REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #1
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

how to increase exposure of a new business

Hi there

My friend is going to open a cake shop in Vancouver. May I know besides Face Book, Web site, Yelp, Urbanspoon, what else I can suggest my friend to use for increasing internet presence ?

Please kindly advice.
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
I subscribe to Revscene

what's the customer base like? what's the business model - just cakes or does the shop offer pastries or coffee as well? where is the shop?

all these things will affect the type of 'exposure' you go for.
oh and the most important - what's the budget :P
dat_steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #3
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
instagram
twitter
be a sponsor on rs!
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
For internet presence, just good SEO on the website and social media presence. However, with a new site launch it really won't get onto google's pages until a few months when it gets out of the sandbox and into the actual search listings. Until then, there is always pay-per-click.

For offline marketing, doing an unaddressed drop piece is fairly affordable for the number of households you can reach (15 cents per piece), as long as you have the flyer designed and printed.

Maybe send sample coupons to local bloggers to try, or make a few cupcakes for friends to bring into their offices (if they are close to the shop) along with some brochures and spread the word. Just spitballing.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
groupon!

Think about it -- your business name sent right to the inbox of thousands of people
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
groupon!

Think about it -- your business name sent right to the inbox of thousands of people
Groupon sucks shit.

Their pitch is you spend money you'd otherwise spend on marketing.

Here's the math:

50% off retail. Groupon gets half. Instantly, your goods are devalued.

Next, you'll have a rush of cheap assed customers who expect the world for half off which your company will have problems serving, especially if you're new and just getting operations running. You'll probably also need more staff to handle that rush.

Of course, since the customers are so entitled, they will go bitch about every little thing and you'll quickly find yourself with more negative reviews than positive ones.

There's a reason it's mostly shitty businesses on Groupon now.

Sonick's ideas are cheaper and will be more effective. I'd argue against Adwords for a brick and mortar business because it's tough to measure results and intention doesn't always lead to buying.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
what kind of cake? wedding cake birthday cake specialty cake?
anything else besides cake? pastries cupcakes fruit tarts macaroons

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFonz View Post
Groupon sucks shit.

Their pitch is you spend money you'd otherwise spend on marketing.

Here's the math:

50% off retail. Groupon gets half. Instantly, your goods are devalued.

Next, you'll have a rush of cheap assed customers who expect the world for half off which your company will have problems serving, especially if you're new and just getting operations running. You'll probably also need more staff to handle that rush.

Of course, since the customers are so entitled, they will go bitch about every little thing and you'll quickly find yourself with more negative reviews than positive ones.

There's a reason it's mostly shitty businesses on Groupon now.

Sonick's ideas are cheaper and will be more effective. I'd argue against Adwords for a brick and mortar business because it's tough to measure results and intention doesn't always lead to buying.
I didn't think of it like that. I'm eventually launching a business of my own and I thought groupon would be brilliant since no one else in that field has ever done a groupon .. now I see why
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
I am Hook'd on RS

Yeah, Groupon will just result in a bunch of deal-seekers and complainers. But it CAN have its use. Just not for profit or "exposure" or whatever. You can use it to build up your email and SMS lists.

I remember seeing some businesses repeatedly (not sure if they still do) putting up Groupons and would consistently sell thousands of them every time. Assuming they're profiting on them, they could've built up their own mailing list and send their own specials/deals/whatever, cutting out Groupon and increasing revenue by 50% on the deals they were going to send anyway. Won't work for all businesses though.

---

I suggest starting with local SEO, social media (but actually use it like the social media platform it was meant to be, not like a billboard to spam stuff about your store), and reaching out to food bloggers. There are tons of them. Make sure the cake is good.. lol
Minto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #10
RS controls my life!

Theres tons of food bloggers in Vancouver- why not shoot them an email and invite them to sample some of your friend's offerings and have them write a blog posts? Tons of positive exposure that way
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
----\\\-///----
-----\\///-----
------///\-----
-----///\\\----
----///--\\\---
xmisstrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #11
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

If you were considering Groupon try working something out with VANEATS.ca instead? Similar to groupon except they sell 'dining packages.' They have a great social media presence and have bloggers promoting their stuff too.

Also if you decide to invite bloggers to your place to get some exposure, make sure they're good ones! So many of the food bloggers I've read aren't any good in terms of photography/writing. They only have high rankings on Urbanspoon because of the sheer number of posts they put out. If you wanna get good exposure choose some bloggers who's style you like so that it represents your product well.
kcl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #12
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Another thing to do is go to some work offices nearby and offer free samples.

I remembered a restaurant invited us to come to their new restaurant nearby to sample their food. Of course they said drinks wont be provided.

It was an awesome experience, we basically sampled the best of what they had to offer free of charge (in terms of the food). Most of us are not cheapskates so we ordered one or two drinks each. They also gave us a tour of the kitchen and showed off how they used organic and local produce etc. In the end, we paid for the drinks individually and our manager ended up leaving a decent side tip for the samples. I think the restaurant still probably lost a little bit of money as they gave a good amount of samples from their menu.

I thought it was a good marketing tactic.

It worked because we do go back there and added it to one of our routine spots when we go out.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #13
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

if its cakes in general, find a facility that operates birthday parties often and see if they'd be happy to sponsor. one birthday party could get your friend a lot of exposure
heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #14
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
You can also try radio stations for a quick, live interview in exchange for baked goods for the staff. A friend of mine did it on the Jeff O'Neil show on 99.3 and didn't pay for anything.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: