REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 08-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #426
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Hondaracer, sweet looking SKS. What kind of sight do you have on the front? Any problems with it shifting when you take off the gas tube to clean the gun?

Finally got a chance to shoot my SKS -- put about 200 rounds through it ... iron sights

I would be down for a RS shooters meet, maybe we could go up north somewhere and explore dat dere wilderness and then blow it up
Advertisement
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #427
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
stewie - I just got a rifle in the mail, I still have the box and wrapping - you can have it if you need it.

I am spending a lot of time with my K31 and I am really liking how it shoots. I put a Zeiss Terra 3X 4-12X42 scope on it and my grouping is getting there. I like. Also shot a beautiful Winchester 1894 in 44 MAG that I bought with the intentions of giving it to my friend....after shooting it, though.....I kinda want one. lol
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #428

Time to add some pics on this page. Impressed with the K31's open sights grouping, I decided to order the SwissProducts scope-mount and then added a Zeiss Terra 3X 4-12x42 onto the rifle. This thing is just great to shoot, though my shoulder might disagree after 30+ rounds. I only shot about 20 rounds today - took about 8 rounds to sight the scope I figure.

Here is how the offset looks. The casings now hit the scope and side eject rather than popping straight up and back, landing on my neck.

And here was the final outcome from 5 rounds @ 75 yards. The first shot was the one to the far left. Couple clicks on the scope put me a little over right, but good enough for my liking for now.

This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2014, 07:57 AM   #429
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,900 Times in 3,864 Posts
I'm not sure if it was already posted on here, but apparently people like to stash stuff behind the plate on old guns. Might be worth taking a peak if you've got it on the bench already.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #430

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I'm not sure if it was already posted on here, but apparently people like to stash stuff behind the plate on old guns. Might be worth taking a peak if you've got it on the bench already.
Yes, I have found the ID Tag behind the butt plate. I even traced it to a fellow in Switzerland that died two years ago. K31 ID Tags
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #431
Rs has made me the man i am today!

here are a few of my toys, lots more in the safe but don't have any pics.

Top one is mine, just picked it up 3 days ago Semi Auto 12G

My long rage shooter Savage 10TR in a Tac21 Chassis

My T97.. what a blast to shoot

An old shot of my pistol and Maverick 88 pump
Eternal_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2014, 05:12 PM   #432

I had bought a motion detecting LED light at Lee Valley a long time ago to use for my kids, but my house never really gets dark, so I decided to mount it in one of my gun safes. It works great to see the top shelf and all the guns in the safe (though the picture is dark) - it turns on as soon as I open the door and stays on for 60 seconds if there is movement. You can adjust the time to stay on up to 90 seconds and also the brightness of the LEDs. (I'm giving the Red Rider to my son for Xmas).

LED Infrared Detection Light - Lee Valley Tools

Since the safe was open, I decided to pull out my 7mm MAG and K31 and go to the range again. Managed 1 MOA at 200 yards on the 7mm MAG but was shooting low on the K31. My shoulder was/is a little soar from all the time at the range lately so I didn't want to shoot more and zero my scope on the K31.

Anyways, I had seen a target tree similar to originalhypa's at CT here in town the other day and after thinking it over I decided to go back there and buy it. It said it was $79.99 but it came up as $50.00 at the till, I asked them to check that and they did, and said that was the price. Okay. It isn't listed on their website, but here it is:

and then set-up:

I'm taking an old TV and 10lbs of Tannerite up to my friend's house in Whistler tomorrow. Not sure if we'll have time to set it off, but I'm curious about the outcome.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #433

Very nice. What brand did you go with? I got quite a few pounds of shockwave
Old 08-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #434

^ I think it's just called Tannerite. Did they ask to see your driver's licence and write your info down? I was told the Feds require this if you buy this stuff - wasn't thrilled about that bit
Old 08-23-2014, 06:15 AM   #435

I ordered it online when they were first available. So I'm sure they got all my info
Old 08-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #436
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
I love the T97 with the FTU. I think it's time for me to order one, now that I have enough rounds through it to know it works well.

Also, props on the target tree, Zed. Next time I come through Squamish I'll pop into the Cdn Tire and see if they have any more in stock. For $50, I'll buy two!
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #437

yeah.. the FTU makes a world of a difference.. love the fact they use AR mags and i ended up picking up 10 LAR15 mags and coupled them together
Old 08-25-2014, 08:26 PM   #438

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Also, props on the target tree, Zed. Next time I come through Squamish I'll pop into the Cdn Tire and see if they have any more in stock. For $50, I'll buy two!
There was only one, or I would have bought another. Though today I did score a bunch of new metal targets for free. I'll get pics tomorrow
Old 08-27-2014, 11:15 AM   #439
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
I totally forget about this thread since it moved.

Trying to get my hands on a Ruger SR1911 for a good price. Had a deal fall through for $550 because the person ended up selling to a friend.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #440

Well, I wanted to try 150+ yard shooting with my 10/22 today but it was just too windy. So, after not hitting my new 3/8" thick metal targets at 150 yards and 200 yards, I decided to point my K31 and a few with my 30-30 at them. The 7.5x55 Swiss went right through the targets, the low shots were the 30-30 and one didn't make it through the pole, the bullet is still inside.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:01 PM   #441

I found a neat 20g shotgun for cheap, thought it would also be good to teach my wife to shoot a bigger bore. It is an Ithaca 900 semi auto and the whole barrel slides back as part of the inertia system to eject the shells - it sounds like artillery when firing from all the moving metal. It has some dings and scratches but I picked it up for $240 with 100 target shells.

This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #442

I had a hard time separating with it, but I gave a beautiful Winchester 94 Cherokee to my children's God Father. He already has a few different .44 MAG guns, but he always wanted a .44 Lever, so I gave him a nice one.

Holds 11 in the tube and 4 in the stock

This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #443
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

My ever so slowly growing collection

sp00n is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #444
nns

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Passed the PAL/RPAL exam today
Old 09-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #445

The wife finally had a day off on the weekend, so I decided to do a bunch of work on my guns that I have been putting off. I disassembled my takedown 12g, also disassembled my friend's Savage 24 and glued some cracks and then sanded (and sanded some more) the stock to get ready for refinishing.

After it cooled down, I decided to finally tackle my 10/22. So I tore it apart and did the auto-release mod and then I lightened the trigger as well. I thought I screwed it up but I had the spring next to the hammer in upside down - swapped that around and it works great now. Should have done these a long time ago.

Trigger mod

Auto-bolt release mod

This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #446

I had a friend down from Whistler this morning and I convinced him to come to the trap tournament at my range today. I've only shot trap once and that was for three rounds. Anyways, I wanted to try out this 20g I picked up.

A few of the seniors there were admiring it and I picked it up and handed it to him.
He said, "Oh that's light".
I replied, "Yeah, its just a 20g".
"You know 20g is a little light for trap here"
"I don't really care, I just got the gun and I want to shoot it."

Managed 2 rounds of 15 (and one 12), placing me second twice. I heard a lot of excuses from others complaining about their scores and that it was too windy etc etc - but I was quite happy with 15 - especially seeing as how it was only my second time shooting trap and also coming from my light little 20g.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #447
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

great job zed, i have yet to try skeet or trap

i hate to do this but i think im going to have to sell my dd v7.

hope everyone has a good weekend and enjoys whats left of summer
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #448
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Good call on the basic 10/22 mods, Zed. You can spend a fortune building up a 10/22, and it will shoot really well. But at the end of the day you'll end up with a $1500 10/22 that plinks squirrels at 300 yards. There are so many better ways to spend the budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus View Post
i hate to do this but i think im going to have to sell my dd v7.
That's too bad, as it's a really nice firearm. Good luck with the sale. I still lust over that little Sig patrol with the 100 round barrel mag, but a V7 is a nice alternative.

Also, I'll be popping by the shop today. I'm looking for a Magpul type foregrip for my T97. My back is finally getting better, and I still haven't shot that new target I picked up back in July. What can I say, it was mountain biking season.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #449
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

good seeing you

those ammo cans are back in stock and some k31 and a tokarev just came in

parting ways with my v7 =c all i can hope is that it gets the range time it deserves
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Good call on the basic 10/22 mods, Zed. You can spend a fortune building up a 10/22, and it will shoot really well. But at the end of the day you'll end up with a $1500 10/22 that plinks squirrels at 300 yards. There are so many better ways to spend the budget.
Yeah, I was looking at a hammer and thought - why not just file it first, buy the hammer if I screw up. Some people dump a lot into their 10/22's, I'd rather dump that into other guns. (Though I did buy another stock and will maybe, slowly, eventually, do a custom build 10/22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus View Post
good seeing you

those ammo cans are back in stock and some k31 and a tokarev just came in
I love my K31 - it has become my favourite to shoot. Do you have any in really really good shape? Mine is chewed up pretty good.