REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Audio, Video, & Security Tech

Audio, Video, & Security Tech This forum is brought to you by Sounds Good Auto in Coquitlam and Burnaby.

Enter SPL Competitions, display your Setups, DIY Projects

Old 04-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #1
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
Cree LED bulb headlight conversion write-up *pics*

It all started about a month ago when my friend came by my shop with his 2003 Ford Exploder. He had purchased a new set of 6000K Cree LED bulb conversions for it and had me install them. I was pleasantly surprised to see how bright, white and focused they were.

Now, my 1970 Dodge Dart has sealed beam halogen lights as stock which are very dim, yellow and, well, 1970. I got rid of the sealed beams and replaced the lenses with glass H4 conversions. They have the lines in them as well so they emulate the stock sealed beams.

I made sure that I got some good quality 6000K H4 Cree LED bulbs with high and low beam capabilities. I also wanted to fan cool the bulbs as I heard they get quite hot. There are other kits that are just bulbs only with no ballasts which are cheaper but only put out about 600-800 lumens. If you opt for the ones with ballasts then you are getting into a much brighter 2200 lumens per bulb. Try to stay within the 5000-6000K color temperature for a nice, white light. Kits are now available locally through SoundsGood with full warranty!

Pictured below is the kit itself and the installation which was really easy to do. I was worried that the bulb, fan and wires would be too deep to fit in the factory mounting location but was happy that it all fit without a problem. I squeezed the factory light socket out of its normal spot and in behind the grille. I temporarily mounted it with zap straps to the original headlight wiring harness. I will find a better place to mount it more permanently. I did a couple of left/right comparisons with the drivers side being OEM and the passenger side being the Cree and H4 conversion kit. The color and brightness of light is pretty dramatic but NOT a heat score like HIDs. I had to do a little re-aiming afterwards but otherwise it looked great.

I am very happy with my purchase! I have a much whiter, brighter light without the 'in your face' light that HID's bring. They will last 30,000 hours and don't have any warm up time either. Highly recommended!

**These LED Cree bulbs may or may not be legal in your province, state, country or planet. Installing ANY aftermarket lighting is at your own risk and my personal recommendations do not reflect Revscene. Hell, they don't even reflect myself. Just sayin'**
Advertisement

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:23 AM   #2
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
I've been running a set of these in my truck for about 6 months - they have a good light output and cut-off. The high beam is no good though in my housing.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

That price is pretty good, care to share where you got them at?
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx042003 View Post
That price is pretty good, care to share where you got them at?
We sell them now at SoundsGood!

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote