REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-16-2014, 01:36 AM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Looking for opinions: '09 Mitsu Lancer or....?

Looking at picking up a newish car 2008 or better, and under 15k. I've seen an 09' Mistu Lancer Sportback for around that, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on them, what kinds of mods etc. I was thinking I'd pick up another Acura CSX but I kind of like the look of the Lancers.

opinions etc, all welcome.

thanks in advance
Advertisement
xerograv is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2014, 01:40 AM   #2
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
If your heart is set on a Lancer then go for it. I love the look of them! Best front end of any car in its class.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2014, 01:52 AM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

The sport back lancer looks more aggressive and sporty compared to the CSX, however depending on your options, the CSX would be a bit more luxurious. Also dont forget the 10 year power train warranty on the Mitsubishi's =P
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2014, 01:55 AM   #4

I'm just wondering what if anything I should watch out for on Mitsubishi's, I've never really heard good or bad things about them.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:00 AM   #5
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
not personal experience as i've never driven a lancer but a friend who has didn't really feel like it's a drivers car at all, if that matters to you.

he felt like there was no handling and the car just felt very boring to drive.
but lookswise it does look great though. don't know about csx.
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

mitsu interior feels cheap from what ive heard off owners. I drive my family's outlander and it feels fine IMO.
jinxcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2014, 08:42 AM   #7
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

The interior is indeed somewhat cheap, but it is utilitarian. The exterior makes up for it though. :P

I've driven a 2000 Mazda MPV, 2006 Matrix, and 2012 RVR and compared to all of those cars, the Lancer feels very planted and handles great. Granted, I drive the base model. I believe the GTS/sportback models come with a more aggressive suspension set up.

@Shorn, I think your friend thought the Lancer was boring to drive was because of the CVT transmission. The CVT without the paddle shifters is VERY boring indeed. The car is okay to drive with the paddle shifters though. On my RVR, the CVT shifts lazily in Sport Mode.

Mods-wise, increasing power from the Lancer is a pricey task. Mods include intake, exhaust, cams, headers, and ecu flashing. Suspension mods are much more popular however.

Here are some 08+ Lancer specific sites:
9glancers.com
ClubCJ - The CJ Lancer Club ::
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
Love the look of the Sportback. Reminds me of a modern day Lancia Delta.

But for me, personally, I'd take the car that DRIVES better.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #9

Thanks guys! appreciate the imput.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
the sportback is just an ecno hatch.. i know it may cost a little more but try looking for the ralliart ones. the newer ones even come with a dual clutch gearbox!
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #11

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
you could probably get an 08+ mazdaspeed 3 for about 15k. id rather even have a regular 3 gt than a lancer
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #12
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I considered a mazdaspeed 3 pretty recently. I found it really hard to find one in the market that hasn't travelled all over canada with an 80k+ reading on the odo.. many people use it as daily drivers.
jinxcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #13

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
mazda speed 3 is still just an economy car lol. no offense to anyone on here that owns one. it just makes driving an econo box a little more enjoyable. its hardly any kind of sports car.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #14
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

^ ^ Mazda speed 3 isn't an economy car imo.. They are damn fast in straights and on track. Heard torque steer is bad though.
Posted via RS Mobile
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #15
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Owned an 08 for 4 years.

Pros:
Looks great
Power was decent for its class. Not the fastest but not slow
People knock the dash but I think it's clean and simple which is what I like. I also fitted a double-din deck that looked real good
Loaded with features
Handled well again for its class
That sub sounded nice and didn't get in the way of storage.

Cons:
CVT is brutal. Not sure if OP is getting auto or manual. CVT sucks the fun out of spirited driving. First gear is non existent and it whines. For city driving (Kingway stop-and-go it's fine). It actually feels fast between 20-80 because it doesn't shift.
Noticed a few quality issues. The rubber rain seal that touches my back door was coming off.
It felt wider than it should be in a bad way. Hard to explain this point but I felt like I curbed it more often than I should. I traded my lancer in for a wider car and I must say I curbed my lancer more often.
Had lots of brake issues with screechy noises and an odd feedback vibration when I pressed the brake. Dealer would try to fix by machining the rotors and it usually gets worse after that.
CVT will not take engine performance modifications. Any HP jump will destroy the transmission.
Last con... lots of evo posers driving around with re-located plates and bad plastidip mods. It kinda spoils the fun when you see them around town.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #16
RS controls my life!

I have both the 2.0L 4B11 and 2.4L 4B12. I personally love the handling of the Lancer, much sportier compare to the Corolla and Civic.

Not sure if you are looking at a manual or CVT but here's some personal feedback regarding the CVT:

Try to find an used 2009-2010 GTS, 2012 SE AWC, or 2013-14 SE AWC/GT AWC, since those models came with the 2.4L, which is the best to drive imo. The 2.4L with the Sportronic CVT is one of the best combinations out there, shifts alot faster and responsive compare to the competition. You get both the paddles and the +/- shifter in the 09-10 GTS. From 2011 on, Mitsubishi cheap out and only offered the paddles with a regular shifter.

2.0L with Sportronic was only available for certain years...2008 GTS, 2011-present GT FWD models. Not as fun compare to the 2.4L w/ Sportronic but still better than those trims w/o.

If you do buy a lower trim level w/ the 2.0L that doesn't come with the Sportronic, you can actually buy the paddle shifters from Mitsubishi for around $150 and install them. The cars are actually pre-wired for it, plug and play. Not sure about the DE trim though.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.
Lancerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #17
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

^^ The paddle shifter mod is very popular with the Australian Lancers. Check ClubCJ link I posted a couple posts above. There is a how-to guide.

With regards to the Sportronic shifting Lancerion was talking about, only specific GTS model years' floor shifter is compatible with DE/ES models. I believe only 2008-2011 models work, but do research before attempting anything.

Here's a cool read up about the floor shifter modification: Floor Shifter Mod

@mos_skeeto, I agree with your comment that the Lancer feels wider than normal. I think it's because of the blind spots and the relatively high window line.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:59 PM   #18
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Buddy bought a new 08 Evo with manual back in the summer of 08.

Boy that thing was a hoot! it pulled like a 16 year old with high speed internet!

I liked the lines and the handling of it. For a performance car, you really cant' go wrong (also, the styling of it really got BIG points in my book!).

For a daily car, I'd recommend a stick with no turbo. You'll get oodles of fun with add on parts, and replacement parts should be cheaper than with a Honda/Toyota product

Happy shopping!
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2014, 09:19 PM   #19
Princess Dewey

I have had my 08 gts for over 2 years now and so far very few complaints. Like some of the others have said the cvt transmission makes the car feel very sluggish, paint isn't the best, suspension is very hard on stock 18’s, interior plastic feels cheap. What I like about the car; its very good on gas, maintenance and parts are very cheap, love the design. If I could buy a lancer again I would probably get a 2010+ with the 2.4L engine with a manual transmission and possibly AWD.
[05-03, 17:18] MPTness
if her age on the clock, she's too young for a cock

[12-03, 22:33] Amuro Ray
i was wearing women's clothing in my picture

[14-04, 00:16] Amuro Ray
i have hello kitty underwear

[14-04, 00:23] Amuro Ray
i find feet sexually exciting

[29-04, 00:21] Ri2
if i was a guy i'd just ejaculate on her face all up in her nose, mark yo territory like a beast

[14-05, 23:29] Ri2
i just watched japanese girls poop on each other for like 10 mins
smarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:36 PM   #20
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
For me, it's aggressive styling is the only thing going for it.

My friend has one, and like said above, the interior is cheap, the paint is cheap, the CVT feels more boring than driving a minivan. If you're planning on getting manual and doing heavy mods, then the Lancer makes sense. But for the price, if you're just gonna leave it mostly stock, then I think there are better alternatives..

I'd personally take the CSX without another thought, but all that matters is what you like.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:35 AM   #21
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

get a SUBIE!! ive seen quite a few good deals on CL
chrishk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #22
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I've got a 08 Lancer that has been very good to me. Love driving it and its good on gas. I would def suggest it.
speediandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #23
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Lancer and do Evo conversion.

You'll have an Evo without high insurance, gas, maintenance, etc.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #24
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

I'd take the car that DRIVES better.
fedoreat43o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #25
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Came into thread looking for unnecessary multiple posts with pictures from Timpo showing old RHD Japanese sedans. Disappointed by only one mildly stupid comment.
ScratchedMy991 is offline   Reply With Quote