REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Pulled over and ticketed for something I didnt do (https://www.revscene.net/forums/693581-pulled-over-ticketed-something-i-didnt-do.html)

liukb 03-16-2014 11:44 AM

Pulled over and ticketed for something I didnt do

Hi guys, so last night I was going down Clark dr around 3 am ish and I suddenly get pulled over. The police officer tells me I was going about 100km/h and that I ran a red which is utter bullshit and then he says he was following me and saw it. Then he asks if I drank and I told him I had a beer earlier and so I have to wait and another officer comes to breathalyze me. I was under the limit at 0.08 but then he still comes back and gives me a ticket for running a red which I didnt. I tell him this and instead he just says I could just impound you instead for speeding instead, when I was going 60 max.. Never had a ticket before is this something that would be easy to dispute at all? Since I have no way to prove that I didnt
Thanks

turbo1995 03-16-2014 12:18 PM

Disput it anyway, there might be a chance that he won't even show up. And ur court date will be awhile from now anyway. Also where is he's proof that u were speeding and and ran a red light. Idk if that's helpful but it's something lol
Posted via RS Mobile

Gnomes 03-16-2014 12:25 PM

Do traffic officers have their dash cam running at all time? Maybe you can request a discovery of evidence and a footage of you supposedly going 100km/hr.

Dash cams are useful, they not only can help you with accidents, but is a potential documentation you defending yourself against accusations you didnt commit. (However, going 60 is still considered speeding but you can try to get a reduced sentence)

liukb 03-16-2014 12:59 PM

He doesn't even have proof, just said he was following behind me for a while or something. Also the ticket doesn't have speeding on it, it only says "disobey traffic control device"

Gh0stRider 03-16-2014 01:12 PM

Don't think all vehicles have dash cameras.

sebberry 03-16-2014 02:20 PM

Time to get yourself a dash camera.

zulutango 03-16-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liukb (Post 8437174)
He doesn't even have proof, just said he was following behind me for a while or something. Also the ticket doesn't have speeding on it, it only says "disobey traffic control device"

You got a break on the ticket price...$121 & 2 points for what he charged you with...$167 & 3 points for running a red. If he was following you then it would be pretty straight forward to give evidence on. Are you telling us the light was green as you entered the intersection????

He didn't charge you for speeding and you would have to been more than 41k over the limit for an impound anyway. Not being familiar with the limits there, but assuming it is a 50 zone, you have admitted to us you were over the limit. Following behind you or something is called "pacing you". He follows you from a constant distance and his speedo tells him what you are going. Pretty simple.

A dash cam would have shown what colour the light was before you entered, but unless you had your certified speedometer shown in the picture, it would not be much use to defend you against the speeding charge you never got.

sekin67835 03-16-2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8437318)
You got a break on the ticket price...$121 & 2 points for what he charged you with...$167 & 3 points for running a red. If he was following you then it would be pretty straight forward to give evidence on. Are you telling us the light was green as you entered the intersection????

He didn't charge you for speeding and you would have to been more than 41k over the limit for an impound anyway. Not being familiar with the limits there, but assuming it is a 50 zone, you have admitted to us you were over the limit. Following behind you or something is called "pacing you". He follows you from a constant distance and his speedo tells him what you are going. Pretty simple.

A dash cam would have shown what colour the light was before you entered, but unless you had your certified speedometer shown in the picture, it would not be much use to defend you against the speeding charge you never got.

You're talking as if he did do the crime. OP, I would suggest you to dispute it.. Although you have no evidence to back yourself up but it's worth a try.
Posted via RS Mobile

Yodamaster 03-16-2014 04:06 PM

Of course you should dispute it, you stand a chance of walking away or having your ticket toned down.

It's unfortunate that the officer's cruiser did not have a dash cam to prove those claims either way, they should be mandatory.

liukb 03-16-2014 05:18 PM

Quote:

The thing is I did NOT run any red and was not even behind or following me as far as I know until I just made a right turn and he pulled me over shortly after. Also I said I was going 60 at most to give a wider range but overall I'm pretty sure I wasn't going much more than 50 if at all. If I really was speeding as he claimed, I don't see why he wouldn't just ticket me for that, but its bullshit since I know i wasn't going anywhere as fast as he claimed

Not sure if its true as I've never been pulled over prior, but I've heard police have a hard on for a black bmw ? lol

evlee 03-16-2014 05:21 PM

thats BS, good luck with that bro. yeah i too been thinking about a dash cam just dont know which one to get

Soundy 03-16-2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Even without a speedometer (certified or otherwise) in view, if OP wasn't doing any more than 60, a dash cam would show pretty clearly that he WASN'T doing 100+.

jeedee 03-16-2014 05:56 PM

Seems like the officer is trying to hit his ticket quota for the month :lol

Spidey 03-16-2014 07:30 PM

when you made that right turn, was the light red? And if it was red, did you stop completely without tires moving, and then proceed to make the right turn? If not, there is your red light infraction.... The ticket didn't have speeding on it, so there's no point arguing about that since you weren't officially charged for it.

Also, you can't say for certain he wasn't following you as it was 3am and I doubt you would notice and pay attention to every car behind or beside you, unless you were deliberately looking out for cops...

Spidey 03-16-2014 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 8437507)
Seems like the officer is trying to hit his ticket quota for the month :lol

yes... because cops would jeopardize their reliability in court by lying in TRAFFIC court.

zulutango 03-16-2014 07:40 PM

Nothing like risking Service Court and criminal charges of perjury and loss of your career & pension to lie under oath to convict someone for a $121 ticket.

As a career Traffic guy I can tell you that there are NO quotas....we could write as many VTs as we wanted. :accepted:

sebberry 03-18-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8437607)
As a career Traffic guy I can tell you that there are NO quotas....we could write as many VTs as we wanted. :accepted:

From Page 78 of the Fraser Valley IRSU evaluation:

Quote:

Some respondents commented that although the unit tried to target the most dangerous locations to reduce crashes, that they relied on crash data made available to them which was a year old and some of the locations were difficult to enforce. They also needed to maintain a minimum amount violation ticket output which sometimes required going to locations not specified as ‘high crash sites’ to obtain a higher volume of violation tickets. These were termed, “fishing holes”.

Spidey 03-18-2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 8439165)

So what you are saying Sebberry, is that IRSU is the same as Richmond Traffic, Port Mann Traffic, Deas Island Traffic, VPD traffic, etc?

sebberry 03-18-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 8439171)
So what you are saying Sebberry, is that IRSU is the same as Richmond Traffic, Port Mann Traffic, Deas Island Traffic, VPD traffic, etc?

What I'm saying is don't make blanket statements that may not be true.

Spidey 03-18-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 8439178)

I am asking you since you seem to know "it all". You quoted information regarding IRSU. Do you believe every Police department and unit runs the same way across the board?

sebberry 03-18-2014 01:10 PM

Zulu clearly stated that there are no quotas.

I provided evidence that contradicts that. Maybe SITS doesn't have quotas, who knows? There's good reason to believe that the RCMP will operate their various divisions with reasonable similarity, so I suspect FV IRSU isn't alone in this regard.

Why are you attacking me?

Spidey 03-18-2014 01:52 PM

I am sorry you feel "attacked" lol. On the topic of quotas though, so what if there are for some departments? Don't commit a traffic infraction and you won't be part of the "quota".

As for OP, still waiting to see if you indeed roll through a red light while making that right turn, and subsequently got ticketed for something you "didn't do".

Soundy 03-18-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8437607)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 8439165)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 8439178)

Isn't that exactly what you're doing? Saying that because "some respondents" CLAIM the IRSU gave them "quotas" (which may or may not have been official, or even true), that means ALL cops in BC have quotas?

"So, Pot, at last we meet again for the first time for the last time." - Kettle.

Soundy 03-18-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 8439203)
Why are you attacking me?

Because you keep opening your fool mouth (or keyboard, as the case may be)?

snails 03-18-2014 02:14 PM

cops dont lie.. ever.. show me 1 case in history where a cop abused his or her powers just cuz they could..

:troll:

but at this point all you can do is dispute it, you will get to court and he will be there (or not) he may offer to reduce the sentence if you plea guilty.. otherwise you guys go inside, hes asked to provide evidence, if he dosnt have sufficient evidence its thrown out or treated as your word vs his.. in which case i dont think you will win