REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Cars and how it relates to your dad

My father once told me that when he and my mother got married, he opted for the sensible choice of a 6 cylinder Plymouth Duster to drive while stationed at Loring, Maine. Throughout my childhood, he often remarked how he wish he got the 340 with the 4-speed instead.

Growing up, I always feared his fate; driving a 6 instead of an 8
Advertisement
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Old 03-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
My father once said he wanted a cheap beater.

He bought a 91 Corolla instead of a 93 Civic.

Growing up, I feared inheriting his decision. Do I inherit the Corolla, or buy my own Civic?
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 2,532 Times in 446 Posts
my dad once said he wanted the boxy mr2.

he bought a 93 civic coupe dx instead.

Growing up, I feared his fate; driving a fwd instead of a rwd
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

My dad drives a car. Now I'm driving a car too
Posted via RS Mobile
MTV Cribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
My dad had a glk and I had a forester, he feared that I'll take over the glk so I got a X3.

GLK vs X3

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #7
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
My dad influenced me to like mercs over beemers ever since i was a kid
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,930 Times in 504 Posts
I was gonna say something, but then I blanked out when I saw Drow's avatar.

Right, my dad drives worn out pieces of crap that he fixes up, and I've enjoyed DIY and learning because of that.
kakucaekz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #9
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
My father left before I was born. I never knew what kind of car he drove.

Growing up, I formed my own opinions on what kind of cars to like.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

This thread is gay
Posted via RS Mobile
dinamix is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
My dad had a new first generation RX7 when he was in his 20s.

My grandpa had a new second generation Toyota Supra when he was retired.

I wish one of them kept one of those cool cars for me when I first started driving.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #12
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
In the late 70's my dad wanted a new family car that sat 5 people. Bought a brand new brown Trans Am with a 6.6 litter engine, and guess who sat on the Trans tunnel on every trip? Me.

looked just like this except for cloth seats:

Old 03-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
My dad owned lots of cars before he got married and had kids, including a 1973 240Z with a stick shift. He owned two minivans while we were kids, but when we grew up, he bought a BMW. He's now retired and has two BMWs in his garage.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #14
I'm invisible

My dad was and still is a Toyota/Lexus fan boi.. and now I am too....
Old 03-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
my father once said he was gonna get a ferrari in hk, but then he ened up getting married with kids (& then married again with kids again) so he ended up with 94 honda accord to a 2001 toyota corolla/public transit (no lie)

i guess there is a lesson in my post, if your gonna have to choose between starting family or getting a ferrari, u have to think really careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:18 PM   #16
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
My Dad left when I was about 3 years old and he drove a motorcycle at the time....

...But....

...My mom had a 1966 6 cyl. Valiant then after that bought an almost new '76 Duster with A 6 in it. My very first car was a 1971 Duster with a 318 V8 in it! I had broken the 6 cyl. curse!

Now my '70 Dart has a 383 V8 in it. Big block FTW!

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2014, 11:19 PM   #17
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,930 Times in 504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
In the late 70's my dad wanted a new family car that sat 5 people. Bought a brand new brown Trans Am with a 6.6 litter engine, and guess who sat on the Trans tunnel on every trip? Me.

looked just like this except for cloth seats:
Damn, my dad also has a Trans Am. Except his is a 76, and he's restoring it slowly. Has a 455 just sitting at his shop, waiting. Engine in it right now is a 400 or something, and he has another 440 or something laying around too.

Such a nostalgia trip, I remember when he used to drive that when I was younger. Dat straight piped V8 goodness
kakucaekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:18 AM   #18
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
My Dad was always a GM guy since his immigration here back in the late 70's. In 92, he taught me that cars are expendable, but people are not. He wrote off his Olds Cutlass 2 days later..not sure if he was trying to prove a point.

I remember going to the dealership with him to buy a new car, and for the first time, he liked something Japanese made. It was a 92 240sx coupe. I remember begging him to buy it, and he almost did, until my mom showed up and made him buy a Pontiac Sunbird. Flashforward to 95 when the Sunbird was stolen, again I went with my dad to the dealership. This time, we had our eyes on the 95 240SX. It was one of the first ones in Vancouver, and again, my mom marched in and made him buy the Sunfire.

Over the years of owning his Cutlass, through the two Pontiacs, he always let me help when he did tuneups on the car. I was 3 when I picked up my first wrench, and it was the first time I heard a open header...anything. The exhaust hangers decided to just disintegrate, so my dad pulled it off, and we went to the exhaust shop with an open header 231 Buick v6 Rumbling through the cabin. It was supposed to be a 5 minute drive, but it took us 2 hours just laughing and having a blast the entire time. The old Italian guy at the exhaust shop threw in a aftermarket muffler, free of charge. He heard us driving up and down Hastings just wreaking havoc, and saw me beaming when we pulled in. Mom, was not happy.

After he passed, I promised myself that I would get an S13 as my first car. And I did, 3 of them.
I'm still a GM fanboy. Always have been, always will be.

Last edited by SpuGen; 03-28-2014 at 12:26 AM.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:14 AM   #19
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
I think my dad has influenced my car purchases a lot.

The first car I could remember my dad having was a civic. And I even remember to listen to the user "tape" talking about the general car maintenance and the weird sounding music they had when explaining the warning lights on the dash. Then my dad got a BMW 318 in the early 90s and stayed European since. (Range Rover, Porsche and a Bentley Flying Spur W12 coming soon)

So, my first car was logically a Honda, then an Acura and finally moving to BMW, Audi and Infiniti. My next car is probably another BMW or Porsche.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:35 AM   #20
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I think my dad has influenced my car purchases a lot.

The first car I could remember my dad having was a civic. And I even remember to listen to the user "tape" talking about the general car maintenance and the weird sounding music they had when explaining the warning lights on the dash. Then my dad got a BMW 318 in the early 90s and stayed European since. (Range Rover, Porsche and a Bentley Flying Spur W12 coming soon)

So, my first car was logically a Honda, then an Acura and finally moving to BMW, Audi and Infiniti. My next car is probably another BMW or Porsche.
Same with my dad in a way, had a BMW, stayed euro. And I've been trying to get a bmw ever since :| Why cant I just win the lotto!
KingKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:47 AM   #21
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
My dad was never into cars at all, I ended up getting the love for them and trucks on my own but wish I had some sort of influence growing up to be honest.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2014, 07:15 AM   #22
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
my dad's first car was a 1967 mustang with a 289 in it that he bought used in 1969. he loved that car. he still had it when he got married to my mom, but then after i was born it became clear that the mustang was not a practical family hauler and he had to sell it

fast forward to today and now i have a mustang... but i can't help but feel (irrational?) guilt that i was the reason why he had to sell his.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 03-28-2014 at 07:22 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2014, 07:16 AM   #23
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
my dad's first car was a 1967 mustang with a 289 in it that he bought used in 1969. he loved that car. he still had it when he got married to my mom, but then after i was born the writing was on the wall that the mustang was not a practical family hauler and he had to sell it

fast forward to today and i have a mustang... but i can't help but feel (irrational?) guilt that i was the reason why he had to sell his.
That would be a nice gift down the road if you can find one like he had and gave it to him on a big birthday or when he retires(if he hasn't already)
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #24
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
That would be a nice gift down the road if you can find one like he had and gave it to him on a big birthday or when he retires(if he hasn't already)
it has come up before, especially after watching tv shows like overhaulin but he's almost 80 now and not really into it anymore

does anyone have pics of their parents' first rides? i remember my dad showing me a black and white photo of him and his mustang when i was a kid (i can still remember the bell bottom jeans he was wearing), but that was a long time ago... i need to start digging
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 03-28-2014 at 07:13 PM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:31 AM   #25
Need my Daily Fix of RS

My Dad owned a new Chevy Cavalier when I was a kid before he bought a 94 Corolla(which is still being driven today). The POS Chevy stalled so many times, blew black smoke like it was a diesel and was so ugly that I promised myself that I will never buy a GM car. Trucks are fine, but not the cars. LOL
Posted via RS Mobile
tr0ubl3s0m3x is offline   Reply With Quote