REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:10 AM   #26
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYP#11 View Post
Good game last night. Props for not cheap-shoting guys at the end, which typically happens in those kinds of games.
Good game, we're not a dirty team. We take beatings like men and move onto the next game. No need for that garbage in the league.
Advertisement
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 07:28 AM   #27
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Zomgbies Copper 2, here we go!
Posted via RS Mobile
gprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #28
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
Good game, we're not a dirty team. We take beatings like men and move onto the next game. No need for that garbage in the league.
It's too bad teams like yours are in the minority. Some of the bush-league shit I see at the rinks is amazing.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #29
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
It's too bad teams like yours are in the minority. Some of the bush-league shit I see at the rinks is amazing.
Some of the shit I went through in the crease with hotjoint and the boys this season blew me away. Numerous slashes, cross checks, slough foots, whatever they could throw at me. I took a skate to the face one time, and not a game went by where I didn't take a puck to the head. Some league refs blow that sort of thing down for goalie safety. Our refs chose to blow the game instead.

A good example is 30 seconds into our first playoff game I get checked into the twine by a net crashing forward. The prick landed on me, and rolled my ankle. Now I have 44:30 to go in what was a rough playoff game, with only one good leg. Crazy that we only lost that game by a single goal. But that made me more upset, wondering what would have happened if I didn't get run.

I'd love to see more respect in the league, but the truth is that hockey is a tough sport, played by an equal number of tough guys, and cowards. In most cases respect is neither given, nor earned. Nice to see that HYP recognized and gave props for good sportsmanship though. Hopefully that sort of thing will spread.

If not, I'm gonna blocker punch the next motherfucker stranding in my crease right in his bitch-ass kidney.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #30

Quote:
Well, most people don't stop to think that it's a beer league in the heat of the moment, we're not paid professional athletes with million dollar endorsements. We all have families to go home to and jobs the next day. If you get injured, no one is going to pay your bills. We remember that life has precedence over pride and stupidity in those situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Some of the shit I went through in the crease with hotjoint and the boys this season blew me away. Numerous slashes, cross checks, slough foots, whatever they could throw at me. I took a skate to the face one time, and not a game went by where I didn't take a puck to the head. Some league refs blow that sort of thing down for goalie safety. Our refs chose to blow the game instead.

A good example is 30 seconds into our first playoff game I get checked into the twine by a net crashing forward. The prick landed on me, and rolled my ankle. Now I have 44:30 to go in what was a rough playoff game, with only one good leg. Crazy that we only lost that game by a single goal. But that made me more upset, wondering what would have happened if I didn't get run.

I'd love to see more respect in the league, but the truth is that hockey is a tough sport, played by an equal number of tough guys, and cowards. In most cases respect is neither given, nor earned. Nice to see that HYP recognized and gave props for good sportsmanship though. Hopefully that sort of thing will spread.

If not, I'm gonna blocker punch the next motherfucker stranding in my crease right in his bitch-ass kidney.
I miss ice hockey already
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #31

I think that the lack of respect is attributed to the culture that in beer leagues bodying a guy clean and fair means it's fair game for the other guy to start the chicken-shit stickwork and cheap hits.

I like to think of myself as a pretty easy-going, but competitive guy. If an opponent beats me fair and square, I give props. If he wants to chirp me after, it's water off my back. But I hate when guys that are fairly good beat noobs and chirp them after. I'll end up playing that guy hard, but definitely no stick/illegal work. What do I get in return? Chicken-shit cheap shots.

I think we can all agree that in VIHL/PICH more than in ice604/ashl, there's a certain demographic that is more likely to become violent after losses/getting big-bodied. If there's one thing that I've learned playing inline, it's to protect yourself at all times before anything else. I definitely don't feel the same way when I'm playing ice hockey league games.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #32
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Quote:
I think that the lack of respect is attributed to the culture that in beer leagues bodying a guy clean and fair means it's fair game for the other guy to start the chicken-shit stickwork and cheap hits.

I like to think of myself as a pretty easy-going, but competitive guy. If an opponent beats me fair and square, I give props. If he wants to chirp me after, it's water off my back. But I hate when guys that are fairly good beat noobs and chirp them after. I'll end up playing that guy hard, but definitely no stick/illegal work. What do I get in return? Chicken-shit cheap shots.

I think we can all agree that in VIHL/PICH more than in ice604/ashl, there's a certain demographic that is more likely to become violent after losses/getting big-bodied. If there's one thing that I've learned playing inline, it's to protect yourself at all times before anything else. I definitely don't feel the same way when I'm playing ice hockey league games.
We just got moved up to div 3 in roller (with 2 games left in season wtf), but then just played a div 2 team for some reason, with a mix of guys from div 1/2. So most of our team was playing against guys 2+ divs higher than they were used to. It was so obvious how much better they were then us, they were literally joking around the whole time and laughing when our players screwed up or were dangled. No class at all. I tried to step up a bit to at least show them we have some play, and then the cheap shots started. Hacks, crosschecks, not just on me but on my teammates as well. No need for that, or heckling when you're absolutely dominating.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
We just got moved up to div 3 in roller (with 2 games left in season wtf), but then just played a div 2 team for some reason, with a mix of guys from div 1/2. So most of our team was playing against guys 2+ divs higher than they were used to. It was so obvious how much better they were then us, they were literally joking around the whole time and laughing when our players screwed up or were dangled. No class at all. I tried to step up a bit to at least show them we have some play, and then the cheap shots started. Hacks, crosschecks, not just on me but on my teammates as well. No need for that, or heckling when you're absolutely dominating.
Honestly I find that as a roller-only thing. In ice hockey I've been on both ends of a rout and in no case did the winning team rub it in. All teams that were winning even tried to reduce the scoring just by ragging the puck or not pressuring the other team when they recover the puck. No chirps, no dirty plays, everyone goes home knowing their place and with the respect of the other team.

In roller? Good luck with that. In about 80% of routs I've been a part of (most of the time I'm on the bad end given I play on a family+friends team in a really low div) the winning team tries to run up the score and incessantly chirps. Absolutely no class. Which brings me back to my point about a certain demographic representing a larger proportion of inline hockey being a big cause for the lack of respect/increased violence.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #34

Yea I don't notice it in ice either, only roller....
Old 04-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #35
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
i've noticed it in ice, but maybe it's cuz i play in a lower div than some of you guys. i mean guys who play the body, and guys who play to hit the body. guys who liek to give cheap shots to your lower back while you're in front of the net. i know that standing there that stuff comes with the territory, but there's always other ways to move a guy out of the way. although i will say it happens way more in roller than ice tho
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #36
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,165 Times in 2,401 Posts
Quote:
Honestly I find that as a roller-only thing. In ice hockey I've been on both ends of a rout and in no case did the winning team rub it in. All teams that were winning even tried to reduce the scoring just by ragging the puck or not pressuring the other team when they recover the puck. No chirps, no dirty plays, everyone goes home knowing their place and with the respect of the other team.
Varies from team to team. On more than one occasion against HYP on ice, they were up by a handful of goals thanks to their ringer (who netted 100+ pts playing in the lowest tier, might I add) and their bench would give us the bronx cheer when someone tripped or whiffed on a breakaway.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Varies from team to team. On more than one occasion against HYP on ice, they were up by a handful of goals thanks to their ringer (who netted 100+ pts playing in the lowest tier, might I add) and their bench would give us the bronx cheer when someone tripped or whiffed on a breakaway.
I'm not painting every inline team as being a bag of dicks, but rather just outlining that the general attitude in roller hockey games is much chippier/cocky/chicken-shit compared to ice hockey. I'm just speaking from personal experience.

When I was playing PICH I was in the co-ed div (last one I think). Ringers would rack up the score and actually pick on the girls who can't skate. Brutal sportsmanship. Fast forward to Chrome II VIHL last year- same shit.

On another topic- We dumped our "leading goal scorer" because he wasn't a real fit in terms of skill level even though we were getting killed in ChromeII. It sucked because even though he was a friend of the team, having him on the team meant we couldn't move lower to a div where we really belonged.

This year after dumping the guy? Bryan puts us in the same div. I know it's a lot of work to head the league and they must put up with a lot of shit, but there's no reason the team I'm a part of should be in the div we're in with the number of noobs we have. It sucks how there are only a set number of re-tiering opportunities. It's easier for sandbagging to happen, which at the lower divs is absolutely ridiculous.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Nhan View Post
i've noticed it in ice, but maybe it's cuz i play in a lower div than some of you guys. i mean guys who play the body, and guys who play to hit the body. guys who liek to give cheap shots to your lower back while you're in front of the net. i know that standing there that stuff comes with the territory, but there's always other ways to move a guy out of the way. although i will say it happens way more in roller than ice tho
I meant the cocky stuff I don't notice as much in ice. The hacking is definitely still there lol

Happy Belated btw
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #39
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:

On another topic- We dumped our "leading goal scorer" because he wasn't a real fit in terms of skill level even though we were getting killed in ChromeII. It sucked because even though he was a friend of the team, having him on the team meant we couldn't move lower to a div where we really belonged.

This year after dumping the guy? Bryan puts us in the same div.

i'll be recommending your team to move down a tier, especially since lester told me to keep my head up and only me

since he's on ice team.. i can't run at him
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
i'll be recommending your team to move down a tier, especially since lester told me to keep my head up and only me

since he's on ice team.. i can't run at him
Hhahah you're in the know with Bryan? Personally I think we can be bumped down just one div and it'd be competitive. We just played our first game against a team that was in our div last year and it was pretty close. But I'd be willing to vouch that their top guys weren't really trying that hard lol

What team are you on? I'll try and get in the way so you don't get hit lol

But then I might get an ejection because of the 3rd man-in rule
Old 04-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #41
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
The horror!

I know I've never once been chirped while playing
HYP#11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #42
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
Playing my first roller game in net of the season tonight. My knees are going to be destroyed, need some roller flys..
Posted via RS Mobile
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
Playing my first roller game in net of the season tonight. My knees are going to be destroyed, need some roller flys..
Posted via RS Mobile
Good luck Philly!
Old 04-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
Friend... it sucks lol

Pad covers help only a bit. If you check out GSBB there are a few hacks to help you with slides.

For me it's my groins and hip flexors. Since I can't slide, it becomes a battle of attrition with shuffles and short "hops" to get from side to side.

And it gets so damn not. Wait until summer when it's a mint 15-20 inside. I almost passed out when I had to sub in net.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2014, 06:40 AM   #45
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
I love my rollerflys. Biggest improvement in net since learning where to stand.

I use a little slippery tape to cover the areas that the fly's don't cover. Other goalies are so jealous. They see me sliding and they be hating.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2014, 06:48 AM   #46

Wow add me to that list of jealous goalies
Old 04-15-2014, 09:24 AM   #47
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
Good luck Philly!
Thanks Dave! We got destroyed.. I let in a few weak ones, I thought I was playing ice for a bit and tried to slide into a few shots..that didnt really work out haha
Posted via RS Mobile
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #48
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I used to look forward to Roller every summer but in the past few years all that shit you pointed out really turned me away from the game especially league play. I would consider doing drop in/scrim but only if I really knew the group well. This summer is prob the first time I have never committed FT to roller. Sub here and there for my team but mostly committed to my ASHL/Coast teams.

Quote:
I'm not painting every inline team as being a bag of dicks, but rather just outlining that the general attitude in roller hockey games is much chippier/cocky/chicken-shit compared to ice hockey. I'm just speaking from personal experience.

When I was playing PICH I was in the co-ed div (last one I think). Ringers would rack up the score and actually pick on the girls who can't skate. Brutal sportsmanship. Fast forward to Chrome II VIHL last year- same shit.

This year after dumping the guy? Bryan puts us in the same div. I know it's a lot of work to head the league and they must put up with a lot of shit, but there's no reason the team I'm a part of should be in the div we're in with the number of noobs we have. It sucks how there are only a set number of re-tiering opportunities. It's easier for sandbagging to happen, which at the lower divs is absolutely ridiculous.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #49

Yeah I took a good 5 years away from inline because it wasn't as fun.

The only reason I'm back is because my cousin asked if I wanted to be a part of a family/close friends team, so of course I jumped on. If it wasn't for the fact that I'd be seeing everyone every game, I probably would've quit after the first year.

It's not all doom and gloom though. The one real positive to inline? More girls show up to games in summer clothes than they do in ice hockey!

This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #50

Quote:
The one real positive to inline? More girls show up to games in summer clothes than they do in ice hockey!