REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #51
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Keep in mind that aside from onni, amacon and pinnacle are the same ppl. It's the de cotiis family.
Posted via RS Mobile
I haven't heard much about Amacon being similar to the others.
Advertisement
ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #52
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0n View Post
It's priced at a premium because of their track record and brand behind it.

Westbank is the company that developed Fairmont Pacific, Shaw Tower, Woodwards, Telus Garden's to name a few.

With the project on 188 Keefer they are aiming at multiple demographics (affordable and marked priced condos). Hence you'll find the different types of finishes to what the units are for sale.

Someone asked how do you determine quality and craftsmanship...

Really there isn't any way these days if you are buying pre-sale. Your only way is to base it off the fancy and pretty display home, builder/developer's previous track record and what your gut tells you.

FWIW any developer/builder is all the same cause that's how the industry is..
Same shit, wrapped up and presented differently
I am in the real estate industry, and I have friends who are interior designors, architects, foremens, contractors property managers etc.

they are not all the same, it's in the details.

some developers use thin cabinets, dont have high ceilings, thin slab of granite/quartz for countertops, cheap fixtures, trims, etc etc. Some even cheap on sound insulation so you can hear through walls between neighbours.

the good developers have most of the high quality finishings standard, where as poor developers have basic finishing and if you want more, it's all options.

some have poor design layouts and floorplans that are not economical. super small parking stalls and "boxy" architectural design that aims at reducing costs and maximizing space rather than making the building look unique.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #53
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax View Post
I haven't heard much about Amacon being similar to the others.
Quote:
Siblings of the De Cotiis family own Onni Group, Pinnacle International and Amacon.
Looks like they don't all get along either.

Quote:
The targeted murder of 28-year-old Brandon Vito Hughes in North Vancouver last week was preceded by a tense family feud that included an alleged death threat within the De Cotiis clan, who are connected to massive real-estate developments in the Lower Mainland.
Quote:
In the late 1980s, there was a falling out of four De Cotiis brothers, who came to Canada from Italy in the 1950s and over the years built a huge real-estate development business.

Marcangelo and Donato sued Marcangelo's three brothers and eventually settled for about $25 million, said Donato's lawyer, Daniel Barker.
Family feud preceded killing

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 02-23-2014 at 05:45 PM.
bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #54
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
fuck i hate vancouver - what's hilarious is that vancouver really is 'different' than other cities, but not in any positive ways. the Vancouver economy has leveraged itself so heavily towards the chinese that any real slowdown in interest from the chinese will fuck the city over - leverage is great on the way up, but will kill you on the way down

so glad i left the city - it's a joke, and my current city is WAY, WAY more livable (people always say 'we're number one livable city' - i'll be one person to say that it isn't)
You're absolutely right !
"Any real slowdown in interest from the chinese will fuck the city over"

The fed is scrapping the immigrant investor program which I could foresee the high-end RE will see a significant decline. With the current overpriced RE in Vancouver and huge supply of condos / apartment in the market, this news will possibly drive the entire RE to go down

Was reading a 2014 Jan press release from Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver quoted the RE sales show "a 9.9 per cent decline compared to the 1,953 sales in December 2013"

My Buyer / Seller Rating
http://www.revscene.net/forums/60152...o-6-0-0-a.html
Y2K_o__o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #55
I HERP TO YOU DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
I am in the real estate industry, and I have friends who are interior designors, architects, foremens, contractors property managers etc.

they are not all the same, it's in the details.

some developers use thin cabinets, dont have high ceilings, thin slab of granite/quartz for countertops, cheap fixtures, trims, etc etc. Some even cheap on sound insulation so you can hear through walls between neighbours.

the good developers have most of the high quality finishings standard, where as poor developers have basic finishing and if you want more, it's all options.

some have poor design layouts and floorplans that are not economical. super small parking stalls and "boxy" architectural design that aims at reducing costs and maximizing space rather than making the building look unique.
And these "good" developers are?
hypediss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #56
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

that's a hard question to answer. as it's all relative. Cause with higher quality comes higher price, so it becomes a question of, which developers are worth their price?

I difficult to say whose "good" as it's all based on personal tastes as well.

Although based on my experiences, some of the developers I like are Mosaic, Polygon and Cressey.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #57
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
+ 1 on Thind. they are POS and really bad quality. VERY VERY cheap material. they usually specialize in low-rise in fill projects, but have now moved on to high-rises with a tower near Kingsway and slocan? they dont also disclose or share as much information as other developers. Usually this is a bad sign when they cant even answer basic questions.

they specialize in buying and building in less attractive area. one of the poor buildings they have is the low-rise on fraser and king edward. My friend lived there and said it was shiet. They currently have the Metro 1 and Metro 2? projects on grimmer and kingsway and it's in an industrial area. Yet their prices are quite expensive given their low quality and inferior locations.
One of my friends bought into Metro1. When I suggested to her not to...... First time home buyer too. I don't think she even went to see the open house >< yea is cheap (I think is less than 300k in total?) but given the track record and the material and location I would rather pay a bit more and go for something like Met2, Sliver, Moda.... you pay more but the quality and location is a lot better. To make things worse she claims she actually knows someone in the industry who recommended her to buy that place ><
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote