REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Anyone here a longshore man (https://www.revscene.net/forums/693256-anyone-here-longshore-man.html)

dee242 03-04-2014 01:26 AM

Anyone here a longshore man

Im looking to get in but there not hiring, any of you guys willing to help?

Hot Karl 03-04-2014 04:48 AM

you have alot to learn about the docks if you think this is how you get a job there.

if you want money, get a trade and work out of town.

hal0g0dv2 03-04-2014 07:17 AM

took my buddie 10 years to finnaly get full time. Rs probably not the best place for help for this topic
Posted via RS Mobile

LC21 03-04-2014 08:30 AM

Docks go by senority, good luck trying to find work.
Posted via RS Mobile

Mike Oxbig 03-04-2014 08:58 AM

Are you white? It's very very difficult since its a white mans world in there and most hiring is through connections. It goes by seniority.

You most likely not gonna get the longshore man job unless u wait 10 years... those ppl does jack and just sit in their cars all day and get paid.

Do you just want to get inside to work?

xpl0sive 03-04-2014 09:26 AM

try vancouvermustangs.com might have better luck on there.... LOL

trancehead 03-04-2014 10:29 AM

LOL

Vansterdam 03-04-2014 10:40 AM

if anyone can hook me up there please let me know :fullofwin:

srs

dee242 03-04-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Earl (Post 8428150)
Are you white? It's very very difficult since its a white mans world in there and most hiring is through connections. It goes by seniority.

You most likely not gonna get the longshore man job unless u wait 10 years... those ppl does jack and just sit in their cars all day and get paid.

Do you just want to get inside to work?

yeah i just want to work

meme405 03-04-2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dee242 (Post 8428659)
yeah i just want to work

Look the point has been made, you are not going to get hired at the docks by posting a thread on a local automotive forum...

Go get a job and get a trade ticket. Or go work as a crane operator up at mac, or up north somewhere. They want people with experience...

This isn't the 1940's when you can go stand by a gate, and they come and pick new labourers every morning...

MarkyMark 03-04-2014 07:28 PM

I have a buddy who works there and like said above, it took him about 10 years to get on full time, and it'll till be a year or two before he's a full on member. The money sounds amazing though, if you're willing to work nights or graveyards.

falcon 03-04-2014 07:29 PM

Yo man I work there, I can get you started ASAP. Full union benefits, no wait. PM me,.. my fee is $500 to get you in. Please send money to paypal "areyouserious@youdumbass.com"

Show up for work early Monday morning at the docks, I'll be the guy not there, sleeping in my bed.

yray 03-04-2014 08:05 PM

^email and funds sent :fuckyea: 48$ job here i come

dee242 03-04-2014 08:31 PM

wasnt looking for someone to hook me up was just wondering how you would even go about getting this job

Harvey Specter 03-04-2014 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dee242 (Post 8428797)
wasnt looking for someone to hook me up was just wondering how you would even go about getting this job

You need to know people or wait for another public hiring, last time was a few years back because I know a few guys who got lucky and got jobs.

rriggi 03-04-2014 11:26 PM

lol one of my fathers friends is a crane operator, income is insane considering what he does.....

I can't imagine what would happen if the dock workers ever decided to strike:suspicious:

Lomac 03-04-2014 11:59 PM

I've got a few friends who work at the various docks (surprisingly, one of 'em is a girl lol). It's damn hard to get in and the only reason why most of 'em managed to get hired is because they had an in with either a family member or close friend who works/worked there. That said, if you can finally get in, if you put the hours in, you can get some fantastic paycheques. Provided you can get in...

zilley 03-05-2014 12:53 AM

buddy got in because of his dad that has worked there for decades, and even then only 1 of the son got in, theres 2 others that are still waiting.

4444 03-05-2014 07:00 AM

I know nothing about this world, but let me ask some qu's:

what are the barriers to entry? it is unions?

What strikes me is that there is a huge barrier to entry (likely not education, i appreciate you probably need a 2 year trade/some apprenticeship, in this day an age that's the norm, so not a barrier to entry), yet pay is high, and there's huge demand (likely because of the relatively high pay.

Why is this not a market based system, where because demand hugely outstrips supply pay should go down to equate the two - I assume this is union related.

Total BS (and no, i'm not saying this b/c i want to work in that field, i'm as white collar as they come, you really couldn't pay me enough to work with inbred mustang driving hicks (and yes, I've owned a mustang and am Caucasian))

MarkyMark 03-05-2014 07:40 AM

I don't believe any education is required, and yeah it's union so that's why the pay is so high.

It's give and take imo. Yeah you're making awesome money but only if you work nights or graveyard. I think the pay is something like $30 something an hour on days, $40+ on afternoons and $50+ on graveyards.

My buddy only works graveyard, said he made almost 110k last year. He also barely gets any sleep and looks like he's in his mid 30's at 28.
Posted via RS Mobile

stewie 03-05-2014 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8428931)
I've got a few friends who work at the various docks (surprisingly, one of 'em is a girl lol). It's damn hard to get in and the only reason why most of 'em managed to get hired is because they had an in with either a family member or close friend who works/worked there. That said, if you can finally get in, if you put the hours in, you can get some fantastic paycheques. Provided you can get in...

Everyone I know who got in has an uncle or father who works there.

Guy I know got in because his dad's a foreman, and even after a year + being there, without him having a trade he gets maybe 1-2 shifts a week at tops.

I'd love to work there, but unless I'm getting enough shifts to cover my bills, not worth it. If I was 18 again I'd be applying non stop, but the older I get the less appealing longshore becomes. Who wants to be 25-45 and only getting 1-2 shifts a week (if your lucky). To me it seems like one of those get in when your young and living with your parents...or struggle with bills for a few years until you can get a few shifts more a week
Posted via RS Mobile

MG1 03-05-2014 09:55 AM

Probably not anywhere like it used to be working as a longshoreman, but prerequisite course was, azzhole 101.

Dickwad 101 and shitface 200 level courses were optional.

I'm sure things have changed a bit.

Hey, maybe I should apply, LOLOLOLOLOLOL

DC5-S 03-05-2014 10:09 AM

Get into a trade and work in alberta. You won't have to bust your ass and you'll get paid more
Posted via RS Mobile

Mike Oxbig 03-05-2014 10:12 AM

Who wants to live in Alberta? Especially Edmonton. :fuckthatshit:

DC5-S 03-05-2014 10:13 AM

When you work in a camp you don't have too ;)
Posted via RS Mobile