REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

is there a way to pay the full fine without getting the points?

like the title says, was just wondering if anyones ever been able to pay the full fine of their ticket while disputing (the fine) and not get the points for it? I'm asking on here because lots of people keep telling me different things. also if you've lost your license before and you still have tickets being disputed from before you lost it, do you lose your license again after you go to court? or do you just pay the fines and get on with it?

not looking for people to comment about how they think i'm been a bad driver. just looking for information.
Advertisement
ohgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Biggest facepalm ever. If only I can [img] pics in the police forum..
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Points are added to your record if you plead guilty to a driving offence or when a court convicts you of the offense. Basically either way you'll get the points. I'm more interested in how it appears that you have racked up enough points to get suspended twice.. is that what I'm reading? You racked up a bunch of offenses, you had your license taken away as a result of those and now a bunch of additional offenses you committed in that initial timeframe that you had disputed are coming back at you, although you have your license back now? If that's the case then yes if the Supernintendo of Motor Vehicles can take away your license again.

Spoiler!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stop.jpg (61.7 KB, 0 views)
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:17 PM   #4
Need my Daily Fix of RS

i got 2 tickets (illegal u turn, 85 in 70 zone) where i just paid the fines and then 1 more ticket where i was driving my dads car and he didn't tell me he didn't renew the insurance. the no insurance is still in dispute so that's why i was wondering once i go to court for it if i'll lose my license again.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:22 PM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS

read this in another thread which is why i got curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient_510 View Post
Not wholly true.

If you go to Court, the charging officer will meet with you pre-trial to discuss your intent.

In that meeting you may ask the officer to rewrite your ticket to be against you as the registered owner instead of the operator.

This way you pay the fine but receive no points.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #6

Ah okay, I'm assuming you're in the GLP then? From the rash of recent posts in this forum I somewhat assumed that you'd managed to rack up 5+ speeding tickets and a couple of other infractions before the first suspension took place, in which case no, there obviously would be no leniency from the court or LE.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:27 AM   #7
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Unless things have changed recently there are no points attached to the uninsured vehicle...just the $598 fine. A no-insurance charge is pretty easy to prove...either it was or it wasn't. The date & time...to the minute, are written on the registration. The expired ValTag would have been visible on the plate, unless someone had stuck a stolen one over it. If your dad didn't tell you, while he let you use his car, then maybe he would pay the fine....or maybe you could just pay it yourself?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:54 AM   #8
Need my Daily Fix of RS

ehh i'd rather not get into it but let's just say he never checks his mail so he never got the a letter notifying him he should renew. He was driving the car too with no insurance for about a week but it just so happened the one time I drove it I got pulled over
Old 02-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #9

For a no insurance ticket, the onus is on the driver to prove/know that there was valid insurance at the time of the stop, so not a lot of ways to dispute. As you are not the registered owner, there is a strong likelihood that the JJP will not allow an amendment to the ticket for the RO to be charged (that has been my experience where I work, I have heard of some JJPs allowing it). Regardless, no points for no insurance. ICBC | Fines and points for B.C. traffic offences
Posted via RS Mobile
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:29 AM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Can anyone tell me why a points system exists? Is it a cash grab/ cash cow for the government? Or just a deterrent to not break any driving related laws?

From my point of view, tickets in The GVRD should be cheaper relative to minimum wage and cost of living. I'd rather pay $50 for a ticket than $100-$900.
duc_evo_sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc_evo_sp View Post
From my point of view, tickets in The GVRD should be cheaper relative to minimum wage and cost of living. I'd rather pay $50 for a ticket than $100-$900.

Or how about don't break the law, and you don't have to pay any tickets, OR points!...

Spoiler!
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #12
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,664 Times in 334 Posts
Quote:
I'd rather pay $50 for a ticket than $100-$900
o rly

noransx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1freak
[24-01, 14:19] mk1freak lots of bdays this year
Quote:
Originally Posted by kross9
[22-05, 23:37] norans also got a pretty douchey white hipster haircut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE_BOY
[27-10, 22:25] can't spell ice without ie
2014 Chevrolet Volt - Poo brown ft panel gaps - currently at 588mpg
2006 Honda CBR600RR "LaF'Honda" pronounced la-fawn-duh
Noran is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #13
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Can anyone tell me why a points system exists? Is it a cash grab/ cash cow for the government? Or just a deterrent to not break any driving related laws?

On the contrary, I think they should be much more expensive relative to the incomes (and $$ value of cars) of the registered owner/driver. A $167 ticket will likely not significantly deter a driver of a $100,000+ vehicle while the same ticket for a driver in a $500 car will likely make said driver think twice before breaking any laws.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #14
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOiA-R34 View Post
On the contrary, I think they should be much more expensive relative to the incomes (and $$ value of cars) of the registered owner/driver. A $167 ticket will likely not significantly deter a driver of a $100,000+ vehicle while the same ticket for a driver in a $500 car will likely make said driver think twice before breaking any laws.
I don't think that's a valid argument. Classing people because of wealth, social standing, political alignment, and or race or ethnicity is not the best way to applying law.

People who have higher income should pay higher tickets? People with higher income don't pay higher taxes relative to their income. Rich people know every lope hole in the book to find ways to pay very little to no tax.
Your should be complaining about that.

People how are rich, the law doesn't apply and there are many situations where rich people have been let of because of how much money they have or their influence in a city or province. etc

The points system is what I have an issue with. I don't have an issue with following the law but I have an issue with having to pay on top on what I paid for the citation.

Am I making sense?
duc_evo_sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:16 PM   #15
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
I'd rather pay $50 for a ticket than $100-$900.

Your posts just get stupider and stupider...

Quote:
Am I making sense?
Put simply, no...

The point system exists because first time offenders to not deserve $1000+ compared to the tools who have 3 or more tickets.

As much as I hate having to pay the DRP. It works to really drive home the lesson.

People really need to stop complaining about tickets, and start lobbying to have the speed limits revised.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread

Last edited by meme405; 02-19-2014 at 07:22 PM.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #16
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

It boggles my mind how No Insure. in BC is only $598.

Alberta is mandatory court with a potential fine of $2500+
Ontario is a MINIMUM fine of $5,000 and potential of up to $25,000

At $598, that's about 2-3 months insurance. A person could actually wind up ahead if they never insured and got less than 6 tickets/year. And they would never lose their license because there are no points.
Bainne is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2014, 09:41 PM   #17
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
It doesn't matter how much money someone has. If they keep driving like an idiot with no regard for the law, then they will ultimately have their licence suspended. So imo, the rates should stay the same across the board. It would also be a pain in the ass to have the extra step(s) to figure out how much someone makes annually.

And on the topic of disputing whether the car is insured or not. You are not going to win. You cannot claim ignorance. It is your duty to be aware of the condition of the vehicle, which includes whether it is insured. Saying your dad never checks his mail isn't an excuse. Don't blame it on your dad. Save yourself the embarrassment at Traffic court and pay the fine.

Next time insure your own vehicle, or check the val tag/registration of the vehicle you drive before starting it up.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #18
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Oh my god what i would pay to be in that court room as he blames his dad for his ticket...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #19
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Okay Baka, from reading your post. Let's say you got 4 offences of anything that has to deal with points. The first two you paid up from and the last two you disputed because your poor. Now Icbc sends you a suspension notice, which states why you are getting suspended. Which were for the first two offences. Now because your still waiting for the last two offences to clear. If you pay to renew your license after you served your suspension, then go to court and lose. You will then receive another suspension notice for even a longer time period. Remember every time you get your license back it's over $100 dollars. If your rich you can do this. If your poor hold out on getting your license back and wait till the next letter comes in. If your gonna drive like takumi, expect to lose your license over and over. The suspension also gets longer and longer. Don't worry, you'll meet girls on the bus too, and you can tell them the stories of how you used to be a professional street racer.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #20
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
Oh my god what i would pay to be in that court room as he blames his dad for his ticket...
LOL the only thing i'm disputing is to get a shorter fine because i'm a student and have a bunch of things to pay for. You actually think i'd tell the judge about this whole thing about him about not reading his mail? Come on now lol
but after reading about how no insurance tickets are a lot more expensive in other provinces in this thread i'm assuming I won't even get a smaller fine ahah
Old 03-06-2014, 12:47 PM   #21
Need my Daily Fix of RS

USE THOSE BUS TOKENS PARTNER!!
123654123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgee View Post
You actually think i'd tell the judge about this whole thing about him about not reading his mail? Come on now

If telling the whole truth to a judge in a court of law is not in your best interest, odds are good, nay, great that you should probably just pay up and don't make the same mistakes in the future.

That would probably make too much sense.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #23
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgee View Post
LOL the only thing i'm disputing is to get a shorter fine because i'm a student and have a bunch of things to pay for. You actually think i'd tell the judge about this whole thing about him about not reading his mail? Come on now lol
but after reading about how no insurance tickets are a lot more expensive in other provinces in this thread i'm assuming I won't even get a smaller fine ahah
I've been to court many times where they bring down the ticket to the minimum. They can even extend the payment for the offence.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #24
Banned (ABWS)

When the officer issues you the ticket he check marks under two catagories.
Owner, or Driver.

Driver will get you fine + point (if applicable)
Owner will get you fine and 0 points (This only happens if the officer feels to let you off easy / you cry your way out, telling him your job that starts tommorow requires 0 points on your record)
maksimizer is offline   Reply With Quote