REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   putting a side car on a bicycle (https://www.revscene.net/forums/694241-putting-side-car-bicycle.html)

haymura 04-08-2014 09:12 AM

putting a side car on a bicycle

wasnt quite sure which topic i should put this on...

Anyone know where i can get a side car installed on my bike?

looks like this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-l2V3qAmCSG...Sidecar-09.JPG

haymura 04-08-2014 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX_Speed_7 (Post 8451722)
This falls under how to look like a fag 101
Posted via RS Mobile

well i guess i know where to get tips from since your the expert on that.

pingu81 04-08-2014 10:27 AM

On a SIDE note (no pun intended), how is it even possible to use the right pedal of that contraption? Seems a bit awkward in the pic with not much clearance between the bars.

Traum 04-08-2014 10:39 AM

I'd try contacting these guys:

Dream Cycle - Custom Bikes

and see if they can custom build one for you. But I'd strongly recommend you to keep this in mind -- the side car will add quite a bit of weight, and if you ever intend to actually have a person sitting in it, it'll add even more weight. All of that needs to be moved by some sort of power.

The Smike in your picture seems to be an electric / electric-assist bike (or at least, it has a electric hub motor in the front wheel). It seems to me that it'll be quite difficult to power that with our own 2 feet.

haymura 04-08-2014 10:40 AM

i noticed that too when i looked at the picture but i think it just wasnt installed properly. I've seen other ones that have a lot of space to pedal.

I need this because my cousin is coming over and he is paraplegic so i wanted to take him around Stanley park so he can enjoy the scenic view.

haymura 04-08-2014 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8451748)
I'd try contacting these guys:

Dream Cycle - Custom Bikes

and see if they can custom build one for you. But I'd strongly recommend you to keep this in mind -- the side car will add quite a bit of weight, and if you ever intend to actually have a person sitting in it, it'll add even more weight. All of that needs to be moved by some sort of power.

The Smike in your picture seems to be an electric / electric-assist bike (or at least, it has a electric hub motor in the front wheel). It seems to me that it'll be quite difficult to power that with our own 2 feet.

Thanks Traum! ill give them a call. ive done sidecars before with 2 ppl riding and i find it alright. Its definitely a lot of effort but i could also use a good exercise. I just want my cousin to be able to enjoy Stanley park.

heleu 04-08-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haymura (Post 8451749)
i noticed that too when i looked at the picture but i think it just wasnt installed properly. I've seen other ones that have a lot of space to pedal.

I need this because my cousin is coming over and he is paraplegic so i wanted to take him around Stanley park so he can enjoy the scenic view.

Good on you. My wife had a broken foot and I pushed her around the seawall in a wheelchair before. It took around a leisurely ~2 hours so it's doable without a bike.

ill.stance 04-09-2014 08:41 PM

i bet you feel like a real asshole eh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX_Speed_7 (Post 8451722)
This falls under how to look like a fag 101
Posted via RS Mobile

Quote:

Originally Posted by haymura (Post 8451749)

Jas29 04-09-2014 11:02 PM

My boss is a quad I'll ask him if he knows anybody that can do it for you or if its possible to rent one. When do you need it by?
Posted via RS Mobile

haymura 04-10-2014 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jas29 (Post 8452786)
My boss is a quad I'll ask him if he knows anybody that can do it for you or if its possible to rent one. When do you need it by?
Posted via RS Mobile

My cousin is coming in 2nd week of June so i got some time. Thanks bro!

distanc3 04-10-2014 11:55 AM

Haymura,

In case you cant locate a fabricator to make you an attachment, there are "Duet Tandem" rentals by a local non profit organisation. Detail and contact information is located at the bottom of the page Reach Child and Youth Development Society - Reach Child and Youth Development Society

No affiliation just google'd around for you and that's the best I can provide.

I'm on a few cycling forums and I'll ask around also.

PS, good on you for taking your cousin out.

Zedbra 04-10-2014 07:31 PM

What about towing him in a Chariot trailer? I have one here you could borrow

bcrdukes 04-11-2014 08:14 AM

+1 on a trailer. It will be much easier to ride around with as opposed to the one in the photo above.

ZN6 04-11-2014 08:26 AM

wouldn't any of the specialty bike shops carry a wide range that would include a bike like the OP picture? Most of them are on west 4th, so you could potentially ride along the seawall around stanley park.

Either that or the end of Denman and georgia has a few bike shops that you can rent.

The good thing about the trail around stanley park is that it's almost completely level. The one bad thing is that there are those gates that you have to go through that might be too narrow to get the bike through to the parts where you need to walk the bike and the bike path is raised over the walking path.

Hard to explain but those who've ridden there would know what I'm talking about. Might be a bit problematic since your cousin is paraplegic.

haymura 04-11-2014 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZN6 (Post 8453559)
wouldn't any of the specialty bike shops carry a wide range that would include a bike like the OP picture? Most of them are on west 4th, so you could potentially ride along the seawall around stanley park.

Either that or the end of Denman and georgia has a few bike shops that you can rent.

The good thing about the trail around stanley park is that it's almost completely level. The one bad thing is that there are those gates that you have to go through that might be too narrow to get the bike through to the parts where you need to walk the bike and the bike path is raised over the walking path.

Hard to explain but those who've ridden there would know what I'm talking about. Might be a bit problematic since your cousin is paraplegic.

I know what you are talking about in regards to those gates that you have to weave along. the way around it is you go through the road with the cars then just go back down to the seawall path again.

renting is my last option. i dont want to keep renting as it does start to add up and at least this way i can also take him to other parks without having to find a rental place close by and having to count the hours.

Zedbra 04-11-2014 10:41 PM

Why not consider a Kona Ute and have it modified? These bikes are everywhere up here, often with two kids on the back.

KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | COMMUTER | UTE

haymura 04-12-2014 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedbra (Post 8454077)
Why not consider a Kona Ute and have it modified? These bikes are everywhere up here, often with two kids on the back.

KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | COMMUTER | UTE

doesnt look comfortable to sit on but ill check it out and see.

thanks!

azncreationz 04-12-2014 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedbra (Post 8453282)
What about towing him in a Chariot trailer? I have one here you could borrow

I don't think so, all the Chariot trailers are designed for kids, with a weight limit of 100lbs, so unless he's under that, I don't advise it.
With that said, there are adult bike trailers, such as this:
Adult Size Bike Trailer (Special Needs) | Wike Bicycle Trailers - The Walk and Bike Company
and Wike is a Canadian company to boot!

Jas29 04-17-2014 02:02 PM

I asked the people that work on my bosses chair and he said it would cost way to much for them to desgin and manufacture it.

He said to try Tetra

Tetra Society of North America
Posted via RS Mobile

Boosted6262 04-29-2014 05:46 PM

Hqg
Posted via RS Mobile