REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 02-22-2014, 10:29 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
Divorce - BC Law

Ok looks like I'm heading down this road and before anyone says "sorry to hear"...please don't..this is what we both want.

So there is no pre-nup.

What are our rights for :

Property division? Is it really 50-50?

I don't have a problem with 50-50 but 'she' does and threatens to hire the best lawyer in town to fight it. I have done nothing wrong in terms of adultery, abuse, no drugs and no alcoholic episodes.

Married since 2008, we have a home that I have been paying the mortgage and all associated utility bills since day 1.

I really don't see how a "big money" lawyer can convince the judge to give me less.

Anyone relate or can provide input?

Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:33 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
to my knowledge, if the divorce is mutual, 50/50 is the most common split, but however, terms can be set between the partners if they both agree to them.

the biggest asset right now is your property by your post. who is the titled owner of the property?

i think by her hiring a lawyer, is if she is trying to fight for a bigger split.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:13 AM   #3

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
^^

Both our names are on title. And yes she wants a
bigger split but there are no grounds. Maybe financial hardship I don't know
but she is employed full time at a govt position.
Posted via RS Mobile
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:17 AM   #4
Banned By Establishment

I think as a guys, we don't think that we need a pre-nup for the reason that we love of spouse and see the marriage going "till death do us part."

But some women these days think that but they also think that I get half his shit and then some because I am the women. And the courts are and will always be biased towards women in divorces.

They are put over top when they paint themselves as the victim in the marriage to gain sympathy from the judge and courts.

But that's just my point of view. I would say she will get 50% of the assets and more on top.
duc_evo_sp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2014, 12:26 AM   #5
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
The Family Law Act says that each spouse is entitled to an undivided, one half interest of all family property. That law was just passed last year and the whole point was to reduce judicial discretion and make it easier for people to settle their divorces outside of court. If what OP says is true then it will be difficult for his spouse to get more than one half.

But as always, if you are worried then talk to an actual lawyer!
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:27 AM   #6
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
life insurance policy
gun
????
profit.

*this song fades in on a record player in the background, slow camera pan away from bloody scene*
Song below:
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-23-2014, 12:34 AM   #7
Banned By Establishment

OP should consult a lawyer, I think his wife is going to pull the "victim card."
duc_evo_sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:04 AM   #8
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Definitely talk to a lawyer.

The only things I can think of that might be factors in whether one gets more or less than 50%, are if children are involved and pre-marital assets.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #9
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
get a lawyer ASAP. there are huge benefits on who files first.

it protects you and in case the deal wasn't clean, whoever files first gets to plea their case first and it gives you a huge benefit JUST in case it gets ugly.

2) always disclose what you have. you thinkyou can cheat ur wife by hiding some of ur funds somewhere off shore etc ... don't even think about it.

3) always always always be clear with your lawyer. he is ur friend, the more you hide from him, it WILL bite you in the end
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #10

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,127 Posts
My understanding of the current law is this:

- Property acquired before the marriage: both you and your soon-to-be ex-wife get to keep what you acquired before the marriage
- Property you acquired during the marriage: split 50-50
- Income from assets during the marriage: split 50-50
- Pensions or retirement income: both parties are put in a place where pensions/retirement income will be split 50-50. She is a public servant, so depending on your respective incomes, you may be entitled to a share of her future pension. If you think she will try to fight for more than 50-50, then you could reasonably argue that her pension would be a set-off.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
If she persists the only one who is going to win are the lawyers. Doesn't look like you have any choice if she pushes the issue, sounds like a complete bitch.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
I STILL don't get it

K. Who makes majority income this plays a factor as if she's a "stay at home wife" they're are ways for her to get more money.
Get a lawyer to help you... Unless it mutual but even then she has one year to rebuttal. Get professional help at least for info.
Posted via RS Mobile
outlaw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #13
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
My understanding of the current law is this:

- Property acquired before the marriage: both you and your soon-to-be ex-wife get to keep what you acquired before the marriage
- Property you acquired during the marriage: split 50-50
- Income from assets during the marriage: split 50-50
- Pensions or retirement income: both parties are put in a place where pensions/retirement income will be split 50-50. She is a public servant, so depending on your respective incomes, you may be entitled to a share of her future pension. If you think she will try to fight for more than 50-50, then you could reasonably argue that her pension would be a set-off.
I think this is more or less right. I asked a friend who took family law what she thought and basically the presumption of the Family Law Act is 50:50 and it is very difficult to rebut that presumption if there is no contract or the OP willingly gives her more.

Judges may not want to mess around with property rights but the OP's spouse may argue for spousal support, for at least a period of time afterwards, based on, among others, financial disparity and a lower quality of life after the divorce.

This is coming from law students and not actual lawyers so take that it with a grain of salt. Family law tends to be very fact specific too. Again, the best advice anyone on RS can give is to get an actual lawyer.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:07 PM   #14
Banned (ABWS)

and this is why people should not get married
maksimizer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #15
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
If she persists the only one who is going to win are the lawyers. Doesn't look like you have any choice if she pushes the issue, sounds like a complete bitch.
This could work to the OP's advantage since Asian mentality would dictate that money spent out of pocket, for a lawyer, with the possibility of little to no return, may not be worth it.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #16
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
and this is why people should not get married
If you never take risks in life then you aren't living at all. Somethings just don't work out in life but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

If you've never made a mistake then you've never learn anything.
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #17
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
it might be a good time to dig up all and if any paper records that you have in regards to bill payments and mortgage payments to prove that it was all done by you. definitely get a lawyer asap and give him full details. the earlier the better.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #18
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Delete Facebook.
Hit the gym.

Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #19
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
get a lawyer ASAP. there are huge benefits on who files first.

it protects you and in case the deal wasn't clean, whoever files first gets to plea their case first and it gives you a huge benefit JUST in case it gets ugly.

2) always disclose what you have. you thinkyou can cheat ur wife by hiding some of ur funds somewhere off shore etc ... don't even think about it.

3) always always always be clear with your lawyer. he is ur friend, the more you hide from him, it WILL bite you in the end
this this this this

my dad got screwed so bad on no grounds and lies.

what theyre saying about courts being biased towards women is still very much true.. canadas all about "protecting women and children"
digitalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #20
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I just want to share some insights with you guys

My past supervisor was married for almost 12 years, with 3 kids, youngest at 3. The mom stayed home 24/7, the dad worked 10 hour days x 6 days.

Anyways, the divorced because she admitted to him that she was cheating. After all said and done, he was out 250k just to kept her from taking the house, and now paying almost 2.5k a month for child support.

Shitty deal even if the other partner has done nothing wrong.

Hope it works out for you, best of luck
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #21
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubl3_H View Post

My past supervisor was married for almost 12 years, with 3 kids, youngest at 3. The mom stayed home 24/7, the dad worked 10 hour days x 6 days.

Anyways, the divorced because she admitted to him that she was cheating. After all said and done, he was out 250k just to kept her from taking the house, and now paying almost 2.5k a month for child support.

What would happen if your supervisor say fuck it quit his job and becomes a bum who relys on EI?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #22
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
Quote:

lol was bout to post smthn similar. lived with uncle/aunt. she ended up cheating on him they divorced and she took half his shit. still has to pay her for the little one even tho now shes married to the guy.

needless to say that went to show how fail this system is

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:27 PM   #23
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
good post on the FB part. you are NO LONGER friends to their family members. DO NOT over share on anything and you MUST delete everything.

I don't care if you had a bday party and you had 1 picture of you doing a shot off ur friends's chest, BAM, that's pic and evidence on how you're addicted to alcohol or whatever story it'll get painted.

1) whoever paints the story first gets first DIPS on who you want to portray. You want to look like a hero, great. if you want to make your wife look like a retard, good. If your wife goes first... BAM, all you are left to do is defend defend defend.

2) i don't care what she says "oh, it's best to leave lawyers out of the way". BAM, second last day, you are left with nothing cause she lawyered up.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #24

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:

Something people seem to forget is that we have "no-fault" divorce laws in Canada. If one partner cheats, it's irrelevant to how the assets are distributed. Your supervisor "lost" because his ex-wife was a stay at home mom who made no income of her own. The purpose of a divorce settlement is to make both parties roughly equal financially following their divorce.

I will go on a tangent, but the fact that many exes lost their shirts in divorces over the last 30 years explains why marriage is largely becoming confined to the upper-middle class. Marriage is really an economic union, a way to preserve wealth. If you want to mitigate the risks, marry someone with just as much to lose as you do.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #25
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Something people seem to forget is that we have "no-fault" divorce laws in Canada. If one partner cheats, it's irrelevant to how the assets are distributed. Your supervisor "lost" because his ex-wife was a stay at home mom who made no income of her own. The purpose of a divorce settlement is to make both parties roughly equal financially following their divorce.

I will go on a tangent, but the fact that many exes lost their shirts in divorces over the last 30 years explains why marriage is largely becoming confined to the upper-middle class. Marriage is really an economic union, a way to preserve wealth. If you want to mitigate the risks, marry someone with just as much to lose as you do.
Posted via RS Mobile
What if you say fuck it quit your job and be a bum?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote