REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 04-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #26
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
I shoot. Member of Oceola Fish and Game club in Kelowna/Lake Country but shoot 50% there, 50% in the bush.

Got into shooting originally to get a shotgun for bear defense when camping solo a million miles from anywhere, and quickly got hooked. Mainly shoot for fun, but will get into hunting in a year or 2 as well.

Currently have these 2 badboys, with a Rem700P-LTR on the way as I want to get into precision shooting to 800 yards +.

Spoiler!

Also have a scope and bipod for the SR and shoot that out to 150+ yards but its not really meant for accuracy
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #27
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I shoot as well. Member of Abby. Have everything from shotguns, ARs, handguns. Precision rifles.

Got into it with trap shooting. Then worked at a tactical store and instantly got crazy into tac rifle and such.

Would love to get more into precision shooting though.
Posted via RS Mobile
lungfish23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #28
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I have a PAL and RPAL but don't take advantage of the latter at all. I strictly shoot in the bush. I don't see a lot of appeal to shooting in ranges. I got into it through going out with friends that hunt so there being guns in the camp. It's a good time. I'd suggest staying clear of the pseudo redneck shitshow that is shooting around sylvester/stave in mission if you're into going out to the bush.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #29
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
got my PAL, but no firearms yet.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #30
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Dude, I've been eyeing the Tavor Gen2 in FDE as well. Looks like an absolute beauty. The reviews are great on it too.

It isn't that expensive either but man, I just can't justify 2.5k on a single gun at the moment.
doood, I want to get it so badddd, but cant hide that from the wifey.....lol

Someday I guess, I also want to build a short barrel AR......

Too many hobbies, not enough $$$
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fT-z33wor View Post
I'm a member with PCDHFC as well, just got into it this year.

edit:

had my eyes set on the Daniel Defense AR this year but I under estimated the cost my bike build for this track season. So it's the bike first

I currently shoot a gen4 g17
lol, we're into the same hobbies.....

We should ride there on bikes and shoot guns....... that'd sweet

DD's ARs are sick, check out the DD's MK18 and PWS's MK 102, both are my dream rifles....
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #32
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
Shooting gets pretty expensive.
I don't have my license, but my friend does and I've been out shooting with him three times.

Because i'm not a member at the gun range, you pay $30-35 as an entrance fee.
Then you pay for ammo.

He had an AR 15 and I think ammo for that was either 5 or 10 cents per bullet. He also had a bigger long range rifle and ammo for that was like $0.50, then his shot gun was also around $0.50 cents per round. I'm not quite sure about the numbers, but when we went to buy ammo at the store, we spent about $150 on ammo.

So the entire day cost me around $100 including ammo and the range fee. Not something I could do on the regular.

By the way, shooting the AR15 standing up was next to impossible. When you're seated and the gun is stationary, it is pretty easy. But, as soon as you stand up the cross hare feels like you're on a boat. The movies make shooting a gun look so easy, it is significantly more difficult to shoot standing up. Great experience though.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #33
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
By the way, shooting the AR15 standing up was next to impossible. When you're seated and the gun is stationary, it is pretty easy. But, as soon as you stand up the cross hare feels like you're on a boat. The movies make shooting a gun look so easy, it is significantly more difficult to shoot standing up. Great experience though.
learning to shoot off hand isnt all that hard. i shoot my bolt action cz with iron sites off hand without too much trouble. i would say that once you have the technique drilled down its practice practice practice.

cool to see so many RS'ers into shooting.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #34
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
I got my RPAL/PAL in May 2013 ... since then I've been shooting with a friend and he's slowly trying to push me towards owning my own rifle (currently stuck deciding between an SKS and a 22)

People who don't take the gun course think shooting is a big joke with a bunch of rednecks running around emptying mags, but after going to a real gun range they take safety pretty seriously.

tl;dr -- don't make friends off revscene, they'll introduce you to guns and make you buy one
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #35
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
I got my RPAL/PAL in May 2013 ... since then I've been shooting with a friend and he's slowly trying to push me towards owning my own rifle (currently stuck deciding between an SKS and a 22)

People who don't take the gun course think shooting is a big joke with a bunch of rednecks running around emptying mags, but after going to a real gun range they take safety pretty seriously.

tl;dr -- don't make friends off revscene, they'll introduce you to guns and make you buy one
i think semi's get boring with the 5 round mag cap. even if you're running an AR platform with the LAR15 mags its still only 10 rounds. i prefer shooting bolt guns primarily; got my eyes set on a ruger gunsite scout for some large calibre fun

i'd go with the .22lr first then move onto the sks after
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #36
HELP ME PLS!!!

yeah, i plan on getting .22lr as my first calibre. ammo is cheap, easy to load.

I've been eyeing the gunsite too. I think getting one in .308 win and shooting military surplus 7.62 NATO would be pretty cheap too.

They're selling a canadian version on wolverine supplies. Outta my price range though. I like how it comes with a picanny rail, easy to mount scopes onto it. Not sure how to get scopes sighted yet. I'm thinking either a gunsmith or someone at a range would know how. I heard that the people out at the abbotsford range are real nice about it.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #37
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

g34
usually at pcdhfc

expensive hobby lol. haven't gone in 6 months.
Ichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #38
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubl3_H View Post
doood, I want to get it so badddd, but cant hide that from the wifey.....lol

Someday I guess, I also want to build a short barrel AR......

Too many hobbies, not enough $$$
hahaha tell me about it.

If I end up getting one, I'll likely report back.

First one that gets it brings the other to the range.

But back to topic if you're looking to get your PAL and/or RPAL, I took mine with Silvercore and would recommend taking it with them. They have classes at different times but I ended up with a weekend one. It is also ridiculously cheap; something like 200 for the course and then you have the standard 75 to get the license via RCMP.

If you're looking to be part of a gun range, I would suggest Poco since it's pretty much the closest one and everyone there is a gun owner (more responsibility and accountability). I'm not knocking DVC but the environment is certainly different.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #39

If you get an sks as tour first rifle be ready to buy a second one real fast. They get pretty boring after a while since they have no accuracy and are a pita with cleaning.

I'd recommend a 10/22 for a first. Learn how to shoot on 500 round boxes of ammo for $30. And shooting 200 yards with a 22 is harder than shooting 600 yards with a 308 and will teach you more.
Posted via RS Mobile
RRxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #40
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
If you get an sks as tour first rifle be ready to buy a second one real fast. They get pretty boring after a while since they have no accuracy and are a pita with cleaning.

I'd recommend a 10/22 for a first. Learn how to shoot on 500 round boxes of ammo for $30. And shooting 200 yards with a 22 is harder than shooting 600 yards with a 308 and will teach you more.
Posted via RS Mobile
My sks gives me awesome accuracy.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 04-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #41
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Surprised to see some PCDHFC here members here My friend runs the black badge class there for IPSC
jinxcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:23 PM   #42
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
I shoot my buddies polytech m14 every couple months it's pretty bad ass
Posted via RS Mobile
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:47 PM   #43
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
SKS had great accuracy for what it is IMO my brother got his first two deer with one using the iron sights
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #44
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
hahaha tell me about it.

If I end up getting one, I'll likely report back.

First one that gets it brings the other to the range.

But back to topic if you're looking to get your PAL and/or RPAL, I took mine with Silvercore and would recommend taking it with them. They have classes at different times but I ended up with a weekend one. It is also ridiculously cheap; something like 200 for the course and then you have the standard 75 to get the license via RCMP.

If you're looking to be part of a gun range, I would suggest Poco since it's pretty much the closest one and everyone there is a gun owner (more responsibility and accountability). I'm not knocking DVC but the environment is certainly different.
+1 for silvercore, took the 2 day weekend course for PAL/RPAL and actually learned a lot. Found it fun.

Quote:
I shoot. Member of Oceola Fish and Game club in Kelowna/Lake Country but shoot 50% there, 50% in the bush.

Got into shooting originally to get a shotgun for bear defense when camping solo a million miles from anywhere, and quickly got hooked. Mainly shoot for fun, but will get into hunting in a year or 2 as well.

Currently have these 2 badboys, with a Rem700P-LTR on the way as I want to get into precision shooting to 800 yards +.

Spoiler!

Also have a scope and bipod for the SR and shoot that out to 150+ yards but its not really meant for accuracy
Nice SR22, I want one
Old 04-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #45
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I have restricted and non restricted with half a dozen guns. We usually head up to TMSA because it's way less busy then the poco range. I've also shot at Abbotsford which is a really nice range and DVC a few times.

Sylvester Road in Mission used to have some nice gravel pits to shoot at after a drive up a gravel road but apparently it's a mess there now with people not cleaning up after themselves. Haven't been there in a few years though so maybe it has gotten better.

I wish there were some longer distances to shoot at locally. I think Poco has the longest at 200 yards.
stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #46

What do you guys mean by great accuracy? 4moa groups? lol

It is definitely fun to have a legitimate Russian war rifle for $200. And when you stop and think about that, it is pretty cool that such a thing is even available. Something that was the main military killing machine of the Solviet and Chinese armies 50 years ago can be easily had, very cheap.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #47
CRS

Quote:
What do you guys mean by great accuracy? 4moa groups? lol

It is definitely fun to have a legitimate Russian war rifle for $200. And when you stop and think about that, it is pretty cool that such a thing is even available. Something that was the main military killing machine of the Solviet and Chinese armies 50 years ago can be easily had, very cheap.
Well, I would imagine that any shooter can get a 3.5 moa on it and better shooters can get 1 or 2 moa.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 04-19-2014, 11:42 PM   #48

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
PAL/RPAL

Refuse to hunt, strictly sport shooting.

Me and the gf and friends load up the truck with 2 boxes of clays (will last all day), clay thrower, few 12 gauge shotguns, several rifles, dozens of targets + staple gun, truck full of fire wood and camping chairs and head up to stave lake. Once were about 20+ km into the mountain there's spots where you'll find areas that have been logged down and you'll find millions of empty casings on the ground...that's where most ppl shoot. After were done, head to the mud flats and have a bon fire and get muddy and put the winches and tow straps to use

I have shotguns, rifles/some tactical, and a couple vintage rifles from the early 1900's handed down from my grandfather to my dad to me.

Buying a kimber 1911 custom ii in stainless sometime this summer.

Shooting is fun, but can get expensive lol
Posted via RS Mobile
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:49 PM   #49
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I'm curious why you refuse to hunt, stewie?
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:58 PM   #50

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
I enjoy shooting targets as a sport, but in the end I like animals way to much. I can't bring myself to kill one for sport just so I can mount it's antlers on my wall. Hunting a just not for me, I don't want to see an animal die....but I'll eat the food when I buy it in the grocery store..

So yeah, I won't go hunting..lol
Posted via RS Mobile
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: