REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Neighbor threatened to get me towed... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/693878-neighbor-threatened-get-me-towed.html)

Tone Loc 03-26-2014 08:14 PM

Neighbor threatened to get me towed...

http://i.imgur.com/nA3bVYG.png

Refer to above diagram. I live facing a bike lane, and I don't like parking on that street simply because I've had my mirrors broken twice in the past 5 years. And in typical Vancouver fashion, nobody notified me, no note, no knock on my door, nothing.

So I park on the side, still on my block. Only problem is, I have taken "the only spot that isn't under a tree", as my lovely neighbour puts it. He threatened to have my car towed if I was parked in "his spot" again. Complete stereotypical "yuppie" BMW driver, think Tom Cruise's character in "Rain Man" except without the good looks (no homo).

According to Vancouver bylaw, if the vehicle is registered to that "block", then it can be parked anywhere on that "block'. Which I believe it is. He believes that it isn't. And has said that he will "try" to get my car towed because it is his "right" to park there.

I'm legitly sure the only reason he hasn't attempted to vandalize my car is 1) because I have a dash-cam, and 2) his car costs literally 14x what mine costs ($4000 vs $56000) and I'm sure he knows I can do a lot worse.

Anyone with bylaw experience please help me out. The last thing I want is to come home to having my car towed thanks to my asshole neighbor. Thanks!

Autorice 03-26-2014 08:19 PM

sounds like he has no merit. continue parking there

BrRsn 03-26-2014 08:44 PM

continue parking there, wait for him to put out buckets.

Steal buckets and proceed to wash your car with those buckets while wearing no shirt + boxers while he has company over, all while smoking a fat doob so the smell of marijuana permeates his household and makes his company think he lives in a shitty area.

then put a flaming bag of poop on his door step

ilovebacon 03-26-2014 10:04 PM

^lmfao that's a great plan to be honest
Posted via RS Mobile

mk1freak 03-26-2014 10:26 PM

No merit, friend is in bylaws the street is city property continue to park there. You can even remove buckets etc. Off the street and take the spots as long as you're registered to the block you can park anywhere on it. I'll ask him to get me the specific bylaw # but you can pretty much search it on the cover website.

knight604 03-26-2014 10:29 PM

Tell him to come at you

Euro7r 03-26-2014 10:46 PM

I hate dickheads such as op neighbor. They believe that the space in front or beside their homes is theirs and they are entitled to it.

They should learn to read their fucking property tax and to know what they own and what they don't. The street is owned by the city.

Gh0stRider 03-26-2014 10:50 PM

The street is open to anyone that is allowed to park there. People complain that other people have parked in front of their house, but its legal. They dont own the part of the street, so continue parking there.
Posted via RS Mobile

jtrinh 03-26-2014 11:20 PM

Speaking of.. A new business just opened up near my work place.

They've placed notes on all of our cars.. http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...pse7dxj8x4.jpg

My coworkers and I ignored all of their notices and now they set up cones early in the morning.. Now, how much are they willing to spend on cones :grin-FU:

OP, good thing you have a dashcam!

HKS PWR 03-27-2014 12:20 AM

To the people telling the OP to "continue parking there because it public property and that the neighbour has no merit": there are restrictions when parking in front of a home you do not own.

Bylaw No. 2849 Section 17.6(f)(i)]) states: An owner, registered owner, lessee or operator of a vehicle must not cause, allow or permit that vehicle to park on a street abutting premises used for residential or commercial purposes for more than 3 hours between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., provided that this limitation in time shall not apply where such premises are the property or residence of such person or an employer of such person

Parking when there is no signage | City of Vancouver

Judging by the diagram you've attached, the parking spot is definitely not in front of your home. But technically it's not "in front" of his home, either (it's to the side of his home). Without getting other parties involved, the prudent thing to do would be parking in front of your own home during the hours from 8:00AM to 6:00PM. Other than that, it's a free-for-all from 6:00PM through to 8:00AM!

320icar 03-27-2014 12:39 AM

Why the fuck can't they write "legal documents" in plain old fucking English.

"If it isn't your house, don't park infront of it for more than 3 hours"
Posted via RS Mobile

wstce92 03-27-2014 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8444634)
Why the fuck can't they write "legal documents" in plain old fucking English.

"If it isn't your house, don't park infront of it for more than 3 hours"
Posted via RS Mobile

Because then lawyers/law makers/politicians, etc wouldn't be able to feel special about themselves while they circle jerk each other off

Mike5.0 cammer 03-27-2014 08:19 AM

Parking when there is no signage | City of Vancouver If you read the link more carefully you'll see that it refers to nonresidents as you are a resident and the car is registered there the Douche canoe making threats has nothing on you, if he has the car towed you can have the charges reversed on him for having your car towed with out just cause

white rocket 03-27-2014 10:09 AM

I don't think a tow company would tow the car just because douche canoe says so. They would site Bylaws and make sure that they are justified to tow it. It is the bylaw infraction that they would be enforcing, not douche canoe's wishes.

underscore 03-27-2014 10:49 AM

In that diagram, where does said neighbour live?

wing_woo 03-27-2014 11:19 AM

Actually, the street you are parking on is not part of the 'block' that you are registered on. The 'block' you are registered on is the street of where your address is (ie. the street the front of your house faces). The perpendicular street is not the street that you 'live' on nor are you a resident of.
However, that being said, if your neighbour's house's address faces the same street you live on (ie. his address is the same as yours except different #), then technically speaking, he is not registered as living on that 'block' on the side either so he has no merits to have you towed for parking in 'his' spot. However, if he knew any better, he can say that you are not a resident of that block and are only allowed to park there for 3 hours or whatever the bylaw says.

l2_narain 03-27-2014 12:22 PM

Call 311 (if your in Vancouver) and asked to be transfer to by-law services (parking), explain your situation and see what they say.

Tone Loc 03-27-2014 12:35 PM

Neighbor lives in the corner house.

From my understanding, it is part of the "block" as there is a clearly marked sign saying No Parking "Except for residents of this block". Being that it is Vancouver and no house is actually facing that street, my understanding is that anyone who has a vehicle registered to that block/ side of the street may park there. Which my car is.

Like I said in the OP, I'd rather not park directly in front of my house due to it being a bike lane.. I have already spent quite a fair amount of money repairing my car thanks to cowards who would rather run away from damage they have caused rather than own up to it.

wing_woo 03-27-2014 01:13 PM

I base my comments on how it is near the PNE area. When they say no parking except residents of 'this block', it actually states the street as opposed to just saying 'this block'. It will say for example, 'No parking except residents of 2400 block Dundas Street' or something like that. Then on the perpendicular street, it'll say no parking except people on 'that' street or in some cases, have no restrictions listed as there are no house addresses on that block (ie. between the street you live on and the alley, there will be no addresses there and therefore no residential restrictions other than the standard city bylaws).

That's why I'm saying that unless his address is on that cross street, he can't say he is a resident of that block because that is not the 'street' he lives on based on his actual address. Hoping I still make sense here. But in a nutshell, he can't claim that is his spot.

maksimizer 03-27-2014 01:31 PM

Keep parking.

Butthurt is butthurt.

BrRsn 03-27-2014 03:22 PM

The only time I got a ticket for something like this is when I used to carpool to school.

My GF always drove so I'd drive to her house, park my car on her block for 8-12 hours, and go to school. Eventually one of the homeowners got pissed at me for doing this and I received a $70 ticket for "Parking for longer than 3 hours on a residential street my vehicle is not registered to" -- so I can see that happening if you're not registered to the block, but by-laws officers can look up your insurance registration address and as long as it all adds up, it's all good, no?

I come home from work/school at midnight sometimes and my entire block is taken up so i have to park half way up the block, never gotten a ticket for that.

Drow 03-27-2014 03:46 PM

im not siding with OP's neighbor here, by law he has a right to park there (if the posters in this thread are correct)

but srsly if i was that neighbor and i had that golden spot that isn't under a tree, then one of my neighbors came over and started parking there...

man i'd wanna cut his fcking nips off

underscore 03-27-2014 03:52 PM

On a similar note, what happens with stratas that have assigned parking spots? Can anyone from the strata get your car towed from a spot that isn't theirs if your cars registered address doesn't line up?

Yodamaster 03-27-2014 03:56 PM

Neighbor is a douche canoe.

NNT 03-28-2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8444963)
On a similar note, what happens with stratas that have assigned parking spots? Can anyone from the strata get your car towed from a spot that isn't theirs if your cars registered address doesn't line up?

The strata cant without the approval of the parking spot owner. but the owner of that spot have the right to do so. my building's strata advise that if your parking spot is taken, just take a pic to proof that a car parked at your spot and call tow truck company tow it directly.
If for some reason Strata want to tow a car away from an owned spot for reason like no valid license, not resident (some people rent out their spot which most place is not allowed to rent to non resident of the building). they just cant. but they can fines the spot owner for by-law violation.