin and chemical company DuPont Co. sent people to China to directly supervise the production of all pedal arms, including verifying each bag of DuPont plastic material, Calam said.

Piracy problem

The automaker plans to shift production of the pedal arms from China to the United Kingdom "as soon as possible" in 2014, she said.

Last May, Aston Martin initially recalled 2,832 cars globally to replace the accelerator pedal arm after finding the affected part included material that did not meet specifications, Calam said.

After another arm broke that was not part of that group, the company expanded the recall to 16,825 cars and required the use of material made by DuPont.

When one of the replacement parts broke in December during installation by a U.S. dealer in Connecticut, however, Aston Martin froze the recall and found the counterfeit plastic material was being used in place of the DuPont material, she said.

The recall includes all the cars previously repaired, Calam said. Under the recall, Aston Martin will replace the accelerator pedal assemblies.

The manufacturer of the throttle pedal assembly that included the counterfeit material is Precision Varionic International Limited, according to the NHTSA documents.

The company's quality director, John Penman, did not immediately return calls and messages seeking comment.

It is not the first time DuPont has dealt with piracy in relation to China.

U.S. prosecutors indicted a California businessman in 2011 with stealing DuPont trade secrets in order to sell them to a Chinese company. That trial is ongoing.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...228C2603801E7U
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

You think they would get their parts from europe.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I can imagine them dealing with Dupont, then suddenly chinese company shows them they can do it the same but cheaper.

That greed factor.

Then again im just speculating
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Interesting, I would've assumed the accelerator arms were made of steel or an alloy, not plastic.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,480 Posts
Plastic is light, strong and last's an extremely long time. I can see it. Although i'd expect carbon finer for those prices just because. Ha
Old 02-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3german View Post
I can imagine them dealing with Dupont, then suddenly chinese company shows them they can do it the same but cheaper.

That greed factor.
mutha fcukin this! someone somewhere was shown a cheaper way and dat greed kicked it. where/who that "kink" in the armor is will hopefully be held responsible for the actions that caused this outcome. it's sad that capitalism is the martyr for this behavior.

/*endrant
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:43 AM   #7
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,342 Times in 3,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3german View Post

That greed factor.

Then again im just speculating
Dupont does not make parts they make the plastic. My guess is the manufacture in China was using Dupont plastic then witched to a cheaper plastic without telling Aston Martin.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
-Stare-

Thanked 8,013 Times in 648 Posts
someone is in troubbble
ShadowBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,221 Times in 1,387 Posts
How embarrassing
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,524 Times in 833 Posts
I wonder if this had anything to do with that Aston crash on Westminster Highway about 6 months ago...

Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmx323 View Post
I wonder if this had anything to do with that Aston crash on Westminster Highway about 6 months ago...

Nope. Westminster Hwy being located in Richmond had to do something with it...
boostfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #12
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
LOL fucking sneaky chinks man
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #13
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmx323 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
Nope. Westminster Hwy being located in Richmond had to do something with it...
The cars are being recalled from model years 2008 through 2014 because the accelerator pedal arm may break, increasing the risk of a crash, according to the NHTSA documents. The engine would return to idle and the driver would be unable to maintain or increase speed, according to the documents.

and if the gas pedal was stuck, why not turn off the engine and brake? then again herp a derp
123654123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-07-2014, 12:11 PM   #14
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
slingblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #15
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,524 Times in 833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123654123 View Post

and if the gas pedal was stuck, why not turn off the engine and brake? then again herp a derp
The average motorist has no idea how a car even works, let alone how to react in a situation like that.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #16
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
ok so how many cars out there have Made in China plastic pedals?
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingblade View Post

what?! i'm from the motherland. i know full well the kinda shit us chinamen do to make a quick buck lol
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #18
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
what?! i'm from the motherland. i know full well the kinda shit us chinamen do to make a quick buck lol
Just evaluate the premise of that argument... You are from China, therefore it is excusable to slander a billion people living lives separate of your own...

Are you one of those guys that call people faggots, just to tell them to not be so sensitive afterwards?
slingblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingblade View Post
Just evaluate the premise of that argument... You are from China, therefore it is excusable to slander a billion people living lives separate of your own...

Are you one of those guys that call people faggots, just to tell them to not be so sensitive afterwards?
Calm down there, white knight. Stereotypes exist for a reason, and I'm simply poking fun at the fact that Chinese people love to counterfeit everything we can get our hands on. I'm not going to censor myself for the sake of being politically correct. What's the fun in that?
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #20
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Calm down there, white knight. Stereotypes exist for a reason, and I'm simply poking fun at the fact that Chinese people love to counterfeit everything we can get our hands on. I'm not going to censor myself for the sake of being politically correct. What's the fun in that?
reminds me of that top gear episode on chinese cars haha
123654123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #21
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

ChalieH LOL
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:13 AM   #22
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Talk about unjustified fails. (Though he probably could have been more selective with his words)

I've worked for various companies that import billions and billions of dollars in materials for pipeline and petrochemical plants. My position requires me to be very familiar with documents common in many industries known as "AML" or "Approved MFG List". This document contains all the manufacturers, their specific plant locations, and what products they are approved to supply. It's extremely specific, for pipe it would list approved type/grade/diameter/wall thickness etc.

Now what's interesting is this, all the major pipeline companies have banned Chinese pipe. Too many instances of failures on hydrotest, too many material test reports with missing information, incorrect information, or that can clearly be traced back to measurements taken years before that batch was made etc.

We've had third party labs test materials sourced from China on various occasions and virtually every single time we have observed material properties that do not meet the applicable material standard, and also do not reflect the results obtained in China when they "did their testing...".

That's not to say all of China's MFG sector is crooked and will do anything to make an extra buck, but it's IMO very common to take shortcuts.

We simply issue a memo now which basically states if you see any material test reports that have a Chinese address, quarantine the materials and return them.

I have personally seen Chinese material fail under hydrotest, and on that occasion, we were only about 60% of the SMYS. (Explained in simple terms: we tested to 6000Kpa of pressure and the pipe failed, pipe that "should" be good for 10000Kpa based on the material type/grade specified.)

So why do people buy Chinese pipe? Because it's cheaper, and the distributors here also want to make some extra money :s
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #23
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123654123 View Post

When you turn off the engine, the steering wheel locks (in every car I've driven at least). You would want to put it in neutral until you bring the vehicle to a stop, then shut the engine off.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #24
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Plastic is light, strong and last's an extremely long time. I can see it. Although i'd expect carbon finer for those prices just because. Ha
carbon fiber is a plastic

"The value of life can be measured by how many times the soul has been deeply stirred"- Soichiro Honda
busdriverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #25
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Plastic pedals in an Aston.......Toyota I can understand but an Aston.....come one now that just plain stupid.

Aluminum or carbon.
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote