REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 09-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #451
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Well, I tried to hide it from the wife but it didn't turn out that way - another shotgun showed up in the mail today. Impressed with how my Ithaca long recoil shoots, I decided to look into picking up an old Breda semi-auto long recoil in 12 gauge. These shotguns were considered as extremely well engineered for their days, designed to be taken apart without tools and very well made. Mine is in excellent shape with only a couple of safe dings on the lower stock. Inners are excellent as well. Took it to the range and it shoots great - I'm liking it.

I emailed Breda to confirm the build date, but this is more than likely an early '60s production. http://www.gundigest.com/gun-collect...-breda-shotgun

It came with three outer barrel threaded chokes

Poor picture, but it even has a magazine lock - something you usually only see on military guns

She's a beaut and the internals look almost new.

Advertisement
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #452
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
I let my SKS sit for too long after shooting it and the bolt/firing pin is looking pretty grungy

Just curious, how do you guys get the brownish discoloration off the surface of the bolt assembly?
I scrubbed the shit out of it with a stiff nylon brush + solvents but there's still some that remains .. I have some fine steel wool but was advised not to use that on the bolt
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #453
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Get some wipeout gun cleaner foam.

Cover the bolt in that stuff and let it sit an hour. Brush, wipe, spray, repeat.

Best cleaner ive used so far.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #454
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
I let my SKS sit for too long after shooting it and the bolt/firing pin is looking pretty grungy
I found that the tip of my sks barrel is the same way. I cleaned it up after shooting it last, but I guess I missed the end of the barrel. It took a little scrubbing, but it's clean now.

T4 has a good idea. I used something different, but in the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
he always wanted a .44 Lever, so I gave him a nice one.
That is a really cool gun. The lever action is so engaging for the shooter. Like a pump shotgun, there's a process involved in getting it ready to fire, and I love that process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus View Post
good seeing you
Right back at you, man.

It's so nice to be off the pain meds, and able to walk around and talk to people again. August was a write off for me, but the trip to your store the other day was just what I needed to get back into life again.

And here's the result.

Quote:
Some people dump a lot into their 10/22's, I'd rather dump that into other guns. (Though I did buy another stock and will maybe, slowly, eventually, do a custom build 10/22)
I was at Wanstalls a couple months ago, looking for some 10/22 bits. I was thinking I could buy a basic trigger kit for about $50 and fit it all in. They only had the full blown Dlask trigger kit for $300. Now, I would have bought it because it's the last piece I need to build a new 10/22 from spare parts. Problem was, it was missing a couple minor pieces to complete my parts gun. I checked into those parts, and found that it would be cheaper for me to buy a 10/22 for parts.

The 10/22 world is completely fucked. But they're a lot of fun to shoot.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2014, 04:58 PM   #455

^ hical sells a lot of individual 10/22 parts. All their shipping costs are $10. Firearm Accessories - 10-22 Rifle - High Caliber Services Corp

Reliable has the Rock Island barreled action for sale, though I think they have proprietary barrels. Reliable Gun Vancouver, 3227 Fraser Street, Vancouver BC, Canada. Armscor Rock Island Armory 10/22 Semi-Auto Barrelled Rifle Action - 22 LR, 18.5", Contoured Ordnance Steel, 1:6", Parkerized, No Stock (Barrelled Action Only), 10rds, Bead Ramp w/Fibre

$300 for just a trigger set is too much in my eyes. I'd buy another K31 first. And it's good you're off the meds - they serve their purpose but then themselves can become the issue
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #456
they call me the snowman

Quote:
And it's good you're off the meds - they serve their purpose but then themselves can become the issue
My wife was worried about the pain killers, but I put her mind at ease. I told her that I enjoy drinking far more than taking pills, and can only do one at a time. I then cracked a bottle of JD and drank myself to sleep. Like a boss.

Srsly though, getting old sucks. I won't be shooting this weekend, but instead plan on taking the boy fishing up at Nita or Alta lake.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #457
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
I found that the tip of my sks barrel is the same way. I cleaned it up after shooting it last, but I guess I missed the end of the barrel. It took a little scrubbing, but it's clean now.

T4 has a good idea. I used something different, but in the same way.

That is a really cool gun. The lever action is so engaging for the shooter. Like a pump shotgun, there's a process involved in getting it ready to fire, and I love that process.

Right back at you, man.

It's so nice to be off the pain meds, and able to walk around and talk to people again. August was a write off for me, but the trip to your store the other day was just what I needed to get back into life again.

And here's the result.

I was at Wanstalls a couple months ago, looking for some 10/22 bits. I was thinking I could buy a basic trigger kit for about $50 and fit it all in. They only had the full blown Dlask trigger kit for $300. Now, I would have bought it because it's the last piece I need to build a new 10/22 from spare parts. Problem was, it was missing a couple minor pieces to complete my parts gun. I checked into those parts, and found that it would be cheaper for me to buy a 10/22 for parts.

The 10/22 world is completely fucked. But they're a lot of fun to shoot.

congrats on the T97. i love mine... once you get teh FTU its almost like its a totally different rifle
Eternal_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:42 PM   #458

I was itching to get out and blast some clays so I asked my boys and my International student if they wanted to try shooting - they all said yes. So up the hill we went and I got to show my sons how to shoot, I got to shoot some fast rounds through the SKS, and I got to blast some clays with my new shotgun. Win/win.

Last edited by Zedbra; 09-22-2014 at 06:06 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #459
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
That boy in the blue looks REALLY young...
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
That boy in the blue looks REALLY young...
The last pic? He's turning 17. They can't own guns in Brazil, where he's from - so this was all new to him. He loved it - especially shooting trap. My youngest son is just 4 and my oldest is turning 6 - the same age I was taught to shoot.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2014, 11:17 PM   #461

No. The toddler that looks 3 years old in the 1st picture

Edit: got it. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:22 AM   #462
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal_SiR View Post
congrats on the T97. i love mine... once you get teh FTU its almost like its a totally different rifle
I think it's time for me to order the FTU. Even if I don't go with an optic, I had the chance to try some sick sights yesterday, and really liked them.

I was hitting the 10" gong at 100 yards with the horrible open T97 sights, so the Troy sights should be a huge upgrade.

Quote:
the same age I was taught to shoot.
I remember around the age of 9, my dad would drop smoke bombs in the rat holes under the barn, and I would sit at the exit with the .410 waiting for them to come running out. We were taught young about gun safety, and it's a way of life for me now.

My kids are always invited out to shoot with me, and they're just not interested. Guns around our house aren't mysterious. They're just tools that I happen to keep triple locked up.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:01 AM   #463
Rs has made me the man i am today!

those are very nice sights you posted there. I'm jsut waiting for T97.ca to come out with the new ambi mag release. Haven't decided if i like the lowers they are making. With all that money spent, might as well buy another gun.

If your looking for a nice shotty, Dlask has a semi 12 Ga for $299. The Derya X4, comes with pistol grip and muzzle break. Runs great and an awsome bang for the buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
I think it's time for me to order the FTU. Even if I don't go with an optic, I had the chance to try some sick sights yesterday, and really liked them.

I was hitting the 10" gong at 100 yards with the horrible open T97 sights, so the Troy sights should be a huge upgrade.

I remember around the age of 9, my dad would drop smoke bombs in the rat holes under the barn, and I would sit at the exit with the .410 waiting for them to come running out. We were taught young about gun safety, and it's a way of life for me now.

My kids are always invited out to shoot with me, and they're just not interested. Guns around our house aren't mysterious. They're just tools that I happen to keep triple locked up.
Eternal_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #464

After making a bunch of calls I finally found one red Savage Rascal in the Lower Mainland. Went and picked it up from Reliable this morning, and then had it our to the range to "test fire" it after work. Nice simple action, smooth bolt, it nicely ejects empty casings, and the sights are surprisingly accurate.

I'll be giving this to my boy for either his Bday or Xmas, but I figured I would get the search done early. Many shops have these Rascals on back order and have had on back order for a while.

This post thanked by:
Old 09-24-2014, 07:50 PM   #465
Survivor MOD

fine choice

my all-time favorite has to be my bolt action .22

get yourself a box of cb shorts and its absolutely hilarious how quiet the bastards are
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2014, 03:34 PM   #466
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

mini mags anyone? I've put some aside for RS unfortunately wasn't a big shipment
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #467

^ replied to your email.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2014, 06:43 AM   #468
they call me the snowman

I'll pop by today incubus.
It would be nice to have some mini mags again.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #469

I'll take some as well. These are the 36g hollow points?
Old 10-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #470

40g round nose copper plated

i'm doing a split today 8-1/ 4-8 if i'm not around ask for chad
Old 10-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #471

Doing my RPAL course on Sunday. Should be straight forward, though I have little time with hand guns
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #472

cool should be a breeze only thing I've noticed is that some guys get caught off guard with muzzle direction because of how short it is haha
Old 10-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #473
Survivor MOD

In search of a ruger gunsite scout without getting overcharged like some sellers are doin.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #474

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus View Post
cool should be a breeze only thing I've noticed is that some guys get caught off guard with muzzle direction because of how short it is haha
Nah, biggest thing is keeping your finger off the trigger lol. The second you pick up a handgun your finger wants to naturally fall onto the trigger. At least that's what I noticed
Old 10-04-2014, 09:13 AM   #475
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts

Just picked up one of these. Going to take it out and see how it shoots next weekend.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: