REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 04-10-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
RS controls my life!

coilover help!

hi guys,

i picked a jdm evo 4 couple of years ago that came with hks coilovers. i need help adjusting the suspension so the car sits better on my summer wheels but the coilovers are stuck. i tried some pb blaster and lots of wd40 but i failed.

i need a shop that can adjust my coilovers so it sits just right with my new setup. any recommendations?

thanks in advance.

josel
Advertisement
josel_atr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Same thing happened with me. I'm actually taking it to Drivehard today for some lowness
Posted via RS Mobile
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Is your issue that the locking nut will not break loose OR that you can not rotate the cylinder to adjust the height?
pingu81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
Same thing happened with me. I'm actually taking it to Drivehard today for some lowness
Posted via RS Mobile
cool, please let me know how it goes! feel free to PM me for some feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu81 View Post
Is your issue that the locking nut will not break loose OR that you can not rotate the cylinder to adjust the height?
the locking nut is stuck.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

The end of the adjuster wrench should be narrow enough to get a pipe over it. Try that to get more leverage. Have someone hold the notch of the wrench around the locking nut so it doesn't slip off.
pingu81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Drive hard did a pretty good job. Got my car lowered to #stancenation stylez
Edit for detail: my coils were pretty much seized and the springs themselves were old hence they didn't want to move. The guys at drive hard also had the same problem and it took them quite an effort to drop it to my desired height
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by SpeedStars; 04-10-2014 at 01:44 PM.
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu81 View Post
The end of the adjuster wrench should be narrow enough to get a pipe over it. Try that to get more leverage. Have someone hold the notch of the wrench around the locking nut so it doesn't slip off.
This is the first thing to try. The second thing to try is striking one of the teeth with a center punch/hammer. This is as basic an issue as there is, I'm surprised people got to shops for it. Coat the threads of the coilover with anti-seize or marine grease to prevent it happening again.
Posted via RS Mobile
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #8
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 2,028 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
This is the first thing to try. The second thing to try is striking one of the teeth with a center punch/hammer. This is as basic an issue as there is, I'm surprised people got to shops for it. Coat the threads of the coilover with anti-seize or marine grease to prevent it happening again.
Posted via RS Mobile
exactly that.
i prefer a flat head screwdriver and a hammer. you can stick the head into the tooth and smack the back of the hammer to get it loose. worked for me!
Nicotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:31 AM   #9
RS controls my life!

there is another problem, the car didnt come with a coilover wrench.

i also thought about using a flat haead screw driver an a hammer but i am too worried to round the teeth out.

ill leave it to the experienced guys to work on it. finding coilovers exactly made for my car is pretty though. i dont want to risk making a mistake working on it by myself.