REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS
 
haymura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,470
Thanked 318 Times in 124 Posts
putting a side car on a bicycle

wasnt quite sure which topic i should put this on...


Anyone know where i can get a side car installed on my bike?

looks like this:


Advertisement
__________________
My Feedback
haymura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS
 
haymura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,470
Thanked 318 Times in 124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Speed_7 View Post
This falls under how to look like a fag 101
Posted via RS Mobile


well i guess i know where to get tips from since your the expert on that.
__________________
My Feedback
haymura is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
pingu81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission
Posts: 694
Thanked 682 Times in 129 Posts
On a SIDE note (no pun intended), how is it even possible to use the right pedal of that contraption? Seems a bit awkward in the pic with not much clearance between the bars.
pingu81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
Traum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise, BC
Posts: 3,106
Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,030 Posts
I'd try contacting these guys:

Dream Cycle - Custom Bikes

and see if they can custom build one for you. But I'd strongly recommend you to keep this in mind -- the side car will add quite a bit of weight, and if you ever intend to actually have a person sitting in it, it'll add even more weight. All of that needs to be moved by some sort of power.

The Smike in your picture seems to be an electric / electric-assist bike (or at least, it has a electric hub motor in the front wheel). It seems to me that it'll be quite difficult to power that with our own 2 feet.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS
 
haymura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,470
Thanked 318 Times in 124 Posts
i noticed that too when i looked at the picture but i think it just wasnt installed properly. I've seen other ones that have a lot of space to pedal.

I need this because my cousin is coming over and he is paraplegic so i wanted to take him around Stanley park so he can enjoy the scenic view.
__________________
My Feedback
haymura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS
 
haymura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,470
Thanked 318 Times in 124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I'd try contacting these guys:

Dream Cycle - Custom Bikes

and see if they can custom build one for you. But I'd strongly recommend you to keep this in mind -- the side car will add quite a bit of weight, and if you ever intend to actually have a person sitting in it, it'll add even more weight. All of that needs to be moved by some sort of power.

The Smike in your picture seems to be an electric / electric-assist bike (or at least, it has a electric hub motor in the front wheel). It seems to me that it'll be quite difficult to power that with our own 2 feet.

Thanks Traum! ill give them a call. ive done sidecars before with 2 ppl riding and i find it alright. Its definitely a lot of effort but i could also use a good exercise. I just want my cousin to be able to enjoy Stanley park.
__________________
My Feedback
haymura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
heleu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rmd
Posts: 887
Thanked 395 Times in 183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haymura View Post
i noticed that too when i looked at the picture but i think it just wasnt installed properly. I've seen other ones that have a lot of space to pedal.

I need this because my cousin is coming over and he is paraplegic so i wanted to take him around Stanley park so he can enjoy the scenic view.
Good on you. My wife had a broken foot and I pushed her around the seawall in a wheelchair before. It took around a leisurely ~2 hours so it's doable without a bike.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #8
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
 
ill.stance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: surrey
Posts: 76
Thanked 76 Times in 16 Posts
i bet you feel like a real asshole eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Speed_7 View Post
This falls under how to look like a fag 101
Posted via RS Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by haymura View Post

I need this because my cousin is coming over and he is paraplegic so i wanted to take him around Stanley park so he can enjoy the scenic view.
ill.stance is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2014, 12:02 AM   #9
2 Wheelin' Mod
 
Jas29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Surrey
Posts: 790
Thanked 410 Times in 166 Posts
My boss is a quad I'll ask him if he knows anybody that can do it for you or if its possible to rent one. When do you need it by?
Posted via RS Mobile
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS
 
haymura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,470
Thanked 318 Times in 124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas29 View Post
My boss is a quad I'll ask him if he knows anybody that can do it for you or if its possible to rent one. When do you need it by?
Posted via RS Mobile


My cousin is coming in 2nd week of June so i got some time. Thanks bro!
__________________
My Feedback
haymura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #11
RS controls my life!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: vancouver
Posts: 753
Thanked 210 Times in 71 Posts
Haymura,

In case you cant locate a fabricator to make you an attachment, there are "Duet Tandem" rentals by a local non profit organisation. Detail and contact information is located at the bottom of the page Reach Child and Youth Development Society$-$Reach Child and Youth Development Society

No affiliation just google'd around for you and that's the best I can provide.

I'm on a few cycling forums and I'll ask around also.

PS, good on you for taking your cousin out.
distanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #12
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square
 
Zedbra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Squampton
Posts: 1,404
Thanked 1,736 Times in 553 Posts
What about towing him in a Chariot trailer? I have one here you could borrow
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #13
RS Veteran
 
bcrdukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YYZ / YUL
Posts: 24,828
Thanked 6,596 Times in 2,598 Posts
+1 on a trailer. It will be much easier to ride around with as opposed to the one in the photo above.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy
Fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
no one said being a hipster was cheap.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #14
ZN6
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Van
Posts: 1,689
Thanked 1,571 Times in 601 Posts
wouldn't any of the specialty bike shops carry a wide range that would include a bike like the OP picture? Most of them are on west 4th, so you could potentially ride along the seawall around stanley park.

Either that or the end of Denman and georgia has a few bike shops that you can rent.

The good thing about the trail around stanley park is that it's almost completely level. The one bad thing is that there are those gates that you have to go through that might be too narrow to get the bike through to the parts where you need to walk the bike and the bike path is raised over the walking path.

Hard to explain but those who've ridden there would know what I'm talking about. Might be a bit problematic since your cousin is paraplegic.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #15
My homepage has been set to RS
 
haymura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,470
Thanked 318 Times in 124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
wouldn't any of the specialty bike shops carry a wide range that would include a bike like the OP picture? Most of them are on west 4th, so you could potentially ride along the seawall around stanley park.

Either that or the end of Denman and georgia has a few bike shops that you can rent.

The good thing about the trail around stanley park is that it's almost completely level. The one bad thing is that there are those gates that you have to go through that might be too narrow to get the bike through to the parts where you need to walk the bike and the bike path is raised over the walking path.

Hard to explain but those who've ridden there would know what I'm talking about. Might be a bit problematic since your cousin is paraplegic.


I know what you are talking about in regards to those gates that you have to weave along. the way around it is you go through the road with the cars then just go back down to the seawall path again.

renting is my last option. i dont want to keep renting as it does start to add up and at least this way i can also take him to other parks without having to find a rental place close by and having to count the hours.
__________________
My Feedback
haymura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:41 PM   #16
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square
 
Zedbra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Squampton
Posts: 1,404
Thanked 1,736 Times in 553 Posts
Why not consider a Kona Ute and have it modified? These bikes are everywhere up here, often with two kids on the back.

KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | COMMUTER | UTE
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:06 AM   #17
My homepage has been set to RS
 
haymura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,470
Thanked 318 Times in 124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
Why not consider a Kona Ute and have it modified? These bikes are everywhere up here, often with two kids on the back.

KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | COMMUTER | UTE

doesnt look comfortable to sit on but ill check it out and see.

thanks!
__________________
My Feedback
haymura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #18
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS
 
azncreationz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: BBY North
Posts: 1,508
Thanked 184 Times in 128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
What about towing him in a Chariot trailer? I have one here you could borrow
I don't think so, all the Chariot trailers are designed for kids, with a weight limit of 100lbs, so unless he's under that, I don't advise it.
With that said, there are adult bike trailers, such as this:
Adult Size Bike Trailer (Special Needs) | Wike Bicycle Trailers - The Walk and Bike Company
and Wike is a Canadian company to boot!
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #19
2 Wheelin' Mod
 
Jas29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Surrey
Posts: 790
Thanked 410 Times in 166 Posts
I asked the people that work on my bosses chair and he said it would cost way to much for them to desgin and manufacture it.

He said to try Tetra

Tetra Society of North America
Posted via RS Mobile
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Abbotsford
Posts: 26
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hqg
Posted via RS Mobile
Boosted6262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net