REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
Koenigsegg One

P1?

The Hennessey Venom GT just hit 270 MPH on a runway. The Koenigsegg One:1 thinks that's cute. And that's because it should be able to hit 280 MPH. Oh, and it can go around corners like mad. Welcome to the new king. This is our behind the scenes look at the world's new mega car.

Koenigsegg's current offerings, the Agera R and Agera S, are not what you'd call tame, boring, cars. They make upwards of 1,000 horsepower and are light weight. In other words, they are a handful. But a few years ago, Christian heard rumors of what was coming from Porsche, Ferrari, and McLaren. He wanted to be prepared with something that could take them on. He went overboard. The One:1 is one of the most obscene and amazing supercars that will ever exist. This is our exclusive look at everything you need to know.

The Engine

The One:1 has 1,360 horsepower at 7,500 RPM (8,250 redline) and 1,000 NM (737 lb ft) of torque from 3,000 until 7,500 RPM from a revised version of Koenigsegg's 5.0 liter turbocharged V8. That's nuts. Christian says they like to call the One:1 the world's first "mega car." Not because it doesn't fit a class, but because 1,360 horsepower equals one megawatt. It could make more power with more boost, but they wanted to achieve a balance that equaled more drivability and response. Christians goal was an engine that came on full song around 2,500 RPM, a higher boost turbo would have delayed that until 4,000 RPM. The torque curve on the One:1 is simply amazing. It isn't totally flat, but it's as close as makes no difference.
That was unacceptable. It also uses a new variable geometry turbocharger with something you don't hear everyday: The internals are 3D printed. That helped them achieve the shape they wanted as well as kept the weight down.
In addition to the internals of the turbocharger, 3D printing is used on the exhaust tip.

In fact, this exhaust tip is the largest piece of 3D printed titanium every built. And it takes three whole days to produce. That would be amazingly inefficient for a mass produced car, but it actually works in favor of a bespoke maker like Koenigsegg. Instead of dealing with costly suppliers that are too complex to get just six pieces from, 3D printing lets them control their workflow. It's smart.

The Monocoque

While it looks exactly like the monocoque that is in the Agera, the One:1 uses an entirely new weave of carbon fiber that could be up to 40 percent lighter than the weave used in the Agera. In fact, this new generation of carbon fiber is the same that you see on new F1 cars. It's amazing how little everything weighs.

The Aerodynamics

Here's where Koenigsegg is entering uncharted waters. For the first time, the small company out of Angelholm is using active aerodynamics. And, like Koenigsegg is wont to do, it's nothing like the active aero you've seen elsewhere.
On the underside of the front end, cut outs are added to the carbon fiber to weaken it. Then there are hydraulic actuators which are actually used to bend the carbon fiber and direct the air through the body and out through the hood. It is one trick set up. When the car is in top speed mode, the flaps are closed to reduce downforce and make it as slippery as possible.
You might also notice the obscene front splitter and flicks to help produce downforce. The One:1 maintains a lift system to help get over speed bumps, and Christian is adamant that since it has such short overhangs, the clearance isn't impacted.
Along the side, all the panels have been sculpted to help direct airflow. In the doors, the flow to the engine has been improved 40 percent, and they were already gulping down massive doses of oxygen.
Out back is the world's first top mounted movable wing on a road car. The inspiration is taken from Le Mans racers and the goal is to increase the efficiency of the underside of the wing.
Under braking, instead of stalling the wing and removing downforce, the wing folds to increase downforce to the rear which then also increases the ability of the rear brakes. It's a win/win/win.
This is also Koenigsegg's first ever car with a fixed roof. Well, what I mean is that it's bolted in and has a scoop over it, but it can be removed with a little work.

The Weight Savings

Here's where Koenigsegg went batshit nuts. Everything is carbon fiber. I mean everything. The seats, the wheels, the body, the monocoque safety cell, even the sun visors are carbon fiber, which Christian says saved them about 100 grams each. The point is, that might not sound like much, but every little bit counts here.
That's how the One:1 weighs 1,360 kilograms. And that's not dry weight. It's with a half tank of gas and all other fluids full. An amazing achievement.
Here's a great example: When I saw the car, it was running conventional springs in the suspension. But then Christian showed us something: A mold for carbon fiber springs that they had just gotten. The plan is to use those to lose another 3 kg off the weight. We're talking a fanatical, Colin Chapman level of dedication to weight loss.

The Tech

Koenigsegg has equipped the One:1 with an active suspension with variable ride height. There is a paddle shift seven speed transmission that is ludicrously fast. But the part that amazed me the most was the way this car is being developed for tracks.
See, the One:1 was designed based on customer requests for an insane track car that could also be run on the road. Koenigsegg is doing this by having the suspension, GPS, and a cell phone app all work together. This is a connected car, but in a very different way from a Google car.
See, Koenigsegg will be traveling with the development car to a number of race tracks and setting it up to conquer them. But how they'll be doing it precisely is with GPS. In order to have an optimal setup for each corner, engineers will adjust the car for sections of a track which they will then log into the GPS. When the car reaches those coordinates again, it'll automatically adjust. One:1 also uses the cell phone as kind of a data logger. So instead of staring at a G-meter on track and crashing, it logs the data and sends it to the One:1 app on your phone. That way you have everything after your run.

The One:1 will debut in the flesh on March 3rd at the Geneva Motor Show. Just six cars (plus the development prototype) will be built, and all are sold. The price difference to the Agera is about a 30 percent delta, which makes this one of the most expensive cars in the world.

Before I went to see Koenigsegg myself, I was a skeptic. I thought of them as a kit car company that wouldn't really be able to build something that competes with the big guys. I was more wrong than I've ever been. This is a real automaker, and if the One:1 is as powerful and fast as they say, then it'll also be one of the most disruptive the hyper competitive super car market has ever seen.

[Source: Jalopnik]
Advertisement

Last edited by boostfever; 02-28-2014 at 07:23 PM.
boostfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #2

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
That is gorgeous.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

jsran is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,066 Times in 548 Posts
vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2014, 12:04 AM   #5
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
3D printed titanium parts.

Fuck. I want that.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2014, 12:45 AM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Wowwwwww
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:58 AM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
how much $ ?
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:03 AM   #8

On a serious note, I still don't think this thing can beat the GT-R

Just as a reference...

Nurburgring Laptime:
Nissan GT-R Nismo 7:08.68
Koenigsegg CCX 7:33.55
Koenigsegg CCR 7:34.00
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-01-2014, 01:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
P1?
I think McLaren P1 is lightyears ahead in terms of technology, concept, engineering and heritage.

McLaren P1 has a hybrid system, which is future of supercars, crazy fast on the track, Bruce McLaren, Gordon Murray, Aryton Senna...all the automotive legends have been involved in this company as well.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:43 AM   #10

it is the future, true, but as is utilized in supercars this current hybrid system is not very beneficial. It has years to develop and grow.

What I like about the One is the fact that it doesn't have any of the fancy crap other supercars are obliged to carry on. it's a pure mechanical lightweight supercar with an insane chassis, suspension setup and a powerful power plant.

And Gordon Murray worked on the F1, not P1. As far as I know he's not very fond of the P1 and the general direction Mac is following with their supercars.

not to mention this looks worlds better than the P1...
Old 03-01-2014, 06:52 AM   #11
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
daaang!

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #12

Quote:
What I like about the One is the fact that it doesn't have any of the fancy crap other supercars are obliged to carry on. it's a pure mechanical lightweight supercar with an insane chassis, suspension setup and a powerful power plant.
What are you talking about? This thing may not have a hybrid system, but it's loaded with electronic devices.

It's not like a Caterham 7, Lotus or Radical.

This is more like Zonda F.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #13
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I love how the new wave of cars coming out recently are finally exciting! All the manufactures are going crazier and crazier to exceed one another.

Loving the looks on this thing. Reminding me of cars you see in anime
jaemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #14
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
bullshit...why limit the produced amount? this is what should be killing exotic automakers but i guess the mark-up may be astronomical for "Exclusive" like if the car is made with gold
Old 03-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
What are you talking about? This thing may not have a hybrid system, but it's loaded with electronic devices.

It's not like a Caterham 7, Lotus or Radical.

This is more like Zonda F.

looking at that engine bay may give you an slight idea what I was about.
obviously I meant batteries, electric motor, generator and such. A supercar with 1300 bhp would certainly need electronic devices to help put the power down properly.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #16
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
If you watch the P1 video, he clearly states it's a street car. Not a full out race car. This to me looks like a race car, with some street tires. Neat car nonetheless. I can't imagine 1300hp!!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #17
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

wow
Old 03-02-2014, 12:13 AM   #18
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
If I had only created Whatsapp...
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-02-2014, 03:47 AM   #19

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
^ or works there.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
bullshit...why limit the produced amount?
exclusivity obviously
Old 03-02-2014, 04:00 AM   #21

Quote:
looking at that engine bay may give you an slight idea what I was about.
obviously I meant batteries, electric motor, generator and such. A supercar with 1300 bhp would certainly need electronic devices to help put the power down properly.
If you're looking for that kinda car, it existed 21 years ago, which i'm sure is faster around on the track.

1993 Porsche Dauer 962

Old 03-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #22
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #23
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Daymn....

but in all honesty, sorta hate the look of those rims
[02-07, 18:27] Jasonturbo: Fuckin RS, full of broke ass surrians, you guys are such downers

[07-07, 23:21] Inaii: I had some really shitty chinese tires on my fb... thing squealed like a chick getting fucked up the ass for the first time every time

[10-01, 23:38] jinxcrusader: should've stuck with stubbz in the back
Mr.Stubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #24

are carbon fiber rims better than magnesium?

because I think all race cars are using magnesium...even F1.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #25
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Ya I wasn't too sure about that either timps.

Only thing I can think about is F1 cars are wheel to wheel at times so maybe it has to do with the rims being in constant contact

Haven't the slightest clue.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote