REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
PeanutButter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 878
Thanked 1,759 Times in 282 Posts
Massive $1.5-billion Oakridge Centre redevelopment approved

More info and pictures in the link
Massive Oakridge Centre redevelopment approved by Vancouver City Council



Vancouver City Council has approved Oakridge Centre’s rezoning and redevelopment proposal with a 6-3 majority vote. It will allow the construction of 14 towers between 9 to 44 storeys tall while also doubling the amount of retail available at the 1959-built mall.



Oakridge Centre is the largest of the thee major redevelopments planned along the Canada Line. A redevelopment project at the 25.4-acre Pearson Dogwood site at 57th Avenue and Cambie Street will renew Vancouver Coastal Health’s medical facilities, bring 3,083 residential units, green spaces, and a new/additional Canada Line station. Further down at the foot of Cambie Street, Marine Gateway has provided a catalyst for additional major development projects within the immediate vicinity.

This will be the only “Town Centre” within the City of Vancouver outside of downtown Vancouver whereas neighbouring Burnaby has three such hubs at Metrotown, Brentwood and Lougheed.

In addition to being served by the Canada Line, Oakridge Centre is located in the middle of Vancouver at the crossroads of two of the city’s major arterial roads (41st Avenue and Cambie Street).

Three public hearings were held at City Hall on Monday, Tuesday and Friday to allow all 150+ speakers a chance to voice their views. The City of Vancouver received a total of 400+ written and spoken responses prior and during the public hearing period.

While a majority of the speakers were in favour of the project and its elements, local neighbourhood residents came out in full force to voice their concerns over the traffic additional density would bring, shadowing caused by tower heights, potential strain in local services and infrastructure, local impact of phased construction over a decade long period, issues over transparency and the public consultation process, and their desire to maintain a small-scale, intimate “sense of community.”



Advertisement
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
FerrariEnzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: somewhere
Posts: 7,656
Thanked 2,352 Times in 949 Posts
Wow.. did oakridge already did an upgrade few years ago??
__________________
My Buy&Sell Feedback, Thanx
FerrariEnzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,547
Thanked 1,665 Times in 847 Posts
LOl I don't see why some people think it will get cancel if they complain. These public hearing is just for shows. The plan is already there and on amount of complains will stop it.

I think is a good idea but I wonder how much it will affect the transit there. Is already packed during rush hour now and even on weekends..... Unless transit did some massive upgrades I think there are going to be issues. Just like how Metrotown, Brentwood mall and Lougheed mall. There are tons of apartments building built around those area and unless transit plan to upgrade they current system it won't be able to handle the mass amount of people using it on a daily basis.
Mr.HappySilp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Timpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: ...
Posts: 20,379
Thanked 4,550 Times in 1,368 Posts
They should upgrade/add skytrain routes or do something to solve massive traffic jams.

Also who needs outside shopping mall in Vancouver? It won't be popular during the winter due to rain.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...
 
Redlines_Daily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,482
Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
I dot get this rain argument everything I see a newly proposed outdoor shopping complex. Robson st, Granville st, Granville island, denman etc, all seem to do fine.
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
Bouncing Bettys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bootyville
Posts: 3,694
Thanked 1,854 Times in 585 Posts
Many thanks for the All-caps title which prepared me for how massive this news story is.
__________________
LEAFS!
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,673
Thanked 362 Times in 171 Posts
with 40k in non-mortgage debt in B.C. so of course the corporations have ordered another shopping center for us to indulge.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 331
Thanked 43 Times in 32 Posts
By the last picture it almost feels like they hired the same designer/architect who did the Taipei 101 area, or this is the new open concept that commercial buildings are going after.
Jonydakiller is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #9
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,547
Thanked 1,665 Times in 847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
with 40k in non-mortgage debt in B.C. so of course the corporations have ordered another shopping center for us to indulge.
What I don't get is why people love going to shopping malls on weekends Is full of people and I can't even walk straight for 5seconds without someone in my ways because people just love to stop all of a sudden, talk to their friends or start texting. Can't people find a place where they aren't blocking anyone and do that? Even line up at super markets takes ages. Went to Costco last Sat and literally it took 10mins to fin a parking spot and the store is full of people took a good 20mins just to line and pay..........

I avoided going to the malls, or shopping during weekends and holidays at all cost (same reason I avoid going to see a movie that's newly release).

I like shopping in a more relax and less people around.
Mr.HappySilp is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #10
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,544
Thanked 652 Times in 346 Posts
The proposed plan does have transit plans in mind, and that is to add a new train station, which I don't think will ease the future transit issues. As adding a new station, will not ease the number of transit riders. What they should do is expand the size of platforms and add more carts to the trains and increase the frequency of trains. Those are more realistic solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
I dot get this rain argument everything I see a newly proposed outdoor shopping complex. Robson st, Granville st, Granville island, denman etc, all seem to do fine.
How often are you down on Robson and Denman? It's really only busy like 4 months of the year during the summer months, and relatively dead on weekdays during the rest of the year.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Ludepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,364
Thanked 583 Times in 176 Posts
^ Agreed

Weather and Parking is vital.
Robson only does well in summer...
Granville is always dead because of no street traffic...
Strip malls in vancouver DO NOT do well.
Ludepower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #12
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,547
Thanked 1,665 Times in 847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
^ Agreed

Weather and Parking is vital.
Robson only does well in summer...
Granville is always dead because of no street traffic...
Strip malls in vancouver DO NOT do well.
Same with bike lanes. They get used maybe 4 months out of a year with less than 40 bikes a day yet the city is building more and more bike lanes........ Soon there will only bike lanes heading into downtown.......
Mr.HappySilp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #13
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
Infiniti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,145
Thanked 429 Times in 168 Posts
crazy development!
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #14
I am on the internets
 
maxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,991
Thanked 184 Times in 80 Posts
prediction

bachelors start at 375k
1 bed starts at 430k
1 bed+den starts at 480k
etc
__________________
"As Sir Francis Bacon once said, 'There is no beauty which hath not some strangeness about its proportions'.
And he's right, who ever he is. I mean, look at Keira Knightley.
She's just an ironing board with a face. And she works." - JC on the Alfa 8C
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Gucci Mane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SRY
Posts: 2,628
Thanked 2,577 Times in 920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
What I don't get is why people love going to shopping malls on weekends Is full of people and I can't even walk straight for 5seconds without someone in my ways because people just love to stop all of a sudden, talk to their friends or start texting. Can't people find a place where they aren't blocking anyone and do that? Even line up at super markets takes ages. Went to Costco last Sat and literally it took 10mins to fin a parking spot and the store is full of people took a good 20mins just to line and pay..........

I avoided going to the malls, or shopping during weekends and holidays at all cost (same reason I avoid going to see a movie that's newly release).

I like shopping in a more relax and less people around.
i fully agree, im the same exact way. i only go to the malls during the time that old people are in there for their morning walks lol. its fucking mint.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #16
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
m3thods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,115
Thanked 1,041 Times in 586 Posts
I'm not sure why there's all the hate for outdoor plazas/retail areas. Robson and Kits do just fine during the non-Summer months.

In the summer they will be very popular given the weather patterns in Vancouver. And even with the rain, I'm sure there'll be overhang like there is at other outdoor retail centers like the premium outlets in Seattle and Woodburn. Not everywhere, but I'm sure there will be some reprieve from wet weather for shoppers. And for the open areas? We have umbrellas. We're pretty lucky to avoid major systems like what's happening out east, so why not embrace the fact that we're rarely below 10 degrees C and take advantage of that with open-air public plazas and retail. Sure not everyone will use it then, but at least it's available to those who would.

I know we like to rag on municipal governments (well, governments in general) for being incompetent. However, I refuse to believe that they didn't consider the 10 months of rain enough to have no outdoor cover for most of the retail area.

And if I lived in the area, I'd very much prefer an outdoor plaza to another concrete retail building. That's what Metrotown and the Richmond malls are for. And if it was built like another Metrotown, I sure as hell wouldn't want the extra "busy-ness" as some of you have noted.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:09 PM   #17
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,547
Thanked 1,665 Times in 847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
I'm not sure why there's all the hate for outdoor plazas/retail areas. Robson and Kits do just fine during the non-Summer months.

In the summer they will be very popular given the weather patterns in Vancouver. And even with the rain, I'm sure there'll be overhang like there is at other outdoor retail centers like the premium outlets in Seattle and Woodburn. Not everywhere, but I'm sure there will be some reprieve from wet weather for shoppers. And for the open areas? We have umbrellas. We're pretty lucky to avoid major systems like what's happening out east, so why not embrace the fact that we're rarely below 10 degrees C and take advantage of that with open-air public plazas and retail. Sure not everyone will use it then, but at least it's available to those who would.

I know we like to rag on municipal governments (well, governments in general) for being incompetent. However, I refuse to believe that they didn't consider the 10 months of rain enough to have no outdoor cover for most of the retail area.

And if I lived in the area, I'd very much prefer an outdoor plaza to another concrete retail building. That's what Metrotown and the Richmond malls are for. And if it was built like another Metrotown, I sure as hell wouldn't want the extra "busy-ness" as some of you have noted.
BC PLACE OPEN ROOF is a good example of all the planning and the though the gov put when designing it.........
Mr.HappySilp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #18
y'all better put some respeck on my name
 
Harvey Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 17,743
Thanked 8,025 Times in 2,085 Posts
Well we all knew this was coming. Oakridge is prime real estate, so much open and wasted space plus you have townhouses going up all over Cambie St corridor so this was the next logical step. The other big fight is going to be the Langara golf course because supposedly the city is looking at possible redevelopment of this space in the near future.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:31 PM   #19
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,544
Thanked 652 Times in 346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
I'm not sure why there's all the hate for outdoor plazas/retail areas. Robson and Kits do just fine during the non-Summer months.
Is that why there are so many signs up FOR LEASE and FOR SUBLEASE along Robson?

Outside of those summer months, Robson St. is hardly busy except for the occasional overcast and sunny days during the rest of the 8 months. Rent is extremely high along Robson, not many business can survive and bank on only 4 months of the year on high sales, and survive the other 8 months. Just look at Bebe, and Cafe Artigiano (Robson & Thurlow). The latter being busy every single day, rain or shine, yet folded cause they couldn't afford the lease.

With the redevelopment/development of Brentwood Town Centre, Oakridge Town Centre, Metrotown, and Airport Luxury Outlet. You will see less people coming to Robson (during summer months and rest of the year), as the foot and car traffic will be diluted into those areas. People will tend to stay within their own city, rather then driving to Downtown Robson to shop.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #20
y'all better put some respeck on my name
 
Harvey Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 17,743
Thanked 8,025 Times in 2,085 Posts
Robson needs to find it's identity. There's too much of a mix match, I would personally look at making it a high end shopping area with higher end restaurants and lounges.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:41 PM   #21
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
PeanutButter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 878
Thanked 1,759 Times in 282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Many thanks for the All-caps title which prepared me for how massive this news story is.
Haha, I just copied the title from the article.

Sorry if the content was underwhelming
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #22
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
 
bing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 1,842
Thanked 563 Times in 229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx View Post
prediction

bachelors start at 375k
1 bed starts at 430k
1 bed+den starts at 480k
etc
This is Vancouver West so you'll have to tag on a premium. My extended family own a vacation unit in that area and it is "worth" closer to 600k for only a 1BR and den (800sqft). Keep in mind, it does not even have marble counter tops or stainless steel appliances so I think the starting prices would be much higher.
__________________

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd (rip)
07' BMW 323iA (sold)
05' BMW Z4 5spd (sold)
06' BMW 330i 6spd (sold)
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5

Motorcycles:
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #23
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
JSALES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 11,580
Thanked 2,739 Times in 776 Posts
Looking at the pictures reminds me of the Fashion Show Mall in Las Vegas
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #24
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Coquitlam, B.C.
Posts: 41
Thanked 32 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
I'm not sure why there's all the hate for outdoor plazas/retail areas.
Off topic, but wasn't the area around Rogers Arena supposed to be a public square/outdoor plaza instead of condos? I remember reading about it in Vancitybuzz back when the Waldorf announced it was closing down.
OrangeJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #25
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
m3thods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,115
Thanked 1,041 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
BC PLACE OPEN ROOF is a good example of all the planning and the though the gov put when designing it.........
Well, it opens. They can even control the amount of opening IIRC. They just don't want to open it. I'm not sure how that makes them unable to plan for rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Is that why there are so many signs up FOR LEASE and FOR SUBLEASE along Robson?

Outside of those summer months, Robson St. is hardly busy except for the occasional overcast and sunny days during the rest of the 8 months. Rent is extremely high along Robson, not many business can survive and bank on only 4 months of the year on high sales, and survive the other 8 months. Just look at Bebe, and Cafe Artigiano (Robson & Thurlow). The latter being busy every single day, rain or shine, yet folded cause they couldn't afford the lease.

With the redevelopment/development of Brentwood Town Centre, Oakridge Town Centre, Metrotown, and Airport Luxury Outlet. You will see less people coming to Robson (during summer months and rest of the year), as the foot and car traffic will be diluted into those areas. People will tend to stay within their own city, rather then driving to Downtown Robson to shop.
There aren't that many top-bill companies that I can remember that folded on Robson. Bebe would be one, but that's recent after a long run at that corner location. The rent is high for a company like Cafe Artigiano, but I don't see any Starbucks locations closing shop on Robson (except the old one that CA took over, which didn't make sense in the first place).

While you're right that rent is ridiculously high, that hasn't stopped companies from wanting locations there. Apple has been rumoured to want a high-end Downtown location ON TOP of the PC location, which is one of their top earning stores per sqft. F21 just opened a location there as well.

And while the redevelopments of all those town centers (and the luxury mall near YVR) are a good point, tourists usually don't stay in the 'burbs when visiting. That's why Robson is there. This would be where Lord Disick's comment is very appropriate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
Robson needs to find it's identity. There's too much of a mix match, I would personally look at making it a high end shopping area with higher end restaurants and lounges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
Off topic, but wasn't the area around Rogers Arena supposed to be a public square/outdoor plaza instead of condos? I remember reading about it in Vancitybuzz back when the Waldorf announced it was closing down.
This I'm not sure. Maybe some of it, but I'm pretty sure Aquilini had a master plan of condos around the arena from the start.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net