REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Suggestions for a new car? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/693599-suggestions-new-car.html)

Kamui712 03-16-2014 05:12 PM

Suggestions for a new car?

Hey all

I'm looking to buy a new/used car and was hoping for some advice, or point me in the direction where I can read and learn more...I'm not experienced with cars and want to do some good research about what I'm getting myself into.

Ideally I would like to keep my next car for 15-20 years...

Budget: 10k - 18k

Main goal here is to get something on the more practical mostly for:

- Picking up family from airport
- Big trips to the states
- Gas
- Reliable
- Easy to maintain

E.g.
- Mazda 3
- Hyundai Elantra GT
- Subaru Impreza HB
- Toyota Prius (maybe..)
- Honda Civic (2009-2011)

I know Mazda's got the new high compression skyactiv engine, but I'm not sure how long/reliable this new tech is...

Any suggestions/experiences of this cars would be great! I'm happy to go do research on my own too - are there specific sites ppl use here?

T4RAWR 03-16-2014 05:14 PM

rav4 out of the list your provided.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/84-rav4-forum/

PLUJ 03-16-2014 05:49 PM

Mazda Cx-5 for me I'd say, good looking car.

Purely 03-16-2014 06:09 PM

New Mazda 3 and Cx-5 gets my vote.

fliptuner 03-16-2014 06:30 PM

If you want it to last 15-20 years, only the Rav4 stands out.

Euro7r 03-16-2014 06:37 PM

Can't go wrong with a Toyota. Their vehicles are built like a tank. My dad drove his Toyota to the ground before he bought another one =P.

T2000 03-16-2014 06:45 PM

what a depressing list

BrRsn 03-16-2014 06:54 PM

I'd go prius if I was you

There's a reason why cab drivers prefer the prius as their vehicle -- despite what a lot of people say about the long term reliability of the batteries/engine, there's no reason not to buy a prius IMO

GS8 03-16-2014 06:57 PM

Prius for 15 years?

:fuckthatshit:

From your list you have 2 compacts, 2 compact SUVs and 1 hybrid. Mazda and Hyundai Elantra would be the only ones remotely exciting to drive.

iKayChow 03-16-2014 06:57 PM

I'd go with the rav4 still. Loving my 2014 Rav4 LE AWD. Though I drive a 2014 CX-5 AWD for work, both have their pros and cons.

-CX-5 feels a little sluggish when accelerating hard. Rav's sport mode makes it feel faster than it really is.
-Rav has more space than the cx-5
-Cx-5 fuel economy is better than the rav4 (drive it all day and don't notice the fuel gauge & mileage left till tank is empty being affected much, all driven in harsh stop and go residential areas too)
-Both in my opinion has pretty equal in quality of the ride, though the CX seemed a bit louder than the rav.
-Rav4 has a more luxurious interior than the cx-5
-Cx-5 the rear looks a bit better, rav4's taillights are like flat at the top (wasn't a big fan but still love the overall look)
-Rav4 eco mode is useless.. car takes so long to get up to speed you probably end up using the same amount of gas driving the car in normal/sport moode
-Rav4 vehicle button access is poorly placed. Mirror adjusting, traction, AWD lock, windows, door locks, heated seats, wiper defroster, eco/normal/sport mode buttons all very pain in the butt to press.
-Rav4 cheaped out on lighting up your mirror adjustment switch and the window switches.
-CX-5 gets auto up/down for drivers while rav4 only gives auto down, no up.
-As for extras, they both have their pros and cons for add ons
the cx-5 (as I see from building one on the site) has everything as optional add ons, so I guess it saves you money from things you may not want, while Toyota has packages and few add ons for the car (which forces you to get things you may not want).

No regrets for my rav4.

Best to just go test drive. This is just my 2 cents between the cars.

Though, if I may suggest, the new 2014 Nissan Rogue looks pretty damn nice too. New look from the previous year.(But the CVT transmission is a turn off for a lot of people)

multicartual 03-16-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T2000 (Post 8437557)
what a depressing list

My testicles shrank a little

MR_BIGGS 03-16-2014 08:11 PM

Set your budget, do research, test drive the vehicles and see what you like.

dared3vil0 03-16-2014 08:21 PM

Why are you keeping a car for 20 years? What factors helped you compile that list? (I'm asking those 2 q's so i can help narrow down the aforementioned list)

Lomac 03-16-2014 08:45 PM

HB or mid-size SUV... That's a fairly big gap there.

I've had my share of hatchbacks (GTI and cars like the S12... notchback/fastback... whatever you wanna call 'em, but they're technically a hatchback :lol) and am currently DD'ing a mid-size SUV (Pathfinder). You can certainly haul a lot of crap in the back of an SUV, and hauling a snowmobile or boat trailer is typically a breeze, provided you have the torque. However, SUV's are pretty damn boring to drive and can be expensive to gas up. That said, if you enjoy going off road or plan on having a family, there are worse ways to go.

I would still go for a hatchback though. Fiesta ST, anyone? :fullofwin:

Edison_Chen 03-16-2014 08:50 PM

Baed on your list, I'd go with a Toyota Rav4. If you were to resell it, it will probably sell a lot faster andm get slightly more money if it's a clean vehicle.

Kamui712 03-16-2014 10:37 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Yea, i know the cars listed aren't on anyone's top 10... and these vehicles wouldn't make any girls under 40 throw themselves at me lol

Main goal here is to get something on the more practical mostly for:

- Picking up family from airport
- Big trips to the states

I was thinking hatchback/SUV since shoving luggage into the trunk of Sedans has always been a royal pain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dared3vil0 (Post 8437673)
Why are you keeping a car for 20 years? What factors helped you compile that list? (I'm asking those 2 q's so i can help narrow down the aforementioned list)

Mainly depreciation - I'd rather use my $$ and save for a house than lease a car every few years.

fliptuner 03-16-2014 10:41 PM

What's your price range?

I'd suggest getting a good, used car, over buying new, if depreciation is a main concern.

blee123 03-16-2014 11:12 PM

Get the RAV-4, reliable and have a high resale value !

dared3vil0 03-16-2014 11:14 PM

Hang on. Your main concern is depreciation, but you plan on keeping a car for 20 years- you do realize every single car on your list will be essentially worthless in 20 years, right?

Timpo 03-16-2014 11:50 PM

Prius C

radioman 03-17-2014 12:42 AM

Op keep in mind in 15 years we will have flying cars. Buy used and save the money for when they come out.

Serious note I really think the cx5 is a great looking car with a great engine. Could do without the plastic trim around the fenders but it would make a great daily driver.

thumper 03-17-2014 12:32 PM

15-20 years... out of all your brand choices, toyota has the best track record, so that leaves you with the rav4.

the prius i don't know because the battery may need replacement, possibly more than once, depending on how much you drive. i don't question their reliability/durability however judging from all the prius taxis on the roads out there.

a subaru would be nice. however, it can be more expensive to maintain as mileage increases, such as the inevitable failure of the head gaskets for the older ej25 engines, as is the timing belt replacement, depending on the model year.

you never mentioned warranty... if you are going to keep a car for that long maybe a mitsubishi 10-5-5 factory warranty should be taken into consideration. the last-gen outlander is nice if you are looking for an suv (the current one sucks). good luggage space for your airport runs and road trips, decent reliabilty. but having said that, mitsubishi hasn't exactly been doing great in the north american marketplace and i am in constant doubt as to whether the car you purchase from them will outlast the company here.

http://www.moibibiki.com/files/image...-outlander.jpg

as for resource material, perhaps go the your newsstand or library and get the recent issue of consumer reports. they just did their 2014 car edition. hardcore gearheads say the magazine is crap, but i still think it's a good starting point to work from if you are not.

Tapioca 03-17-2014 10:03 PM

A slightly-used Toyota Corolla would fit your needs quite nicely. The first owner will have taken about half of the depreciation and you still have the balance of any powertrain warranty. It sounds you want an appliance and the Corolla is an appliance that will last 20 years with simple maintenance on wear and tear items.

nabs 03-17-2014 10:05 PM

Not on your list, but maybe look into it, Forester XT

bcrdukes 03-17-2014 10:11 PM

I recently bought a 2014 Toyota Corolla S and could not be happier! :D