REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #51
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

So glad that you got your wheels back I know what it feels like when someone steals from you. Nice to know how quickly this was taken care of too with the RCMP officer's help. I guess insomnia and CL lurking paid off this time
Advertisement

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #52
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Wow! Awesome, so how did the cops come in contact wit the wheels exactly???
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #53
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Happy ending
SofaKingFast is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2014, 10:39 PM   #54
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 2,532 Times in 446 Posts
so much fucking win.
was the chick a junkie bitch? bangable? :P
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:53 PM   #55
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,914 Times in 3,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
It's very hard to do these days honestly. She claims she purchased them off of Craigslist and needed to sell again as she was hard for money. I informed the RCMP and they said there is not much they can do.....sad really.
That sucks, whatever happened to "possession of stolen property"?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2014, 11:01 PM   #56
Old School RS

Thanked 3,956 Times in 1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
And how is that claim sufficient? If she bought them off CL there would at least be an email in her email box to make contact with the seller or if she called/texted there would be a record in her phone and with the phone company. Not at all in the least hard to follow up on that...
Old 03-14-2014, 11:40 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
And how is that claim sufficient? If she bought them off CL there would at least be an email in her email box to make contact with the seller or if she called/texted there would be a record in her phone and with the phone company. Not at all in the least hard to follow up on that...
You would think she'd be interested in trying to help find the guy and maybe get her money back. I know if the RCMP came and told me the items I had bought were stolen, I'd be trying to help them find the guy who stole my money and somebody else's belongings.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 03-15-2014, 12:17 AM   #58
KO7

Awesome thread with a quick happy ending (in time for steak and bj day heh).

Are most shops able to engrave the wheels for you? Will be taking my upcoming new wheels to Speed Syndicate.
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:18 AM   #59

Thanked 2,532 Times in 446 Posts
shes probably in it on the jack.
damn crackers
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:22 AM   #60
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Euro Exotic Auto. Did they take over the old Forced Fed shop? Last time I was in Langley it was still boarded up, but it was a good location for another tuner shop to take over.

Glad to see you got your rims back! Once again I'm impressed by the members here.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:14 AM   #61
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
question for those here who have engraved their info on stuff... a friend did this to his bike some years back, and after it was recovered from a chop shop they were halfway through shaving his engravings off everything he marked with a dremel or grinder. after that i didn't really give engraving much value as a theft deterrent/recovery tool... but now this has been mentioned again, have things changed or is there now some better way to do this?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 03-15-2014 at 09:33 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #62
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I'm reminded of the time my Uncle came home to his apartment to find his lock busted off. Unknowingly some junkie woman was hiding in his closet the whole time (he found out after). She got arrested some how on the scene, cops found pills and some lock busting instruments in her purse after. All i know is if it was me that found her i would have put a fucking beating on her w/o any question!! My Uncle was more forgiving i guess lol.
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #63

I would assume the more hidden the place where you can engrave it is, the better. An experienced chop shop would probably check for engravings, but your average dumbass thief probably wouldn't.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #64
RS controls my life!

+1 for the good guys
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #65
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
I think instead of the old RS beatdown crew we should do the RS Shaming crew! We find her pic, photoshop her face on a crack whore begging for money, call her 'The Craigslist Wheel Whore' and make an animated GIF out of her. Life:Ruined

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #66
Witness protection

were there police present when you went to go get your wheels?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
Old 03-16-2014, 09:32 AM   #67
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Should keep tabs on that CL phone number. Thieves are gonna thieve.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #68

Can you search CL ads by phone number?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #69
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,278 Times in 1,968 Posts
Quote:
I've ran phone numbers through google and CL ads will pop up
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #70

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonka View Post

So glad that you got your wheels back I know what it feels like when someone steals from you. Nice to know how quickly this was taken care of too with the RCMP officer's help. I guess insomnia and CL lurking paid off this time
Paid off, dude you saved me huge $$$$!! Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-SPEC View Post
Wow! Awesome, so how did the cops come in contact wit the wheels exactly???
The cops did not get the wheels back, they played middle woman in this one and told her to give them back or go to jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
so much fucking win.
was the chick a junkie bitch? bangable? :P
If your in to that kind of thing

Quote:
Cops will not do much with this unless you really press it. She had the wheels in her possession but can not prove she was the one who took them. She claimed to purchase them off of CL and that she had erased the sellers number already.
I know its BS but there is not much I can do and she was dirty so I didnt want to get into it with her and have a needle or something pulled out on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
You can show that there is a lot of things that point to her having something to do with the theft or re-sale of the wheels but nothing is solid proof. It would most likely just cost the tax payer money and time to deal with situations like this.

Quote:
You would think she'd be interested in trying to help find the guy and maybe get her money back. I know if the RCMP came and told me the items I had bought were stolen, I'd be trying to help them find the guy who stole my money and somebody else's belongings.
I mentioned this to her and she said she no longer had the number and all kinds of other crap which is BS....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO7 View Post
Awesome thread with a quick happy ending (in time for steak and bj day heh).

Are most shops able to engrave the wheels for you? Will be taking my upcoming new wheels to Speed Syndicate.
I did them myself, but I'm sure a shop could do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
shes probably in it on the jack.
damn crackers
Would not surprise me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Euro Exotic Auto. Did they take over the old Forced Fed shop? Last time I was in Langley it was still boarded up, but it was a good location for another tuner shop to take over.

Glad to see you got your rims back! Once again I'm impressed by the members here.
Nope, not that I'm aware of. Good spot and we are actually expanding there now as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
question for those here who have engraved their info on stuff... a friend did this to his bike some years back, and after it was recovered from a chop shop they were halfway through shaving his engravings off everything he marked with a dremel or grinder. after that i didn't really give engraving much value as a theft deterrent/recovery tool... but now this has been mentioned again, have things changed or is there now some better way to do this?
Engraving, when done properly, is hard to remove. There are a few ways to do it and the method I used was a hammer and punch. I drew a straight line on the inside edge to keep it straight and then tapped the VIN and SIN into the wheel.
The trick I used was to put these numbers on when you are balancing the wheel. The reason why I say this is that you can choose where to put the number so that the stick on wheel weights go over top of the numbers. If someone stole the wheels they would not be looking under the weights for anything.
IF they did and tried to grind it off you can still get the numbers to show with a special chemical that will highlight the stress in the metal caused by the hammering in of the numbers. If they managed to grind off enough material to get rid of that the wheel would be junk by that point.

Quote:
I would assume the more hidden the place where you can engrave it is, the better. An experienced chop shop would probably check for engravings, but your average dumbass thief probably wouldn't.
Under the wheel weights

Quote:
were there police present when you went to go get your wheels?
No, she told me I can go there myself to get them or she could come along but at some crazy hour so I told her I would just take a friend and go get them myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Should keep tabs on that CL phone number. Thieves are gonna thieve.
Done and done

Quote:
Just google search the cell #. It will pop up as a link to CL adds if there are any.

604-217-4582 is her cell # BTW. I do also have her address......not a bright girl.
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #71
Witness protection

Quote:

Engraving, when done properly, is hard to remove. There are a few ways to do it and the method I used was a hammer and punch. I drew a straight line on the inside edge to keep it straight and then tapped the VIN and SIN into the wheel.
The trick I used was to put these numbers on when you are balancing the wheel. The reason why I say this is that you can choose where to put the number so that the stick on wheel weights go over top of the numbers. If someone stole the wheels they would not be looking under the weights for anything.
IF they did and tried to grind it off you can still get the numbers to show with a special chemical that will highlight the stress in the metal caused by the hammering in of the numbers. If they managed to grind off enough material to get rid of that the wheel would be junk by that point.

Under the wheel weights

No, she told me I can go there myself to get them or she could come along but at some crazy hour so I told her I would just take a friend and go get them myself.
in hindsight, i really think you should have brought the cop with you. she would have been present to hear that bullshit about having bought them a few weeks back. my other fear is that whoever actually stole the wheels might have been there when you showed up...

a punch and die method i didn't think of. where can i find those? did you do that to these wheels? so... you scrape off the wheelweights, punch your info, and then stick new wheelweights over it again? or am i overthinking this?
Old 03-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #72
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
Quote:
in hindsight, i really think you should have brought the cop with you. she would have been present to hear that bullshit about having bought them a few weeks back. my other fear is that whoever actually stole the wheels might have been there when you showed up...

a punch and die method i didn't think of. where can i find those? did you do that to these wheels? so... you scrape off the wheelweights, punch your info, and then stick new wheelweights over it again? or am i overthinking this?
I have a very old, yet very effective diamond engraver. I find it marks deeper thank most engravers I have seen. You can borrow it anytime Thumper!

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #73

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:

It would not matter if the person who stole them was there, without proof there is no action. It would not matter if the person was there anyway, actions were taken to insure that nothing would happen.
As for the engraving, I would put the wheel on the balancer (no weights) spin it up and find where I would put the weights and then mark that spot, do my engraving and then put the weights on there. Depending on the wheel it may cover the whole thing or only part of it but its better than nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgasm_donor View Post
I have a very old, yet very effective diamond engraver. I find it marks deeper thank most engravers I have seen. You can borrow it anytime Thumper!
Those type of engravers are better than nothing but are the easiest ones to remove as they remove metal from the wheel rather than deform the metal which is harder to remove.
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #74

Quote:
You are one sneaky sonofagun. Even if the wheels are already balanec you could pop them off, punch on your VIN or SIN, and reapply the weights.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #75
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Glad to see the results!

I'd post up the conversation I had with the thief but really not worth it.

I was talking to her in the morning about scheduling a pick up, and she stopped replying for a while. After I messaged her again asking when I could come she instantly replied by telling me the wheels were stolen and that the owner was coming to pick them back up.

Last edited by rriggi; 03-16-2014 at 10:47 PM.
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote