REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #51
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
^^ Also, the very definition of rush hour seems to have extended both ways to start earlier and end later. Various (major) intersections on Royal are also frequently clogged up as drivers seem to have no idea that they shouldn't proceed into an intersection unless they know there is room for them up ahead (so that they won't be stuck blocking the whole intersection up if nothing moves ahead). But all too frequently, this happens with both regular car drivers and truckers...
Yup Royal Ave. is just awful anywhere near rush hour.

McBride is also pretty bad, but nowhere near as bad which is saying something. Lineups almost always to at least 8th Ave. Throw in an accident? Make that lineup all the way up to 10th Ave. and along it (both directions). The worst I've seen was a lineup along 10th Ave. westbound all the way until Cariboo Rd. Given that, I can't imagine what Royal Ave. looks like as I always drive by the congestion from seemingly all directions.
Advertisement
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:33 PM   #52
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I think they should just ban freight trucks on Pattulo bridge.
At least half of the traffic are those kind of trucks and they move ever so slow!

Also, If they really want toll it, they can charge people during busy hours.. Leave it free 10pm - 6am Please!
LightKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-12-2014, 01:25 PM   #53
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
L O L

Tear the Pattullo Bridge down and let them travel another 20 kilometres, say Burnaby councillors

Some Burnaby councillors say it's better to tear down the Pattullo Bridge and not replace it, rather than build a new, tolled four-lane crossing.

That was among the councillors' reactions to New Westminster Coun. Bill Harper's presentation on his city's proposal to replace the Pattullo with a new tolled, four-lane bridge at the Burnaby council meeting on Monday night.

New Westminster is starting a tour across the Lower Mainland to present its position on a replacement bridge, and its first stop was Burnaby council in an effort to rally support for its vision.

"New Westminster already had significant traffic challenges due to our location at the centre of the region and this traffic is already affecting the livability and economic viability of the city, and indeed the region," he said to council. "Adding the Pattullo as a free alternative only exacerbated the negative impacts on our residents and businesses. And I'm sure that's the case in Burnaby, as well, since a good sizeable portion of the traffic comes across the Pattullo Bridge and runs through your main connectors."

Harper said a new, tolled four-lane bridge is best and that his city believes a direct connection needs to link the South Fraser Perimeter Road with the Port Mann Bridge. New West also supports the reallocation of capital cost savings from the tolls into other rapid transit objectives, such as Surrey's LRT proposal.

"The provincial government recently announced that they were prepared to pay a certain amount of money for the reconstruction of the Pattullo Bridge," he said. "What we're saying here is toll the bridge and put that money into rapid transit."

Harper said before the Port Mann Bridge was tolled, traffic had been decreasing on the 77-year-old Pattullo, which was originally built as a local connector between neighbouring municipalities and was not a required part of the provincial highway system.

"All that changed when tolls were introduced," he said of the Port Mann. "Port Mann tolls led to a significant increase in traffic, including truck traffic over the bridge to major arterial streets and local streets as drivers seek to find the faster ways to avoid congestion."

Harper said there's simply little room within New Westminster's narrow and historical streets to accommodate additional traffic without adversely affecting its own neighbourhoods, institutions and community areas. He said the problem is Surrey's proposal for a six-lane, freeway style bridge to replace the old Pattullo.

Councillors Nick Volkow and Dan Johnston said they supported New Westminster's four-lane proposal.

Volkow asked if anyone is keeping track of the traffic on the Pattullo in light of the Port Metro Vancouver truck driver's strike, to see if and how traffic has improved.

However, councillors Colleen Jordan, Paul McDonell and Sav Dhaliwal had different ideas on how to deal with the Pattullo Bridge issue.

McDonell said truck traffic should be forced back on to the Port Mann Bridge, and the Pattullo should be torn down and not replaced at all.

"I don't know if we really need that bridge," he noted. "I'm not being facetious. No bridge at all. Tear it down."

McDonell also said if a bridge is built, it shouldn't allow trucks.

"We've got to stop, why do we worry about those people," he said. "Let them travel another 15 or 20 kilometres. Why should we be building for the convenience of them and subjecting our citizens to the outpouring of all of the problems we have with them?"

Harper said the problem is Surrey wants a six-lane bridge.

"Well, that's their problem," McDonell said.

Harper said it becomes New Westminster's problem if Surrey gets its way and builds a six-lane bridge because all that traffic would end up on his city's streets.

Jordan echoed McDonell's opinion of tearing down the bridge and not replacing it, or if the new bridge could ban truck traffic like the Lion's Gate Bridge.

Dhaliwal had a different idea, which is to connect McBride Boulevard with Highway 1 because 10th Avenue, Canada Way and Kingsway have all been adversely affected by the bridge traffic.

"Every car that crosses the Pattullo goes down through Burnaby," he said. "We have a lineup here .... Guess where that traffic is going? It all flows through Canada Way, 10th Avenue, McBride and the Pattullo."

Dhaliwal said a four-lane bridge would only increase traffic. He noted that tolls most likely would not help as the province will most likely end up tolling all bridges at some point in the future.

Mayor Derek Corrigan said Harper can report back to his city saying that many Burnaby councillors think "four lanes was too generous."

"There hasn't been a decision made, but certainly you can tell that most of us are worried about the impact of that traffic coming through our city," he said. "From my point of view, I was there when we bought the bridge off the province for $1, and it was a very expensive purchase."

Corrigan said when the Pattullo transferred into TransLink's responsibility in 1998, it was promised that it would be good for 35 years.

"The engineers that made that original assessment, I don't know where they went, but they should be held accountable for it," he said. "One good piece of news out of all this is around the Lower Mainland, despite Surrey's position, across the Lower Mainland mayors are coming to agreement that they don't want more lanes of traffic and that is a broad consensus that's been reached."

Corrigan said he's advised Surrey that the only way it would create its own city centre is by making sure it isn't easy for people to get to Downtown Vancouver.

"I think in the long run, them declining the increase of road capacity will help them to build a better city and it's good for all of us if Surrey becomes that centre on the other side of the Fraser River."

Corrigan said staff will be working on a report to advise Burnaby on how to proceed regarding New West's proposal.
Acura604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #54
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
L O L

Tear the Pattullo Bridge down and let them travel another 20 kilometres, say Burnaby councillors

"We've got to stop, why do we worry about those people," he said. "Let them travel another 15 or 20 kilometres. Why should we be building for the convenience of them and subjecting our citizens to the outpouring of all of the problems we have with them?"
Surely making it as difficult as possible to get goods from one end of the supply chain to the other isn't great for the economy.

Every day that goes by that I have to read the stupid shit coming out of the mouths of Burnaby and New West city council members and mayors makes me think that the only requirement to be in civic politics is to be as dumb as a sack of potatoes.
stump is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #55
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Are the assholes that live in the middle of things really complaining about being in the middle? Before they go hating on trucks so much they should think about how well they would get along if all of a sudden someone cut off the trucks that supply all their stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
As a side note, my all time favourite bridge has been closed. By the sounds of it, forever. The single lane bridge some take to Princess Auto. The Baily Bridge at the foot of Braid Street. It doesn't really save anyone that much time, 'cause the overpass at King Edward is completed, but the cool factor of that bridge, LOL.

The feel of the timbers shaking as you cross.
I crossed that bridge once when I was down there, I think I was trying to get from somewhere in Coquitlam to Tsawwassen and some construction signage kicked me off the highway and wouldn't let me back on (unless I made two illegal turns) so I wound up at that bridge. Confused the shit out of me at first, I think I just sat there for a minute or two trying to sort out WTF I had stumbled across. I had no clue where we had ended up since my GPS was going nuts so I never knew where that awesome little bridge was, thanks for bringing it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I just heard on traffic radio that the bridge is going to be rebuilt......... if it ain't wooden it ain't the same.

Also, for those who want to drive over it, it's closed down for good, so no chance to experience what we have described.

I tell you guys, we need to make a "must do before they is gone" list. Like the Brave Bull. I went there one week before they closed down for good. Speaking of wooden structures, gotta go ride the roller coaster at the PNE one more time before they deem it unsafe and tear it down.
By fluke my family went through the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse at Disneyland the day before it got shut down for good. It was our first day and there wasn't any indication it was closing, we just happened to go through it. Then boom, the next day it's all chained off for good.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote