REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Good place to install USB port

I am driving a Accord 2007 (Hybrid) V6. I was wondering if where would be a good place to install a usb port into my car for music? Somewhere that's low costing but offers decent work (I'm not saying im looking for dirt cheap and best quality although that would be nice haha). My car has a stereo system (w/ touch screen navi) in it and it just requires installing an adapter to the Navi system (plug it in from the back). I looked on youtube and the process doesn't seem too difficult but I still prefer having someone doing it. How much would labor cost for this generally?

Another option is the replace the entire NAVI system completely. I'm only saying this because the process is pretty much the same as installing a adapter because it requires removing the Navi itself. I am very tired of the old GPS system on the navi. How much does one of those systems costs? I looked around and on ebay its about $500? If am going to buy an adapter (USB/AUX) and a decent tomtom gps, its come to about $300+ anyways which isn't too far away from a new navi system. I may be able to see the old navi for a few bucks too...

Sorry to sound so novice. Besides being able to do my own oil/tranny/brake change, this is my limitations haha. Thanks in advanced!
Advertisement
Deviatorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
the navi in your car is pretty sought after if you do want to part with it I wouldn't mind paying for it.

as for changing the system you can add to the "xm radio" port it wont cost that much you can also change the whole dash to put a double din on the bottom which is quite costly cause you need to change your dash to a non-navi dash.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I had my pioneer gps unit installed at SoundsGood www.soundsgoodauto.com‎ They did great work.

I forgot what their rate for labour is but if you drop by you can check out the gps units on display so you can figure out if you want to keep OEM or upgrade.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
nothing is ever as good as OEM IMO, keep the stock head unit -- and I believe your HVAC controls are integrated into the navi

Soundsgood installed a aux adaptor on my accord back in 2008, still works -- i had the wire routed to the arm rest, and there's a little cubby underneath the armrest to hold your phone/iPod so it works perfect.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #5
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
the navi in your car is pretty sought after if you do want to part with it I wouldn't mind paying for it.

as for changing the system you can add to the "xm radio" port it wont cost that much you can also change the whole dash to put a double din on the bottom which is quite costly cause you need to change your dash to a non-navi dash.
hmmm ok then probably I'll keep the Navi for now lol.

I don't think I wanna go the XM radio route, but I think installing a AUX port or USB port only requires drilling a couple holes which is better than going the non navi route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos_skeeto View Post
I had my pioneer gps unit installed at SoundsGood www.soundsgoodauto.com‎ They did great work.

I forgot what their rate for labour is but if you drop by you can check out the gps units on display so you can figure out if you want to keep OEM or upgrade.
hmm ok. I will definately give that place a call. Seems like going the USB/AUX route seems like the best option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
nothing is ever as good as OEM IMO, keep the stock head unit -- and I believe your HVAC controls are integrated into the navi

Soundsgood installed a aux adaptor on my accord back in 2008, still works -- i had the wire routed to the arm rest, and there's a little cubby underneath the armrest to hold your phone/iPod so it works perfect.
yea HVAC is integrated into NAVI. Ok yea I will keep stock then. It was just speculation about switching to a aftermarket navi. Yea I rewiring it to the armrest seems like the best and coolest option to go. Gonna give that place a call for sure.

I just don't understand why Honda didn't go the extra step to install the AUX port. I understand why they didnt for the usb but for the aux... heck it even has that button on the navi system....

thanks for the replies. but does anyone have a good recommendation as to which aux/usb adapter brand is good to look into?
Old 02-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
Media Officer / MOD

the "xm radio" or "aux" is a port in the back of the radio. All it requires is the right hookup, I have a hookup of RCA to the deck. There's usb ones out there and its quite simple to do

There's a lot of good diy on v6performance.net, take a read.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Don't mean to thread jack! If its related to Soundsgood, I want to know what's the flat rate at the Burnaby Dawson location. I have a 01 Legacy in which I want to have my sub installed w/ my amp hooked up. (All I need extra is the wire set).
JAYWALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
the "xm radio" or "aux" is a port in the back of the radio. All it requires is the right hookup, I have a hookup of RCA to the deck. There's usb ones out there and its quite simple to do

There's a lot of good diy on v6performance.net, take a read.
Ok I'll take a look. But just wondering there SHOULD be a free port open to connect the adapter correct? Specifically this port (1st one in that pdf). Or does it depend on whether if I have XM satellite option or not? Because AUX is analog right? So port could be different?
Old 02-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar ex seven View Post
Don't mean to thread jack! If its related to Soundsgood, I want to know what's the flat rate at the Burnaby Dawson location. I have a 01 Legacy in which I want to have my sub installed w/ my amp hooked up. (All I need extra is the wire set).
why don't you give them a call. I just did and they said labor is about 142.50 for 1.5 hours.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviatorz View Post
Ok I'll take a look. But just wondering there SHOULD be a free port open to connect the adapter correct? Specifically this port (1st one in that pdf). Or does it depend on whether if I have XM satellite option or not? Because AUX is analog right? So port could be different?
there's no analog aux in the port looks like the pdf one
Old 02-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #11
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
there's no analog aux in the port looks like the pdf one
ok. hopefully theres a free port... do you have any brand recommendations for adapters? I looked into Grom, not sure if there are others where I can buy in Vancouver
Old 02-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #12
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviatorz View Post
ok. hopefully theres a free port... do you have any brand recommendations for adapters? I looked into Grom, not sure if there are others where I can buy in Vancouver
there should be simply because there was dealer options such as xm, cassette add-on. As for brands not really, I've went with changing the bottom of my dash so it fits a double din.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #13
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
there should be simply because there was dealer options such as xm, cassette add-on. As for brands not really, I've went with changing the bottom of my dash so it fits a double din.

that looks pretty awesome. unfortunately i have my navi dvd drive there so i cant do double din...
Old 02-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #14
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:

"Doncha wish your girlfriend has hot like me"

Heh me love Nicole long time

Don't think there's any easy option for OP if he has navi, replacing might be the most expensive option. You would likely need to lose the Nav drive on the bottom and replace with an aftermarket double din or just do a Grom Audio unit. Grom piece will probably run about $300> plus install.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote