REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 10-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #501
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Deer steak!
tasty.

As for my choice, I would snag a vz58 with the shortest barrel I could, and fit it with a suppressor. Honestly, we have a lot of great choices when it comes to guns. I would love to add a suppressor to my collection. Mainly to cut down on the hearing loss that comes with lots of shooting.
Advertisement
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #502
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,615 Times in 574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus View Post
happy Fri, my Thursday but at least midterms are over

of prohibited didn't exist what would everyone's pick be? pistol and rifle etc?
are you asking if prohib didnt exist what would we carry...?

or just in terms of ownership.

for a concealed carry gun i'd probably get a Glock 27 if i'm concealing IWB. for shoulder holster probably a glock 19 or a sig p226.

in terms of just owning a prohib rifle? i would get a knights armament stoner lmg.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #503
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
I'm back and we got skunked except for a whole bunch of grouse. I saw a lot of moose, but cows, calves, and a few full racked bulls. I had a round chambered and cross hairs on a nice bull at 200 yards but I couldn't identify if it was an immature. Went back to the same area the next day, saw him again and he was a huge bull that I didn't have a licence for. I'll post some pics in the next few days

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus View Post

of prohibited didn't exist what would everyone's pick be? pistol and rifle etc?
I want an AA-12. Bad.

Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2014, 09:07 PM   #504
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
are you asking if prohib didnt exist what would we carry...?

or just in terms of ownership.

for a concealed carry gun i'd probably get a Glock 27 if i'm concealing IWB. for shoulder holster probably a glock 19 or a sig p226.

in terms of just owning a prohib rifle? i would get a knights armament stoner lmg.
Was talking to a friend about we'd carry if we lived in 'murrica.

First thing I'd buy is one of these:

and just walk around with 2xloaded M&P45's -- 10+1 in each (it's america so obviously you keep 1 in the chamber). Like a cowboy
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #505
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
I want an AA-12. Bad.
Call Of Duty "Modern Warfare" from 2009 was the shiznit mainly because the AA-12 was there. It was my favorite gun by far, and I've wanted one ever since.

Nice choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
and just walk around with 2xloaded M&P45's -- 10+1 in each (it's america so obviously you keep 1 in the chamber). Like a cowboy
Cross holstering?
$5 says you'll shoot off your dick one day. Or the dicks of the two guys beside you.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #506
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Call Of Duty "Modern Warfare" from 2009 was the shiznit mainly because the AA-12 was there. It was my favorite gun by far, and I've wanted one ever since.

Nice choice.

Cross holstering?
$5 says you'll shoot off your dick one day. Or the dicks of the two guys beside you.

I just wanna be able to pull a denzel if a situation arises

start smacking the barrels together ... then proceed to shoot myself in the obliques while re-holstering
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #507
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
always been in love with this body style of the AR:

Sig Sauer makes some nice variants but 5.56 is a little small for my liking.

Wonstalls has this thing for sale:

"Built by FAMAE in Chile in cooperation with SIG Sauer of Switzerland, the FAMAE SG542 is a license-produced version of the SG542 rifle for the Chilean military"

it's non-restricted and shoots a .308 so a little more punch, but it's $2,999 and a steep price to pay to have a clipped mag :/

as a more realistic gun [well not really by price] but in tandem with my 7mm i'd love to get a .338 Lapua from Sako:

i have a finnish background and all we shoot in terms of hunting rifles right now are Sako and Tikka, and that .338 would be my cannon for anything 7mm couldnt handle.

lots of people always go with the .300 winmag but in my experiance theres two types of people who shoot .300 win mag as their main gun. The guy who's been hunting all his life and goes after Grizzly and Bison on a consistant basis, and the guy who has no idea what he's doing and thought going bigger would be better.

i love the Wikipedia write up for the .338 lapua as well, "legal to use on Africa's 'big 5' when hunting elephants however it is recomended to have a larger caliber as backup" lol
Old 10-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #508
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

oh man if only suppressors were legal. you mean ak74 suppressed right

stoner lmg thats a great pick.

conceal carry would be a nice dream but unfortunately we live in Canada, it'd be nice to have that option just apply do a course or something.

Honda- theres ar-10 7.62x51 also theres ar chambered in 6.8 and 300blk is starting to get popular

but with ars being restricted 223/308 is fine paper cant tell the difference.

since we all love his videos

Famae are gorgeous i feel bad for all those swiss arms owners.

Sako/tika make great rifles i really wanna shoot my buddies sako 308 trg

I used to be big on the whole caliber talk and etc but a lot of people will say shot placement is always #1 and bullets have gone a long way in terms of construction and etc.

300 win mag is a great caliber you can always use lightly loaded ammo for smaller game.

wanstalls has this

pretty cool I'd love to have this

Last edited by incubus; 10-30-2014 at 07:16 PM.
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2014, 09:35 AM   #509
they call me the snowman

I checked out those tactical walls. Too bad Wanstalls didn't have the time to update their thread as to whether or not they were legal to be used to store firearms without a trigger lock.

Any status on my 870 parts coming in?
I'd like to get it fixed up so I can throw more Bubba parts on it.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #510

I'm starting my internal debate over which pistol I want to get first. I really want a S&W in 44 MAG, but it would be expensive to shoot and a little hard on the wrist, I may accept a .357 though. I love revolvers......BUT - then I shot my friend's Glock 20 and it felt just right in my hand and I grouped everything nice and tight and minimal kick for a .40

Whats RS's opinion - revolver vs semi?
Old 11-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #511
they call me the snowman

Imho, semi first then the wheel gun.
I started with my Sig 1911-22 to get a feel for the 1911 chassis and plink for cheap. Then moved on to the IWI 9mm in steel. It's a beautiful shooter. Next will be a 357/38 special revolver. Something about the mechanical nature of a revolver just makes me smile.

That said, you can't go wrong with a Glock. They're popular for a reason, and I find they fit well in your hand. As for the larger caliber, the 44 was chosen by the FBI to replace their standard 9mm when body armor became more common. They couldn't take down a perp without multiple shots unless they were using the large caliber. So unless you're a wealthy mofo who can afford to blow off $5 every time you empty a mag, or you need the stopping power, it's not worth it to go the large bore pistols.

I had a lot more fun shooting a 38 special at DVC, than the 44 magnum my brother was shooting. Don't get me wrong, I'm no pussy. I'll shoot my Remington 870 with 3" slugs from my hip without breaking a sweat. But that 44 mag was a cannon, for sure. Honestly, if you're going to go big, go Desert Eagle big with the 44 mag/50 cal kit with interchangeable barrels.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #512
Survivor MOD

I picked up a glock 19 from incubus followed by a ruger sr 1911.

Looking at a glock 22 and browning hi-power in the foreseeable future and maybe a p226. Hoping to get a ruger mark 3 hunter by end of year.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #513

I want to stick to 10mm or larger calibre - and all the SIGs I like are right out of the budget. I'll have to go visit incubus, see what fits both my large hands and the budget
Old 11-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #514
Survivor MOD

if you're looking for a do it all calibre, might as well go with a .40 imo.

glock 22 gen 4 is a nice choice especially since you have the adjustable back straps.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #515

^ we were firing .40 through a 10mm Glock 20. I liked the combo

Old 11-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #516
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
.40 s&w will cycle through a 10mm glock but that doesn't imply it is safe........
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #517

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
.40 s&w will cycle through a 10mm glock but that doesn't imply it is safe........
the same can be said for many of the car mods talked about around here....yet people keep doing it.

Anyways, not saying I'm gonna do it, but I've seen it and I liked the .40 rounds. Still my mind goes back to revolvers, though.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:16 AM   #518
Survivor MOD

If you do go with a wheel gun id say you'll be fine with a .357. You can practice and plink with .38 and if you need knockdown power you can get heavier hardcast rounds in +p. Also if you get a nice levergun in .357 it provides some versatility in terms of what to run your ammo in.

in regards to the .40 in a 10mm. i personally wouldnt do it. the gun wasnt designed to operate on .40 and if you feed a steady diet of it there is a potential for catastrophic failure (i.e. gun blows apart in your hand). the .40 is shorter than the 10mm so you will run into issues with headspacing and the round seating properly in the barrel.

Last edited by T4RAWR; 11-06-2014 at 04:26 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #519
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
the same can be said for many of the car mods talked about around here....yet people keep doing it.

Didn't your momma ever teach you about Glocks?

And I like Glocks too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
If you do go with a wheel gun id say you'll be fine with a .357. You can practice and plink with .38 and if you need knockdown power you can get heavier hardcast rounds in +p.
This leads me to the question, what do you need knockdown power for?
For the most part, restricted weapons are safe queens and range toys. Unless something changes and we can carry a sidearm in the bush, I wouldn't worry about stopping power. I would be more worried about the cost of the round, and the accuracy of the pistol.

Although I do appreciate your love of the +p rounds. It's nice when a buddy brings out something wild like a 45 revolver, or a Desert Eagle. I like shooting other people's big bore guns.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #520
Survivor MOD

I run 300 gr hardcast +p stuff in my .44 mag lever gun for protection in the woods.

I suppose i was thinking more along the lines of dual purpose. Who knows maybe zedbra will get a placer claim and acquire a watc so he can carry his revolver for protection on his claim lol. Or maybe hes just preparing for zombies like the rest of us
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #521

You never know when you may need some powerful pepper spray.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #522
they call me the snowman

.44 mag lever gun

very cool.

I should be getting my t97.ca flat top for the norinco today. Finally bit the bullet and ordered it, now I need an optic.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #523
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
.44 mag lever gun

very cool.

I should be getting my t97.ca flat top for the norinco today. Finally bit the bullet and ordered it, now I need an optic.
congrats on the FTU.. its the best thing ever. My nest project is to make my own abi mag release. Picking up at 3D Printer at work in the next few days so i can design my own before machining one. Oh the possibilities i have now with all my firearms.
Eternal_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #524
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
Sent out our SKS triggers to a guy in Texas who machines them to actually have a nice pull not that loose 3/4" pull lol

I always tend to yank that first round because he trigger is so loose
Old 11-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Sent out our SKS triggers to a guy in Texas who machines them to actually have a nice pull not that loose 3/4" pull lol

I always tend to yank that first round because he trigger is so loose
How much does this cost? Will there be any issues with shipping the triggers back up to Canada?
This post thanked by: