REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-29-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Don't ignore US speeding tickets

Just heard about this recently:

B.C. drivers who ignore U.S. speeding tickets facing fines, jail - BC | Globalnews.ca

If convicted you will lose your nexus pass.

if a person with an overdue U.S. speeding ticket appears in court and the case is dismissed, they will get their Nexus card back.

However, if they pay a fine and plead guilty they will not be able to get their Nexus card back for 10 years. Saunders said a person cannot hold a Nexus card with one U.S. misdemeanor, or one Canadian Summary Offence.

Getting a reduced fine is still deemed convicted of the charge.
Advertisement

Last edited by racerman88; 03-29-2014 at 01:58 PM.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I heard about a story of someone not paying a parking ticket in the states, never went for years. Finally goes and gets arrested at the boarder with a huuuuuuge ass fine that was rediculous. He had to pay it or go to jail. Think it was 10k or something if I remember correctly. It was something retarded.
KingKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
http://www.revscene.net/forums/69389...ticket-wa.html

Discussed just recently in the police forum, and countless previous times in that same area as well.

SURPRISE the law of the land applies to everyone in that land. Who knew eh?

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKaze View Post
I heard about a story of someone not paying a parking ticket in the states, never went for years. Finally goes and gets arrested at the boarder with a huuuuuuge ass fine that was rediculous. He had to pay it or go to jail. Think it was 10k or something if I remember correctly. It was something retarded.
This is ridiculous...keeping a person in a prison will cost WAY more than $10k.

What a waste of tax, especially for a parking ticket.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
This is ridiculous...keeping a person in a prison will cost WAY more than $10k.

What a waste of tax, especially for a parking ticket.

JCT. Jesus Christ Timpo, they aren't locking them up for life. Even in Washington's most costly to run prison, Washington State Penitentiary the cost per inmate is only $122 per day. Let's suppose you rack up 10k of tickets and they throw you in prison for a month that's only going to cost them $3600. And I can guarantee that everyone that hears about that person is going to pay their tickets on time from that point on. Sounds like a fucking excellent use of tax dollars, bring that shit to Canada.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
JCT. Jesus Christ Timpo, they aren't locking them up for life. Even in Washington's most costly to run prison, Washington State Penitentiary the cost per inmate is only $122 per day. Let's suppose you rack up 10k of tickets and they throw you in prison for a month that's only going to cost them $3600. And I can guarantee that everyone that hears about that person is going to pay their tickets on time from that point on. Sounds like a fucking excellent use of tax dollars, bring that shit to Canada.
I don't know about that.

Say it's gonna cost them $3,600 to put someone in jail.
$10,000-$3,600=$6,400
They will still only get $6,400 instead of $10,000.

I don't think anyone deserves to go to jail for minor traffic violations like parking ticket or speeding ticket.

There are many people out there who can't instantaneously come up with $10,000. Which means they would have no choice but to go to jail.

If you forget to pay your speeding/parking ticket, I think it would be fair if government added reasonable amount of interest, but $10,000 is just pure stupidity.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
What I'm getting at is that even putting that person in prison, costing them $3600 and let's say forgoing the entire $10000 ticket the cost to Washington State realistically is $2500 (because really they'd be in a lower security institution) plus the cost of the initial ticket $100? and maybe $400 trying to enforce it? That adds up to $3000 and that will be easily offset by everyone else hearing about not paying a ticket and ending up in prison because if they ever have a ticket they're certainly going to put more effort into paying it off right away. Putting one person in prison at a cost of 3k is going to net more public awareness than spending 200k on an advertising campaign...

Quote:
I don't think anyone deserves to go to jail for minor traffic violations like parking ticket or speeding ticket.

There are many people out there who can't instantaneously come up with $10,000. Which means they would have no choice but to go to jail.

If you forget to pay your speeding/parking ticket, I think it would be fair if government added reasonable amount of interest, but $10,000 is just pure stupidity.

Sure, 10 grand is a big ask for almost everyone to pay. The easy solution in that case, provided that the story isn't hyperbole anyways is just to pay your ticket and keep your address up to date with DOT. Even if the ticket went missing, there's no reason to miss years of collection notices and reminders that would have been sent out.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:

Understand that they do atleast try to inform you and if you wait years or forget about it thats your problem not theirs.

They impose heavy fines on the people they catch doing this to punish them and show others that they aren't messing around, when you get a ticket you have to pay it.

Its not exactly rocket science, you got a ticket for doing something outside of the law where you were. It doesn't make any difference whether you are from there or not, you have to pay the consequences of what you did.

Also the person you quoted that from is just recounting a story he heard. People tend to blow that shit out of proportion. So their might not even be any truth to that $10K value.

EDIT: Finally found a good location to use that meme. Been saving it for awhile

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2014, 04:34 PM   #9
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Jail should only be for those who are dangerous to society, period.

Privatization is what causes people with parking tickets and guys carrying dime bags to go to jail.
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:27 AM   #10

I really hope you guys are joking.

It's a god damn parking ticket, it's NOT a big deal at all.
Something that is so common sense is not common sense in this topic.

Not everyone has spare time in their hand.
We all have life/work and sometimes in our lives we make minor mistakes like getting a parking ticket and just happens to forget it.

Say you were busy at work, you're on your quick lunch break, didn't know that you were not supposed to park there, and you got a parking violation ticket.
You get back to work and carry on and maybe you might just totally forget the ticket.

And many years later, you get this surprise just for a parking ticket.
I know it's your problem, NOT government's problem if you forget it. However it's not like you forgot that you committed a major traffic violations like hit and run, DUI, auto theft or street racing.

In summary, I still don't think jail and/or $10,000 fine is fair for a parking ticket.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:42 AM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

It is a big deal because they'd made it one. The value of a strong precedent works wonders here.

It doesn't matter if you feel otherwise. They're going to treat it seriously.
Posted via RS Mobile
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote